Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more conservative?
Houston 24 27.91%
Dallas 62 72.09%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:17 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,303 times

Advertisements

Yeah I don't see how Houston isn't influenced by South Texas as well. For many people in Victoria and Corpus Christi their idea of going to the big city is driving to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 12:30 PM

933 posts, read 1,532,888 times
Dallas is the more conservative city, due to the strong Evangelical influence and being one of the buckles of the Bible Belt.

Houston seems pretty live-and-let-live compared to the socially conservative rigidness of Dallas.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:37 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Dallas is the more conservative city, due to the strong Evangelical influence and being one of the buckles of the Bible Belt.

Houston seems pretty live-and-let-live compared to the socially conservative rigidness of Dallas.
The more I read your posts, the more I doubt youve spent much time outside of Dallas.

Youre last sentence has almost no truth to it regarding Dallas.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM

933 posts, read 1,532,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The more I read your posts, the more I doubt youve spent much time outside of Dallas.

Youre last sentence has almost no truth to it regarding Dallas.
How doesn't it have any truth? Dallas is the megachurch capital of the United States. Dallas was ranked as the most Bible oriented city in Texas. People in Dallas tend to be very image-oriented and tend not to deviate much from the "norm" because it'll hurt their image. People in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc generally aren't like this, they give off a very laid back vibe (especially Austin and San Antonio), so it gives Dallas a serious sense of social rigidity.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
How doesn't it have any truth? Dallas is the megachurch capital of the United States. Dallas was ranked as the most Bible oriented city in Texas. People in Dallas tend to be very image-oriented and tend not to deviate much from the "norm" because it'll hurt their image. People in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc generally aren't like this, they give off a very laid back vibe (especially Austin and San Antonio), so it gives Dallas a serious sense of social rigidity.
The same list that says Austin is more Bible minded than Waco??? Yeah, I really take that list seriously.

Also, go back a few posts where I posted the number of megachurches in both as well as the religious demographics. Almost no difference. Throw in Atlanta, Florida, and Even Southern California (mainly Orange County and North San Diego County) are full of Mega Churches.

Ill give you the last one. Dallas is much more image oriented than the rest of Texas (though Austin is catching up), but thats not a liberal or conservative thing.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:25 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,168 times
Quote:

Socially conservative rigidness? Sure thing bud. That said the last thing anyone needs is more liberals running around.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Really? I think Houston gets quite a bit of influence from South Texas.
Hardly. Outside of the Tex-Mex restaurants, the only part of the city influenced by South Texas lies with those residents whose families are from that part of the state. Even a great deal of our Mexican residents have closer ties to Mexico itself. I'll concede that the influence is there in parts, but it's not so dominant that you could suggest it's one of the driving cultural influences of this city.

I'd say Houston easily draws more influence from the lower two thirds of East Texas and Central Texas than it does ST.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Socially conservative rigidness? Sure thing bud. That said the last thing anyone needs is more liberals running around.
Dallas does feel & act more socially conservative than Houston whether you consider that a bad thing or not.

I notice even when I'm watching the Dallas news the local media likes to air religious stories all the time talking about faith & God.

Again, that's not a bad thing.

The debauchery in Houston is more in your face. You can't drive down I-45 without noticing it. Sex & drugs are more openly accepted in Houston than Dallas.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas does feel & act more socially conservative than Houston whether you consider that a bad thing or not.

I notice even when I'm watching the Dallas news the local media likes to air religious stories all the time talking about faith & God. Again, that's not a bad thing.
They do? Which channel are you watching?

Ive seen commercials, but never heard of a news outlet endorsing religion.

Never seen it once. Trying to figure out if this is something else youre making up or real. Ive seen people interviewed mention faith but the media doesnt cover it unless its in the course of covering an actual story.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The debauchery in Houston is more in your face. You can't drive down I-45 without noticing it. Sex & drugs are more openly accepted in Houston than Dallas.
Never driven I-35 from 635 to downtown I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas