Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM

6,263 posts, read 7,418,889 times

Advertisements

If any Houston booster is hoping for this, be careful what you wish for. Just think you will then have two obnoxious windbag metros, where once there was only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyber View Post
Ask anyone in the country which city they think of first when they hear Texas and Dallas will always win out, heck even San Antonio might beat out Houston, Houston is an afterthought in this country, the sooner you realize that the sooner your inferiority complex might begin to accept Houston's irrelevance to the world, sure it has a big economy but a respected city it ain't, sorry to burst your bubble but someone had to put you in your place.
Those same people (I notice you didn't say the world) think Honey Boo Boo, and Duck Dynasty are culture. So if that is true, you are bragging that people brainwashed by boob tube values think of Dallas first. I wouldn't doubt it for one minute.....

"In a few weeks, the U.S. will celebrate Columbus Day, but it’s likely many Americans don’t know that this holiday commemorates Christopher Columbus arriving in North America in 1492.That’s because a series of recent studies have found that when it comes to our own history, Americans don’t always make the grade. A 2010 survey found that more than 25% of Americans didn’t know that we had gained our independence from Britain. China, Japan and France were all given as incorrect answers."

http://news.yahoo.com/video/whoknew-...060000812.html

Anybody with any intellectual acuity will know that Houston is the most economically and historically significant city in Texas, and those are the people that count

Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,605,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
If any Houston booster is hoping for this, be careful what you wish for. Just think you will then have two obnoxious windbag metros, where once there was only one.
Are you really dumb enough to believe what you've written or are you blind to the fact that Houston has just as many windbags?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Are you really dumb enough to believe what you've written or are you blind to the fact that Houston has just as many windbags?
This thread is not about Houston, or any windbags that may reside here. It is about the US Census splitting up DFW, what that would mean and how people feel about that.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,139,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyber View Post
Ask anyone in the country which city they think of first when they hear Texas and Dallas will always win out, heck even San Antonio might beat out Houston, Houston is an afterthought in this country, the sooner you realize that the sooner your inferiority complex might begin to accept Houston's irrelevance to the world, sure it has a big economy but a respected city it ain't, sorry to burst your bubble but someone had to put you in your place.
Wow so full of it...is that why houston beats dallas on every poll on city data?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,794,345 times
It's highly unlikely that Dallas and Fort Worth will be split up by the census. DFW is definitely one metro.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,532,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
You are clearly the example as to how Houstonians would be the only people happy if this happened....You guys are the only people who are upset that DFW is Bigger than the Greater Houston area......Get over it!!!....
LOL, i just thought it was interesting. people only get upset about DFW because you have to use that pathetic crutch (no offense FW) to support Dallas because its the smaller city. get over it. Houston is and will always reign supreme when it comes to Texas. no TV show or football team can save your sorry city from surpassing Houstons greatness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Those same people (I notice you didn't say the world) think Honey Boo Boo, and Duck Dynasty are culture. So if that is true, you are bragging that people brainwashed by boob tube values think of Dallas first. I wouldn't doubt it for one minute.....

"In a few weeks, the U.S. will celebrate Columbus Day, but it’s likely many Americans don’t know that this holiday commemorates Christopher Columbus arriving in North America in 1492.That’s because a series of recent studies have found that when it comes to our own history, Americans don’t always make the grade. A 2010 survey found that more than 25% of Americans didn’t know that we had gained our independence from Britain. China, Japan and France were all given as incorrect answers."

http://news.yahoo.com/video/whoknew-...060000812.html

Anybody with any intellectual acuity will know that Houston is the most economically and historically significant city in Texas, and those are the people that count
thanks for saving me the time to reply to that idiot.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,532,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
It's highly unlikely that Dallas and Fort Worth will be split up by the census. DFW is definitely one metro.
while i agree its unlikely, i dont agree its one metro. its like a pair of ****. they both command attention, but they happen to be stuck right next to each other. each city has its own central business district, their own museums, botanical gardens, zoos, ect. not to mention they are over 30 miles apart. DFW is awkwardly wide.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,605,025 times
Ok, before this thread gets closed for being another stupid rehash of a Dallas vs. Houston thread, Im actually going to attempt to answer the OP's question.

Here is why I do not believe the two will be split up:

1) No clear definition of where to split. Now, I know you Houstonians are thinking "just cut it at the county line". Well, if you actually live here, you would know that isnt really accurate. Stats dictate that as well. There are several suburbs within Tarrant County that have higher commuting rates to the city of Dallas (Euless, Arlington, and Grapevine), but there isnt one suburb within Dallas County that has a higher commute rate to the city of Fort Worth. In fact, the only suburb on the Dallas side of the Metroplex that has a significant population that commutes more to Fort Worth is Flower Mound. Therefore, you would not get an accurate size of the true metro area.

For a visual on commuting patterns, I invite you guys to look below:

http://www.ntc-dfw.org/northtexas/commute.html

2) Dallas, Fort Worth, and their suburbs are growing closer, not further apart. Things are becoming more entwined and commute rates between the cities is growing.

Ive said before that my true opinion is that without Fort Worth, Dallas would have between 4.7 and 5.2 million people currently and Fort Worth would have between 1.2-1.6 million people currently metro wise.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 09-23-2013 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 09:28 PM

298 posts, read 412,982 times
Like peterlemonjello said above me, the Census Bureau divides metros based on commuting patterns if I am not mistaken. DFW is simply too interwoven to split. You could split by county lines, but that would be simply to weird to th residents that live there.

My family, for instance. Even though we live the the city of Dallas, we still have to go to Tarrant County to get our groceries. In fact, the store we go to is in both Tarrant and Dallas county.

Final response, it's not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas