Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That's unfortunately probably true--CO has really changed a lot over the last 30 years.

Even more unfortunate, the more people that move to Texas--the more liberal it's going to get. We're 25 million and counting, but I hope I'm very long gone before Texas turns blue--or even purple. Liberals move here--and want to change Texas into whatever it was that they left.

They complain about how conservative Texas is--well, if they don't like that, why move here in the first place?!?
Texas is probably already purple, but it will take Democrats a little while to get organized and field candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 AM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Texas is probably already purple, but it will take Democrats a little while to get organized and field candidates.
I should clarify that--Texas is not yet Virginia or Ohio, but it is getting close to a North Carolina kind of purple. Not yet even that, but it is moving that way. Politics change though, so you can't predict long term trends easily.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I should clarify that--Texas is not yet Virginia or Ohio, but it is getting close to a North Carolina kind of purple. Not yet even that, but it is moving that way. Politics change though, so you can't predict long term trends easily.
How do you figure that Texas is in any way purple? Mitt Romney took 57% of the vote in 2012, while Barack Obama only received 41%. Texas is still very red, and is likely to remain that way for some time.

I certainly hope that the poll you saw that indicates a Republican presidential victory in Colorado didn't come from the same source as all those polls you were citing last year that claimed Romney would win Colorado by a landslide... we all know how that turned out.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
How do you figure that Texas is in any way purple? Mitt Romney took 57% of the vote in 2012, while Barack Obama only received 41%. Texas is still very red, and is likely to remain that way for some time.

I certainly hope that the poll you saw that indicates a Republican presidential victory in Colorado didn't come from the same source as all those polls you were citing last year that claimed Romney would win Colorado by a landslide... we all know how that turned out.
for right now, but it is changing

Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
[quote=Cyborgt800;31211897]I'm about to move to Texas and I'm becoming worried.
I am seeing more and more stories like this one:

Men with rifles charged in 'open carry' demonstration at Starbucks | kens5.com San Antonio

Now, I know (sadly) that Texas is no where near as gun friendly as Texans like to believe it is, but at least it's not NY, IL or CA, however I never thought I'd be seeing news like this.
Texas isn't going the way of Colorado is it?

Is this type of stuff increasing or are these incidents more rare than they seem?

Well you seem to have a wild west notion of what Texas is like .We have law called rude display .If you don't 't agree then stay out as we have enough nuts like that guy. We take a deem view of trying to scare our women and children.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM

568 posts, read 901,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well you seem to have a wild west notion of what Texas is like .We have law called rude display .If you don't 't agree then stay out as we have enough nuts like that guy. We take a deem view of trying to scare our women and children.
Rude display is not a law.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
Rude display is not a law.
Yeah, I'm wondering about that one. And about the concept that Texan women and children are scared by the very sight of firearms. Most of the Texas women that I personally know HAVE firearms and know very well how to use them and how to handle them. As do quite a few of the children (I learned to shoot a rifle at age 8, a handgun at 12, and I was a late bloomer in that regard among my cohorts).

Old 09-05-2013, 08:19 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
A gun as a tool used for a specific, legal, purpose is fine by me. I've considered buying one myself at times.

A gun as the focal point of an ideological/political battle cry about some vague notion of "rights" or "liberty" is indicative of a deluded and fearful populace.

A gun is an object. It is not jesus, nor is it the bible or even the constitution. It's a thing. Stop worshipping false gods, gun nuts.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM

568 posts, read 901,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
A gun as a tool used for a specific, legal, purpose is fine by me. I've considered buying one myself at times.

A gun as the focal point of an ideological/political battle cry about some vague notion of "rights" or "liberty" is indicative of a deluded and fearful populace.

A gun is an object. It is not jesus, nor is it the bible or even the constitution. It's a thing. Stop worshipping false gods, gun nuts.
The irony...

Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
It appears those guys were out trying to create a scene of some sorts. They managed to. Although it is legal, it is not common, so I don't really mind someone calling the police. I don't think they need to actually be charged with anything, though. But if you are really trying to hurt the gun rights advocates, carry rifles around for no apparent reason and make sure everyone sees them. A gun is a tool, as pointed out above. If they were all sitting there with chainsaws on the table, you don't think that would worry people? Also legal, ofc, but not logical. People being illogical with guns is something you should pay attention to, at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas