Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What choice(s) best desribes your feelings on legalizing marijuana
Yes, absolutely. And with no restrictions applied 36 34.29%
No, definitely not. Penalties should remain as they are under Texas law 12 11.43%
Legal, but with some minor fines for under an ounce 4 3.81%
Legal, but only for personal use. Sales should be restricted to state government control 38 36.19%
Allowed to grow your own, but not sell 17 16.19%
Allowed to grow your own, and sell. 10 9.52%
Legal only for medical use 14 13.33%
No opinion/not sure 2 1.90%
Other (please explain) 4 3.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, I definitely would, as a lark. However, I much prefer a good glass or two of wine.

Not saying I have ever broken any laws , but IF I had ever smoked weed, I would be the type of weed buddy that no one likes. I would find everything hilarious for the first few minutes, then I would get all morose and maudlin, and cry about something stupid, like the chicken farm scene in Napoleon Dynamite or the way I yelled at one of my kids for running out into the street twenty years ago, and then I would get hungry, dig around unsuccessfully for Doritos, and decide we needed to go to the store RIGHT NOW and get some - then I'd be incredibly paranoid the entire time thinking that everyone we passed was an undercover cop and that I was going to be spending the night in jail because I was stoned in public.
Sounds like a buzzkill. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 02:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Sounds like a buzzkill. lol
Oh, and then I would insist on flushing the rest of the bag down the drain because I "don't like the way this stuff makes me feel!"

Yes - a definite buzzkill. I would need to wear a shirt that says, "Don't smoke weed with this woman - you will be wasting your money."

Old 08-30-2013, 02:17 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Actually, your 'story' sounds about like most people I have known . About the most life-wasting thing you can do is hang around a bunch of high people while you are stone-cold sober.... They are about as opposite of funny as can be.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:22 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
lol ah okay I got it now. I think Nevada has a policy like that. Basically you get a ticket if it's a small amount but no jail time.
Exactly! A small token fine for under a certain amount (whatever is settled upon to be that "under" amount). Just like a parking ticket or something.

Where it gets complicated (at least IMHO), is how much and what should the penalty be for much larger amounts (if any at all)?

The reason that one comes up is that very large amounts would indicate an intent to sell. And -- as it seems most on here agree -- sales of a bulk/retail variety should be subject to control by the state, as are tobacco and booze. That is, license the dealer and conduct it accordingly. The business owner makes a profit and the state gains revenue! Everyone is happy...except those who presently make a good living off of the fact it is now illegal!

Of course, I hasten to add, the sale of small amounts to a friend or neighbor -- as I see it -- should not be subject to any more restrictions than would be the case in selling them a case of beer! (pun intended! LOL)

Old 08-30-2013, 03:39 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Oh, I definitely would, as a lark. However, I much prefer a good glass or two of wine.

Not saying I have ever broken any laws , but IF I had ever smoked weed, I would be the type of weed buddy that no one likes. I would find everything hilarious for the first few minutes, then I would get all morose and maudlin, and cry about something stupid, like the chicken farm scene in Napoleon Dynamite or the way I yelled at one of my kids for running out into the street twenty years ago, and then I would get hungry, dig around unsuccessfully for Doritos, and decide we needed to go to the store RIGHT NOW and get some - then I'd be incredibly paranoid the entire time thinking that everyone we passed was an undercover cop and that I was going to be spending the night in jail because I was stoned in public.
ROFLMAO. Kathy? Did we ever perhaps meet in another day and age and share a joint?

But seriously, (although I never did anything illegal either, of course! *halo over head). Your tale brings back an idea for a short-story if I ever HAD done something like that.

It would begin with one of the two times I -- fictional second person you understand -- ever got "stoned".

Several of us were together at a party (all under age) and I broke up laughing like a loon over anything and everything. Someone would say "hey, it's 10 o'clock..., and that would crack me up for 20 minutes. After the laughing fit settled down, I ate up everything thing in sight. Uhhhh, "munchies" I think it was known as, huh?

Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Greetings fellow Texans!

The debate/discussion on the Capital Punishment poll was a good one...so here is another that might be a little more light-hearted! Maybe! LOL

It concerns legalizing marijuana (or pot, grass, weed, whatever!). Fellow Texan CT suggested it, and it sounds like a good one.

I have whomped up something...but admit I will probably get taken to task for not including some good options. This one was difficult to word with all the said...

So for that reason, I made it a "multiple choice" poll.

For myself, opinion wise? I was never into it, really. Back in high school I did it just to experiment and be "cool.". But actually, I always preferred to drink beer and cherry-vodka over smoking a joint! To be honest, it just never really did anything for me. LOL

But in any event, I always thought the penalty under Texas law (which up until 1973 could mean up to life in prison), was absolutely crazy. And even though the penalties have been greatly reduced over the years, I still really don't understand why it is such a big deal.

On a more personal parlance? Pot-heads have always irritated me a bit, because of their brain-dead lethargy...but I actually prefer them over a mean, obnoxious, drunk if I had to choose company back in the day! LOL

So go for it y'all. What do you all think? (gimme a minute to work it and post it).
Texas politicians are already brain dead so why not make the rest of the Electorate the same way?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Texas politicians are already brain dead so why not make the rest of the Electorate the same way?

pffffffttttt in your direction!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm dying to know: once/if weed becomes legalized and regulated in this state, how many of you would consider giving it another go?
Not me. It just isn't for me, and I did try it more than once...actually many, many times. I'm a slow learner. I laugh like a goon for a while, get paranoid, and then proceed to eat everything I can get my hands on. Nope, a glass of wine is my preferred drug of choice.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:13 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:

Loving this! LOL! Exactly. It just never worked for me.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Yeah, its all the growers in California that are helping keep it illegal there. Still behind Colorado and Washington because there are a ton of growers there too. Texas is way behind all of those states though. Texas is even behind Louisiana and Arkansas. Can't believe the Arkansas was that close to passing medical marijuana last election and Louisiana is looking into decriminalizing it. I think Texas will have to be grouped in with the other states that are forced to make it legal because more than half the country has it legal or something. The big cities in Texas will probably look less at it. Cops in Houston at least let you dispose of your weed or just want to give you the speeding ticket and get on with their day, etc. As long as you don't dress like a thugster.
Yeah, but its official policy here in SF not to ticket people for weed. That's a bit different than officer discretion, which is hit-and-miss in Texas. That's why I say California has it right--few problems with the Feds, and tax benefits, great distribution, high quality, huge production, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas