Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM

16 posts, read 26,654 times

Advertisements

so i'm a US citizen but i grew up in england, and after i go to university here i want to move to tx and i was thinking orange grove will be good, i'm not sure what i will study in university but it will probably be something like business or economics or occupational therapy( which ever degree i choose, i will probably get a masters degree too), and i was also thinking about maybe startng a catering company, but thats just an idea i have lol

so i know that orange grove is small and rural and that is what i want, but of course i need to be able to get a job nearby, and i read that orange grove is close to corpus christi and alice, can i get a job easily with one of those degrees i stated before?

and what is it like living there?

and what would they think of me being british?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:46 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,223,487 times
Are you thinking of studying in Kingsville or Corpus Christi? Why Orange Grove? Being British will actually be interesting to people in South Texas. I still get asked about my accent all the time, and I moved here from just outside Boston.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM

1,050 posts, read 695,156 times
If you're looking for rural, Orange Grove's got it. Your best bet of finding work will probably be in Corpus though (which is about half an hour away), I don't know much about Alice, so it might be a possibility.

People here are very easy-going and friendly. Your being British will not be an obstacle.

However, it will be important for you to live where there's a municipal water supply here in South Texas, don't know if Orange Grove has that. Many of the wells in some rural areas rely on groundwater and that supply is dwindling. There are many small rural/ranch type of communities here in South Texas. Research it- you may find what you're looking for. And be forewarned, as you're learning-- Texas is hot, from April to October usually, it's not always relentless since March and September usually bring rain and cool things off during the day somewhat. You would have the nice gulf breezes too.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Are you thinking of studying in Kingsville or Corpus Christi? Why Orange Grove? Being British will actually be interesting to people in South Texas. I still get asked about my accent all the time, and I moved here from just outside Boston.

i don't want to study in tx, i am going to university in england and i'm going to tx after

Old 09-13-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
If you're looking for rural, Orange Grove's got it. Your best bet of finding work will probably be in Corpus though (which is about half an hour away), I don't know much about Alice, so it might be a possibility.

People here are very easy-going and friendly. Your being British will not be an obstacle.

However, it will be important for you to live where there's a municipal water supply here in South Texas, don't know if Orange Grove has that. Many of the wells in some rural areas rely on groundwater and that supply is dwindling. There are many small rural/ranch type of communities here in South Texas. Research it- you may find what you're looking for. And be forewarned, as you're learning-- Texas is hot, from April to October usually, it's not always relentless since March and September usually bring rain and cool things off during the day somewhat. You would have the nice gulf breezes too.

hello, and thank you for the information

can you please give as much info about orange grove from first hand experience? what is there to do there> what shops/stores are there? what activities?

thank you

Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 PM

1,050 posts, read 695,156 times
I'm not personally familiar, but here are some links to get you started....Hope they help

//www.city-data.com/city/Orange-Grove-Texas.html

Orange Grove, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ORANGE GROVE, TX | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Cities near Orange Grove, Texas

Orange Grove Business Directory in Orange Grove, TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas