Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 10:21 PM

71 posts, read 70,089 times

Advertisements

I am a Caucasian male in my 20's. I do not have a job lined up or anything. But that doesn't matter since I have no job now.

I have lived in a big city before, so I know I do not want to live in Dallas or Fort Worth. The traffic seems horrendous in Dallas at least. Must not have a grid system?

McKinney looks interesting, and I like the distance from Dallas.

However, I do not know much about these places, so that is where you can help me a lot!

What small/medium sized city near Dallas, do you think has the best opportunity for me-

1. to get a job (no college degree, so probably just a job that pays 20-25k a year)
2. to stay safe (not known for gangs, etc)
3. to find an affordable apartment (see #2 again)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 02:58 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
  • First: find a job.

It is impossible to give specific locations on where to move, when we don't know where your commuting. The metro is way too big, and tolls and gas add up fast. You do know there are lots of tollroads in the northern suburbs right?

You need to have a plan, or this area will eat you up. While you may make enough to cover, day to day expenses at that salary, you won't have any extra savings to cover unexpected expenses, or any financial security if you lose your job
  • Second: What's your budget?

Again, 20-25k will be a struggle in DFW, if you plan on living alone. I would budget $600-$700 for a decent apartment even way out in the exurbs. You might try to rent a room instead.
  • Third: Safety isn't a big concern here

I can only think of a few areas that are so dangerous that you should completely avoid them.

On the flip side, NO ONE your age is moving to McKinney. You will live a very isolated and lonely life up there. Almost every city in CoCo is family central, and there's really not many activities catering to your demographic. Your generation is living in Dallas.
  • Fourth: Traffic sucks everywhere

You will definitely not escape traffic in CoCo. I worked Plano, and Preston and Park was just as bad as Preston and a lot of the intersections in Dallas.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:36 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
I agree with everything Ronnie just said. You need to find the job first, and realize that the outer 'burbs are indeed family central, and you may be the only young single person there.

Try looking in Rockwall. There are always a lot of "help wanted" signs up, but unfortunately, there are only a few apartments in town.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Or Rowlett...or Mesquite...it would be nice to work and live in the same city and not have much of a commute. You really do need to find a job first. And while it's true that a lot of the suburbs are family oriented, you're going to find that everywhere...just like if you're young, you will find the things you're interested in...no matter where you live.

If you don't have a job now, what's preventing you from moving here right away and jumping in? I mean, you really ought to have a job first but if you don't, why the long wait?

Old 09-27-2013, 11:11 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
like the other posters said, worry about finding a job first

Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Just follow what Ronnie said. Get a job and then make your next decision.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
You can also learn a lot about any Texas community including crime rates, demographics, cost of living, etc. here: //www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html

To determine what city affords you the best oppourtunity you need to decide what you want to do with your life other then get a job that pays 20-25k a year.

Just because you don't have an education or job training now, doesn't mean you shouldn't be working towards something that will give you a step up. At minimum you should learn a skill beyond flipping burgers.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:34 PM

71 posts, read 70,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
you need to decide what you want to do with your life ...

Me: "which road should I take?"

Rabbit: "where do you want to go?"

Me: "I don't know"

Rabbit: "then it doesn't matter"

Old 09-29-2013, 12:42 PM

39 posts, read 65,999 times
Rowlett is pretty cheap, its by the lake, safe, etc. Traffic is gonna suck everywhere on the major roads during the typical rush hours, but otherwise its not bad. If you want slower lifestyle, cheaper, and safe I would suggest a ft worth suburb. Maybe hurst or bedford...but traffic again. I lived in denton for a while and I would think it fits what youre looking for more than any other place. Being a college town its a lot easier to find cheap apts and its a lot more of a small town feel. McKinney is a very wealthy suburbia.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodgers_3 View Post
Being a college town its a lot easier to find cheap apts...
...but probably harder to find entry level jobs with all of the competition from those college students. I'd opt for a larger town without a significant college presence, other than perhaps a community college.

I also have no hesitation in recommending gov't. service to young single people needing that first leg up. There are very good programs for furthering ones education in the military branches. My son began his career in the Navy and took advantage of the schooling while enlisted and had excellent job offers to choose from when he finally did leave (6 yr. stint) and hasn't looked back since. Now his net worth is in the millions (30 yrs. later).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas