U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What choice(s) best desribes your feelings on legalizing marijuana
Yes, absolutely. And with no restrictions applied 36 34.29%
No, definitely not. Penalties should remain as they are under Texas law 12 11.43%
Legal, but with some minor fines for under an ounce 4 3.81%
Legal, but only for personal use. Sales should be restricted to state government control 38 36.19%
Allowed to grow your own, but not sell 17 16.19%
Allowed to grow your own, and sell. 10 9.52%
Legal only for medical use 14 13.33%
No opinion/not sure 2 1.90%
Other (please explain) 4 3.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,797,176 times

Advertisements

Greetings fellow Texans!

The debate/discussion on the Capital Punishment poll was a good one...so here is another that might be a little more light-hearted! Maybe! LOL

It concerns legalizing marijuana (or pot, grass, weed, whatever!). Fellow Texan CT suggested it, and it sounds like a good one.

I have whomped up something...but admit I will probably get taken to task for not including some good options. This one was difficult to word with all the said...

So for that reason, I made it a "multiple choice" poll.

For myself, opinion wise? I was never into it, really. Back in high school I did it just to experiment and be "cool.". But actually, I always preferred to drink beer and cherry-vodka over smoking a joint! To be honest, it just never really did anything for me. LOL

But in any event, I always thought the penalty under Texas law (which up until 1973 could mean up to life in prison), was absolutely crazy. And even though the penalties have been greatly reduced over the years, I still really don't understand why it is such a big deal.

On a more personal parlance? Pot-heads have always irritated me a bit, because of their brain-dead lethargy...but I actually prefer them over a mean, obnoxious, drunk if I had to choose company back in the day! LOL

So go for it y'all. What do you all think? (gimme a minute to work it and post it).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,330,065 times
Meh, I really don't care for it. To be fair, it probably shouldn't be considered any worse than alcohol, but weed smokers have always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. With their over the top claims of pot curing cancer to the whole "looking cool" attitude of it. I agree with Reb on the lethargy part.

As far as what the law wants to do about it, I guess I really don't care. I have no problem if it continues to be illegal, but if it become legalized, I guess I would deal with that, too. I wouldn't smoke it either way.

Just give me my beer, please!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:18 PM

9,430 posts, read 11,663,667 times
I agree with you, TexasReb. It doesn't appeal to me personally, and I did experiment back in my school days, but I don't get why it's treated like such a huge deal. I also agree with you about typical potheads, they bug me but like you I'd rather deal with them any day over mean drunks.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 PM

2,171 posts, read 2,774,974 times
I don't use it, but I don't think it should be a criminal justice matter. I could care less whether someone uses it recreationally or medically, if they are ADULTS and want to use it, then that should be permitted, with no penalties.

I'm fine with workplaces and schools setting up drug free zones though, and I think it should only be for adults 18 and over.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 PM

576 posts, read 443,990 times
I think it should be legal and sold/regulated like tobacco and alcohol. Decrimalizing this would free up resources to fight those drugs that cause the most harm to society, ie. meth, crack etc. This would also lessen the financial burden on law enforcement, the courts, and prisons. I don't use it myself, and haven't in more than a decade. I have no problem with an adult using it at home, but not in public around kids or people who don't want to be around it.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM

9,223 posts, read 14,393,363 times
Legal and be regulated like alcohol or cigarettes. The legalization tidal wave is sweeping across this country.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 PM

13,617 posts, read 30,315,525 times
I never could figure it out, completely - kind of the chicken or the egg first - does pot smoking make you dumb/unmotivated (all the time) or does being dumb/unmotivated point you to pot smoking? In conjunction with legalizing it, you would really have to add funding to unemployment funds, welfare, etc, or limit them more than they are now....

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 PM

8,931 posts, read 12,483,225 times
Legal and prohibitively expensive.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 PM

8,931 posts, read 12,483,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I never could figure it out, completely - kind of the chicken or the egg first - does pot smoking make you dumb/unmotivated (all the time) or does being dumb/unmotivated point you to pot smoking?
Neither. Plenty of ambitious and intelligent people use marijuana.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 PM

2,741 posts, read 4,857,661 times
I fall into the same category as most of you. I don't use it, tried it once just to see what all the hoop-la was about and to me, there was no hoop-la, so that was the alpha and omega as far as I was concerned.

Stoners can get on my nerves at times, too. LOL they can be goofy as fruitcakes, but to me, they're harmless, and like you said TR, can be better to be around than an old mean-ass drunk.

I'm with Ronnie that it should be sold to adults, 18 or over. I'm also in agreement with ctk0p7 that it should be used in a private place and not around kids. Of course, this is where problems can start. Always has to be some idiots that ruin things for others and can't you see it now . . . the pothead who thinks it's cool to get his little 3 year old boy high? Of course they can do it with pot being illegal as well, but they would have a harder time explaining the situation if it came to that, I'd think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas