Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:08 PM

270 posts, read 592,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Just an idea. Good luck to you!
A very good idea, I was thinking about the exact same thing. It might be a compromise between having a purebred but also rescuing a shelter dog.

The issue with Cocker Spaniels is very well known over here, but it's more about the red ones. Veterinarians call it "Cocker-Wut", which would be something like Cocker-Rage when translated to English. My Ex in Laws had a black Cocker girl and she was a great dog. Not aggressive at all, very charming and funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Interesting. I was bitten in the face when I was 7 by a neighbor's Cocker Spaniel. I had to get four stitches in my cheek. That was pretty awful!

To the OP: shelter dogs can be great--we have one ourselves and she can be very sweet. However, they come with their own set of issues if you just go randomly pick one out, because you don't know the history of that dog nor its genetics (working in a shelter yourself, you already know this). She is only laid back with us,--with others, she's quite protective and tends to scare some people (barks very loudly). She has also bitten smaller dogs because she is very food-aggressive. I say all this because I can understand wanting a specific breed for its traits, and you shouldn't feel guilty over wanting to go with a purebred. I would suggest breed specific rescue groups--labs especially. They can run the gamut from high-strung to totally chill. My sister got her two from a rescue group in Indiana, and was able to really get an idea of the dogs they chose because they had been in foster care for a few weeks. Just an idea. Good luck to you!
Right about a lot of this stuff, and one thing to consider is that you can usually get a PUPPY from a rescue center. A puppy would have fewer issues all the way around.

And I agree that a lab mix is usually a good gamble. They have such good personalities in general. I've been so pleased with every lab or lab mix I've ever had, including my current lab/pit bull mix female rescued dog I got as a puppy. She is the lovingest dog ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas