U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 17,344 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am new but have reviewed your postings. What type of advice or suggestions can you offer for someone looking to relocate to
Texas from New Jersey? I prefer city/suburan living - no pests please.
Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 PM

1,209 posts, read 5,859,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missm View Post
Hello everyone. I am new but have reviewed your postings. What type of advice or suggestions can you offer for someone looking to relocate to
Texas from New Jersey? I prefer city/suburan living - no pests please.
Thanks for your help!
Well avoiding pests is hard to come by here in Texas, I'm finding out! My best advice is to do as much legwork as you can in terms of learning about the various metro areas (if that's what you're looking for) to narrow down your search prior to visiting. We found just trying to see Austin and its environs in 4 days was way too much. If we were also considering some of the other larger Texas cities,we'd have needed a significantly longer trip. Definitely use this forum as much as you can, the people have been tremendously helpful and are very nice and friendly!

Tell us more about your lifestyle, career, do you have a family, and what you're looking for and I"m sure people will chime in with help and ideas!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 17,344 times
Currently, I am employed in the graphics industry in NYC. I own a home and would like to purchase again when I relocate. Which is better - townhome or single family? No children so schools are not an issue. What are the dominating employment fields? I have done a little research but cannot make a determination.
Thanks for your response!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:23 AM

14,874 posts, read 38,658,925 times
What are your interests and hobbies? Every city in Texas has a different appeal.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 AM

147 posts, read 202,647 times
Default Texas is a big state

Texas is larger than France with 22 million people in population. Seems like you should find a Texas job market for graphics and then find a place to live in that metropolitan area with the job market. Can't you look at Monster.com or other job website?

Old 10-17-2006, 05:24 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,772,483 times
Look into the NewTek for a graphics job. They're a great company to work at.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:54 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,310,099 times
the only advice i have for you is that no matter WHERE you settle down in Texas, you will be in a better place than New Jersey...Texas is the best dang state in the union. period. you cannot go wrong anywhere, just some places are better than others, or suit ones taste more than others. but it's all Texas and thats all that matters

Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 8,591 times
Smile Moving to Texas

Hell out there! I was wondering if anyone has any tips for moving from NY to Texas. We are so tired of New York (long Island to be specific) and we really want to live somewhere that we can have a better life financially and emotionally! I only visited Texas once it was 10 years ago and I can't think of anywhere else I would want to live. We are thinking about the Austin area but we are not too sure about other areas around there. If anyone has any info about what rent is like or what are some good areas that we should check out I would really appreciate it.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 AM

3,494 posts, read 13,310,099 times
rent will be ALOT cheaper than NY, obviously. good areas? it depends on what you are looking for. are you a yuppie? then Austin, Georgetown, Round Rock, Pflugerville may be right up your alley. if you are country, there are plenty of rural areas, as long as you dont mind the commute. of course, the farther out you get out in the country, the cheaper it is. whether it offsets gas prices on your commute, i dont know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blintelman View Post
Hell out there! I was wondering if anyone has any tips for moving from NY to Texas. We are so tired of New York (long Island to be specific) and we really want to live somewhere that we can have a better life financially and emotionally! I only visited Texas once it was 10 years ago and I can't think of anywhere else I would want to live. We are thinking about the Austin area but we are not too sure about other areas around there. If anyone has any info about what rent is like or what are some good areas that we should check out I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by NOTAM; 02-17-2008 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 PM

14 posts, read 47,615 times
Default Moving To Texas

Texas is so huge that it has something to offer for almost anyone. There are a lot of considerations of course that you have to take. What kind of budget are you looking at? Are schools important? Commute?

There is a website that I usually recommend my clients. It is at Real Estate: Find Realtors, Real Estate Investment, Mortgage, and Relocation Services by NeighborhoodScout. It should help you narrow down your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or