Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:41 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
It sounds to me like he's doing exactly what he was elected to do...part of his job is securing the economic base.

Bringing in established businesses is a great way to diversify the economic base and is preferable than pandering for Federal contracts, which come with strings and can end at any time.

I don't know much about the man yet but I see this action as a very good one.

He's seizing an opportunity that will benefit the whole state for generations....and he's NOT using taxpayers money!
Actually he is using taxpayer money to give those companies an incentive to move to Texas.

Tax breaks come at a high cost - Times Union

Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
He's not using taxpayer money for the recruiting.

He may be offering incentives but in the long run they benefit the taxpayers, directly and indirectly.

Did you even read that article? I think not.

There's a difference between offering to cut taxes to a company already paying them and offering breaks to a company to move to your state.

The latter, removes nothing from the budget as the company was not there to pay taxes in the first place. The company moving in will bring jobs and taxes in the future. It's a net gain.

This is where Libbies have trouble with trickle down... Reagan gives INCENTIVES to companies that prosper and expand the employment base....everyone benefits.

Libbies simply GAVE cash to companies in hopes they would expand and hire.....where's the incentive? They already have the money...why should they share it?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:04 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Promoting Texas? I'm not a fan of Perry, but can't see why any Texan would have a problem with this.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Promoting Texas? I'm not a fan of Perry, but can't see why any Texan would have a problem with this.
I do; I don't like corporate welfare, I don't like Rick Perry, and I'm kind of tired of half the country moving here.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
He's not using taxpayer money for the recruiting.

He may be offering incentives but in the long run they benefit the taxpayers, directly and indirectly.

Did you even read that article? I think not.

There's a difference between offering to cut taxes to a company already paying them and offering breaks to a company to move to your state.

The latter, removes nothing from the budget as the company was not there to pay taxes in the first place. The company moving in will bring jobs and taxes in the future. It's a net gain.

This is where Libbies have trouble with trickle down... Reagan gives INCENTIVES to companies that prosper and expand the employment base....everyone benefits.

Libbies simply GAVE cash to companies in hopes they would expand and hire.....where's the incentive? They already have the money...why should they share it?
Good post.

(but texas politicians were supplying incentives to companies to move down here when reagan was a B actor )

& I agree with TXNGL. Perry has always been kind of a doof. But the gov's power is pretty limited & if he's spending his time doing what he's supposed to be doing, it's ok by me.....especially if he brings a few permanent non-oil related industries into Texas.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:57 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I do; I don't like corporate welfare, I don't like Rick Perry, and I'm kind of tired of half the country moving here.
I don't like it that Rick seems to have an unlimited amount of funds for his favorite projects. I don't like paying extra taxes for road and water infrastructure to support these companies in my town while they make billions and are allowed to not pay a fair share of property and school taxes. This is nothing more than Rick Perry promoting himself for his next step in his career. And you can probably tell that I am not a fan of Rick Perry. And I am not a fan of any career politician, from the President on down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/us...nted=all&_r=1&

Last edited by car957; 09-15-2013 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-15-2013, 08:16 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I don't understand the complaints - I see tourism ads for California and Denver and Colorado and Michigan and more on tv all the time. What's the difference between begging for vacation time and money and begging for jobs to actually move here? It seems like there's some made up line that you aren't allowed to cross....
I don't see the governors of those states in any of those commercials.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:07 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't see the governors of those states in any of those commercials.

Gov. Christie Stars in New Jersey Stronger than the Storm TV Commercial - YouTube

Visit California - YouTube

Old 09-15-2013, 04:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
It sounds to me like he's doing exactly what he was elected to do...part of his job is securing the economic base.

Bringing in established businesses is a great way to diversify the economic base and is preferable than pandering for Federal contracts, which come with strings and can end at any time.

I don't know much about the man yet but I see this action as a very good one.

He's seizing an opportunity that will benefit the whole state for generations....and he's NOT using taxpayers money!
You win the prize, and you aren't even from Texas.
The Governor of Texas doesn't actually have a lot of power - his main job is to represent the State and promote it. Perry does that very well - he's not very good with speeches, but he is extremely effective one-on-one and with smaller groups. He can promote Texas because he understands it - all of it, not just the rural parts or the urban parts. Texas transplants and those who don't live in Texas may be unaware of some of the serious recessions that Texas went through in the past. We had a massive real-estate crash in the 80's and about the same time an oil crash - we learned a valuable lesson about a diverse economy AND a hefty Rainy Day fund. Perry was a young man in Texas Government at the time, but he's never forgotten that.

Not as well known are the Texas exports that Perry has also promoted. He is the Texas Ambassador and that's a big part of his job. The Texas Economy is job 1.

Texas ranked top exporting state for 11th consecutive year

Quote:
Texas exports for 2012 totaled $265 billion, a 5.4 percent increase from $251 billion in 2011 and outperformed overall U.S. exports, which only grew by 4.3percent to $1.54 trillion. The state's top export recipients were Mexico, Canada, China, Brazil, and the Netherlands, which respectively imported $94.8 billion, $23.7 billion, $10.3 billion, $10.0 billion, and $9.5 billion in Texas-manufactured goods. Additionally, Texas' top exporting industries in 2012 were petroleum and coal products, chemicals, computer and electronic products, non-electrical machinery, and transportation equipment.
Perry's latest battle is with the State Universities - he wants tuition lowered and a guarantee that it won't increase once you enter a program. I see his point, lots of fat to cut at the top - but I also think he is reaching too far, too fast. Right now a 4 yr degree at the University of Texas is about $40,000 - he wants UT to offer a $10,000 degree - they are screaming blue murder in Austin.

A little off topic - but college costs have just gone nuts. At the University of Texas, Austin :
In 1970ish - a years tuition, fees & Books was $350 (tuition alone was $50 a semester, so fees were already higher than tuition) , you could get by on $100 a month for room & board (not counting beer ) A student could work during the summers and basically almost earn enough to go through the entire school year - many kids had part time university jobs to help out. Tuition in that time period was a "fixed" amount mandated by the State Legislature.

In 1995 - I don't remember the breakdown, but it was about $5,000 a year total for Tuition, fees, room & board. I don't know if todays $10,000 a year also covers room & board. The inflation for a college degree is tremendous.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:22 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Perry's latest battle is with the State Universities - he wants tuition lowered and a guarantee that it won't increase once you enter a program. I see his point, lots of fat to cut at the top - but I also think he is reaching too far, too fast. Right now a 4 yr degree at the University of Texas is about $40,000 - he wants UT to offer a $10,000 degree - they are screaming blue murder in Austin.
His great plan is for tuition to freeze for each person at the rate that it was when they started in college.
Greatest plan I've ever heard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas