Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM

47 posts, read 260,598 times

Advertisements

Urbanization, globalization and increased number of immigrants makes me believe that the old texas accent is probably going to become extinct soon. Anyone else here agree? Are there certain parts of texas with a stronger accent than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
I agree with you. As to some parts of Texas having stronger accents, I'm curious to see the different responses myself.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
Urbanization, globalization and increased number of immigrants makes me believe that the old texas accent is probably going to become extinct soon. Anyone else here agree? Are there certain parts of texas with a stronger accent than others?
Very good question. I don't know about whether it will happen "soon" or not -- depending on what one means by that -- but if trends continue, then I don't doubt it will sooner or later.

It is a crying shame if you ask me, but there is little question it is already the case in the larger -- even mid-size -- cities, due to foreign and northern/west coast immigration. Plus the influence of the mass media.

That could reverse, I suppose, but I really don't see it happening.

Here are a couple of interesting articles on the general subject...but I am not quite so optimistic! LOL

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Texan . Drawl | PBS

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Texan | PBS

Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

That could reverse, I suppose, but I really don't see it happening.

Here are a couple of interesting articles on the general subject...but I am not quite so optimistic! LOL

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Texan . Drawl | PBS

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Texan | PBS
*GROAN*....*sigh*

"Tin cints?"

"Bob wahr?"

"Git?"

"Whut?"

"Raht?"

*Tears hair out*

LOL!!!

Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 PM

568 posts, read 901,386 times
Television and movies are the main contributors to destroying accents.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM

519 posts, read 777,077 times
That's a great question. It goes without saying, but any decline of the traditional Texas accent would probably be most prominent in the major cities where there is a larger influx of foreigners. My multiple trips to rural East Texas show no sign of the Texas accent abating, and it's as strong as ever down here in SE Texas, though I wouldn't say it was ever particularly strong down here.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
*GROAN*....*sigh*

"Tin cints?"

"Bob wahr?"

"Git?"

"Whut?"

"Raht?"

*Tears hair out*

LOL!!!

LOL You know I luvs you sis...but I prefer my/our industrial strength Texas/Southern accent over anything they do in other parts of the country.

Also, it needs to be kept in mind that everyone has an accent/dialect, no matter where they are from. It is just that the bland "TV broadcaster" speech has become accepted as the "standard" that everyone else's should be measured against. And that one most approximates something in the central Midwest.

Sorry, hon, but I prefer to sound like I am from somewhere, rather than a beta out of Brave New World. Why would anyone want to rid themselves of their natural speech patterns and idiom and inflection, unless they are ashamed of it and/or feel another regional accent is superior to their own?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL You know I luvs you sis...but I prefer my/our industrial strength Texas/Southern accent over anything they do in other parts of the country.

Also, it needs to be kept in mind that everyone has an accent/dialect, no matter where they are from. It is just that the bland "TV broadcaster" speech has become accepted as the "standard" that everyone else's should be measured against. And that one most approximates something in the central Midwest.

Sorry, hon, but I prefer to sound like I am from somewhere, rather than a beta out of Brave New World. Why would anyone want to rid themselves of their natural speech patterns and idiom and inflection, unless they are ashamed of it and/or feel another regional accent is superior to their own?
LOL!! I know what you mean--everyone DOES have an accent/dialect.

I'm just glad that mine is West Texan (with all its faults, so to speak) rather than heavy MS/GA/LA southern drawl.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,404 times
By now my accent might be West Texafornian.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,906 times
I agree. I don't really hear too much of a Texas "twang" particularly among our young people. Maybe the oldtimers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas