U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What choice(s) best desribes your feelings on legalizing marijuana
Yes, absolutely. And with no restrictions applied 36 34.29%
No, definitely not. Penalties should remain as they are under Texas law 12 11.43%
Legal, but with some minor fines for under an ounce 4 3.81%
Legal, but only for personal use. Sales should be restricted to state government control 38 36.19%
Allowed to grow your own, but not sell 17 16.19%
Allowed to grow your own, and sell. 10 9.52%
Legal only for medical use 14 13.33%
No opinion/not sure 2 1.90%
Other (please explain) 4 3.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,511,991 times

Advertisements

I know Texas probably doesn't want the California perspective on this, but California has this one right.

That is, as long as its a federal issue, California voters seem content to not ruffle the Feds' feathers too much, while still working toward legitimizing pot. It is legal for medical consumption and sale here, but that's only part of it.

In San Francisco, possession of less than an ounce has been "de-prioritized" by the SFPD--med card or not. That means you can legally smoke in public without fear of arrest, ticket, or anything. Now, if you are doing something else you shouldn't be doing and you happen to have weed on you, you can be charged, but the days of hassling people for a joint are long gone. I saw a guy (must have been a tourist) light up a joint on the street today without realizing a cop was approaching him. He got this panicked look on his face and tried to hide it when he finally saw the cop, but the cop just walked right by him.

The weed here is also top quality and unadulterated. A simple phone call can have it delivered to your home or office in a sealed glass jar, sometimes with a pack of gummy bears, too. You may pick your strength and the type of weed you prefer (sativa, indica, hybrid) and you can even get edibles. It's easy to get a card or know someone with a card and its not a big deal at all.

Places like this are quite common:
https://www.stickyguide.com/dispensa...patients-group

If it were fully legal here, I think California would draw too much scrutiny from the Feds with the current state of national law. I'm still waiting to see the headaches WA and CO have brought upon themselves, but I give them credit for blazing the trail (pun intended). There are periodic crackdowns here every couple of years, but the genie is out of the bottle. I think the Feds know they cant go back in CA. we play nice here, too and keep the policies on a city-level, so as not to interfere with our more conservative friends inland. I think our level of legalization is perfect. Pot is out of reach of minors, but is actually less regulated than alcohol here in terms of use, for responsible people of age. Sales are somewhat restricted, but still very open. It works well.

Last edited by dalparadise; 08-29-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:22 PM

9,223 posts, read 14,412,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I know Texas probably doesn't want the California perspective on this, but California has this one right.

That is, as long as its a federal issue, California voters seem content to not ruffle the Feds' feathers too much, while still working toward legitimizing pot. It is legal for medical consumption and sale here, but that's only part of it.

In San Francisco, possession of less than an ounce has been "de-prioritized" by the SFPD--med card or not. That means you can legally smoke in public without fear of arrest, ticket, or anything. Now, if you are doing something else you shouldn't be doing and you happen to have weed on you, you can be charged, but the days of hassling people for a joint are long gone. I saw a guy (must have been a tourist) light up a joint on the street today without realizing a cop was approaching him. He got this panicked look on his face and tried to hide it when he finally saw the cop, but the cop just walked right by him.

The weed here is also top quality and unadulterated. A simple phone call can have it delivered to your home or office in a sealed glass jar, sometimes with a pack of gummy bears, too. You may pick your strength and the type of weed you prefer (sativa, indica, hybrid) and you can even get edibles. It's easy to get a card or know someone with a card and its not a big deal at all.

Places like this are quite common:
https://www.stickyguide.com/dispensa...patients-group

If it were fully legal here, I think California would draw too much scrutiny from the Feds. There are already periodic crackdowns every couple of years, but the genie is out of the bottle. I think our level of legalization is perfect. Pot is out of reach of minors, but is actually less regulated than alcohol here in terms of use, for responsible people of age. Sales are somewhat restricted, but still very open. It works well.
Nah, California is behind Washington and Colorado. You guys need to keep up.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Nah, California is behind Washington and Colorado. You guys need to keep up.
Read my post. California has been at the forefront of pot legalization and remains so. I truly believe the combination of medical legalization with city-level decisions on decriminalization or "de-prioritization" which is legalization without it being a federal or state matter is more effective, because it posesless of a threat to the state's right to regulate the sale of pot. If you open it up, as CO and WA have, flying in the face of the Feds, you will surely get your hand slapped at some point.

I can't imagine pot being any more legal than it is in SF. Youre more likely to get ticketed for drinking on the street than You are for smoking pot in California. CA loves its weed and its a major source of agricultural revenue in places like Humboldt County. That's why CA is outwardly conservative, yet inwardly permissive with regard to weed.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 AM

568 posts, read 788,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
True. I know some and was surprised to find out, you would never know it. But maybe we're all talking about two different things. I know some people who have a few hits after a long day in the same way I'll have a glass of wine or a cocktail. I've also known people who smoke all day every day. Two different animals altogether. The latter is whom I refer to when I use the term "stoner".
The definition of stoner is debatable but I am not going to argue over semantics. I would agree that most people who smoke routinely throughout the day are probably not as productive. Moderation is the key just like with alcohol.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 AM

9,223 posts, read 14,412,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Read my post. California has been at the forefront of pot legalization and remains so. I truly believe the combination of medical legalization with city-level decisions on decriminalization or "de-prioritization" which is legalization without it being a federal or state matter is more effective, because it posesless of a threat to the state's right to regulate the sale of pot. If you open it up, as CO and WA have, flying in the face of the Feds, you will surely get your hand slapped at some point.

I can't imagine pot being any more legal than it is in SF. Youre more likely to get ticketed for drinking on the street than You are for smoking pot in California. CA loves its weed and its a major source of agricultural revenue in places like Humboldt County. That's why CA is outwardly conservative, yet inwardly permissive with regard to weed.
Yeah, its all the growers in California that are helping keep it illegal there. Still behind Colorado and Washington because there are a ton of growers there too. Texas is way behind all of those states though. Texas is even behind Louisiana and Arkansas. Can't believe the Arkansas was that close to passing medical marijuana last election and Louisiana is looking into decriminalizing it. I think Texas will have to be grouped in with the other states that are forced to make it legal because more than half the country has it legal or something. The big cities in Texas will probably look less at it. Cops in Houston at least let you dispose of your weed or just want to give you the speeding ticket and get on with their day, etc. As long as you don't dress like a thugster.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM

54,655 posts, read 42,943,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
I'll admit that I am shocked how many fellow Texans agree with legalization. If the posters, who represent various political affiliations, represent a true sample of the rest of Texas, then why has this issue not been brought before the voters of this state to decide?
Probably because it's not really a, errrr, BURNING issue to most people.

Me for instance - I don't care if it's legalized, but since I don't smoke it anyway, and probably wouldn't if it was legal, it doesn't matter one way or another to me. I pick my battles!

But I encourage anyone who feels passionate about it one way or another, to get out there and work that system!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 AM

8,931 posts, read 12,521,933 times
I'm dying to know: once/if weed becomes legalized and regulated in this state, how many of you would consider giving it another go?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:28 AM

54,655 posts, read 42,943,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm dying to know: once/if weed becomes legalized and regulated in this state, how many of you would consider giving it another go?
Oh, I definitely would, as a lark. However, I much prefer a good glass or two of wine.

Not saying I have ever broken any laws , but IF I had ever smoked weed, I would be the type of weed buddy that no one likes. I would find everything hilarious for the first few minutes, then I would get all morose and maudlin, and cry about something stupid, like the chicken farm scene in Napoleon Dynamite or the way I yelled at one of my kids for running out into the street twenty years ago, and then I would get hungry, dig around unsuccessfully for Doritos, and decide we needed to go to the store RIGHT NOW and get some - then I'd be incredibly paranoid the entire time thinking that everyone we passed was an undercover cop and that I was going to be spending the night in jail because I was stoned in public.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:00 PM

14,648 posts, read 21,253,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
and Louisiana is looking into decriminalizing it.
..say whaa?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:12 PM

19,194 posts, read 28,708,750 times
I use to be a chimney back in the day. Sorry (not really because I loved it). I voted for Yes with no regulations because it was the closest answer that fits me. I also put it as grow your own but no selling. Does that contradict my answers? If so, blame it on the weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas