Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM

384 posts, read 1,669,219 times

Advertisements

Oh the traffic has gotten way worse, the infrastructure can't keep up with the population and people are not patient. There are ways we locals know to get around the traffic (lots of side roads) I have several back roads I use at peak traffic times. Rule of thumb is always to driving carefully around trucks and expect the unexpected and allow yourself plenty of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,500 times
Pammybear;
Quote:
I have seen vacancy signs on some apts on Midland drive as I pass by and I will try to remember their names (price however may be another story) that is true that affordable housing is hard to find but not impossible. Let me know what you like to do and I am sure I can link you to it.
I will be heading out next week to apply for trucking jobs and look for apartments. I'm a single guy with no kids, just a couple of old tomcats. I''m looking for probably a one-bedroom something, no roommates situations though.

Any suggestions for apartments/homes? I accept that I'll need to spend $900-1300/month. Does that sound about right?

As for stuff I like to do....I like bicycling and shooting.

Thanks for the help.

Also, do you happen to know off hand which companies take new truck drivers? I put myself through a 160 hour school and have all of my endorsements, doubles, triples, tankers and Haz-Mat. I understand if you don't know what that stuff is, but I thought I'd ask.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:10 AM

587 posts, read 960,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
As for stuff I like to do....I like bicycling and shooting.
You too? Awesome, I thought I was the only one. Most people consider shooting from a bike to be "unsafe","irresponsible","insane" or "criminally negligent". Pfft. Some people just don't know how to have fun.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,055 times
Hey Cyborg, I can't help you out with any advice, or any further past....

Welcome to Texas!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 AM

Default Bikes and stuff

Ha ha good one Midessan! The apts. I saw I think were Hunters Glen on Midland Dr. I will keep an eye out. I know for sure there is a bike club because I see them out on the weekends usually around Green Tree or Mockingbird. I would check at Peyton's bike shop on Midkiff and ask there. I work for a non-profit that has a job training component and the people that go through the truck driving program at Midland College have been 100% employed, usually by a company that services the oil wells but I am not sure exactly where. I am sure the workforce solutions office will steer you in the right direction. Best wishes!
Pam

Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
Oh the traffic has gotten way worse, the infrastructure can't keep up with the population and people are not patient. There are ways we locals know to get around the traffic (lots of side roads) I have several back roads I use at peak traffic times. Rule of thumb is always to driving carefully around trucks and expect the unexpected and allow yourself plenty of time.
Pam, didn't they finally finish the loop all the way around the city? I drove what is now the Loop 250 service road for a long time before they completed that part of it near Midland Drive. I lived out in Northgate, not far from where you are.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM

Default not sure

I think it has been completed but I have not driven it on the East/South side yet. There always seems to be some type of road repair or roadwork going on, they just can't keep up and when you have to close a lane to do a repair then it just gets worse! You don't dare try to turn without being at a light but having knowledge of side streets helps tremendously! Here is an interesting video about Midland from CNN Money 'Moving in droves' to Midland, Texas - Video - Business News Talks about the growth and some of the growing pains, nice to "see" you!
Pam

Old 09-26-2013, 11:20 AM

LOL! That is an interesting video. The new Horseshoe facility looks really nice, and was under either construction or just groundbreaking when I left. I understand that the new performing arts place is nice, too!

Nice to "see" you too, Pam--did you have a good time in Los Alamos?

Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 PM

Default yes

Los Alamos was awesome and my nephew was so glad we came to see him! We stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was perfect!
Pam

Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
Los Alamos was awesome and my nephew was so glad we came to see him! We stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was perfect!
Pam
Great! You really didn't miss that much when they closed the Hilltop Inn (Best Western when I stayed there in 2007), though the view was nice from the upper dining room--hot breakfast, with real eggs/bacon/sausage/other!

I can't wait to get home! I'll be in Alpine in a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas