Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:01 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazred View Post
I ment metros of a bigger proportion such as SA-A becoming one since San Antonio already has a pop. of 2 mil and Austin has a pop. of 1.5 in their metros when they connect they would have a combined pop. of about 6 mil since they really still have some space that is still very empty.and all those metros above aren't real metros there micro metros since they have smaller pops. I think i'm not to familiar with there pops.
All those areas I listed are indeed METROpolitan areas NOT micro.

Waco MSA 226,189
Killeen/Temple 351,322
Midland/Odessa 251,842
Bryan/College Station 192,152
Beaumont/Port Arthur 383,443

Waco/Temple/Killeen arent a combined metro area Yet! If they were there would be roughly 600,000. Hardly anything micro there.
Micropolitan definition........ United States micropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 07:24 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
I ment metros of a bigger proportion such as SA-A becoming one since San Antonio already has a pop. of 2 mil and Austin has a pop. of 1.5 in their metros when they connect they would have a combined pop. of about 6 mil since they really still have some space that is still very empty.and all those metros above aren't real metros there micro metros since they have smaller pops. I think i'm not to familiar with there pops.
Six million? More like 3.4-3.6 million.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:19 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,639 times
Driving the stretch from San Antonio to Austin, it is virtually all built up now. Sprawl from New Braunfels and San Marcos have inundated the stretch.

The stretch from Austin to Temple is starting to build up too.

The biggest void in creating a San Antonio-Dallas Megalopolis is the stretch from Waco to Dallas. Waxahachie is pretty much the only major "town" in between.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Driving the stretch from San Antonio to Austin, it is virtually all built up now. Sprawl from New Braunfels and San Marcos have inundated the stretch.

The stretch from Austin to Temple is starting to build up too.

The biggest void in creating a San Antonio-Dallas Megalopolis is the stretch from Waco to Dallas. Waxahachie is pretty much the only major "town" in between.
No, there is still empty space in between. Most of the growth around Austin is heading north anyway. Waxahachie isn't in between either. Waxahachie and ithe areas around I-35E are not growing south, but instead north.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:05 PM

Hillsboro is'nt really growing at all either. And all of Waco's growth is taking place on the west and southwest side of town.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
I see the DFW suburban areas reaching Oklahoma way before DFW and San Antonio become one continuous megalopolis. I don't believe any of us will see that type of megalopolis in our lifetime.

Great thread, JVTX72..this type of discussion was always popular in college when I was taking urban studies...which metros have the best chance of growing together, etc.
The ones that Guerilla mentioned earlier were always discussed.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I see the DFW suburban areas reaching Oklahoma way before DFW and San Antonio become one continuous megalopolis. I don't believe any of us will see that type of megalopolis in our lifetime.

Great thread, JVTX72..this type of discussion was always popular in college when I was taking urban studies...which metros have the best chance of growing together, etc.
The ones that Guerilla mentioned earlier were always discussed.
Very true. I have heard Melissa (north of McKinney) is starting to grow. Population in 2000 was about 1,000 people. Now it is close to 4,000 people.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:54 AM

70 posts, read 440,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Six million? More like 3.4-3.6 million.
No cause if you add them up right now they will equal that pop. but since they haven't connected yet when they do connect they will have a pop. of about twice what it would be now which is about 3.5 mil so 3.5+3.5 is 7mil cause if you look at google maps you can fit anther SA in the middle. We do have alot of development in between but we aren't fully connected yet so do the math.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
No cause if you add them up right now they will equal that pop. but since they haven't connected yet when they do connect they will have a pop. of about twice what it would be now which is about 3.5 mil so 3.5+3.5 is 7mil cause if you look at google maps you can fit anther SA in the middle. We do have alot of development in between but we aren't fully connected yet so do the math.
That is if they ever do connect.......Ever heard of a real estate bust. Ask anyone from Dallas or Houston, they know all too well. Its just a matter of time before the Austin and San Antonio areas suffer one.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
What year do you see them connecting? Neither Austin nor SA is suppose to be at 3.5 million until 2040+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas