Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,062 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transfered to Texas with his job that will be stationed out of either Galveston or Temple, our choice. We have to live in or within 30 miles of the location we choose.

We currently live in a small town (35,000 in population) in Arizona and have never lived anywhere else. We have never even been to Texas. We are really blind-sided by this whole situation and would love any input anyone could give us about the towns in these areas. I'm trying to do research online, but am very overwhelmed.

We are young adults who still enjoy going out & having a good time (dinner, drinks, nightlife, etc), but we also have two children ages 11 & 13 and need a good environment for them as well.

Our current town is pretty laid back, not alot of crime or traffic, but we seriously lack in the shopping area. I would like more shopping with the same small town feel we have now.

Please help with any information you can provide! Details about the towns would be great!

Last edited by preciouseyesaz; 11-18-2007 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 08:21 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
I think Galveston would be the best choice. Galveston is a pretty compact city and there is a lot going on down there. Not to mention, you just about 45 minutes from Downtown Houston (on a clear, no traffic day).

Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouseyesaz View Post
We are young adults who still enjoy going out & having a good time (dinner, drinks, nightlife, etc), but we also have two children ages 11 & 13 and need a good environment for them as well.
No easy answer here! For the nightlife, definitely Galveston, definitely....... For the kids, Temple, hands down. GISD is pretty rough.

My best guess is that Temple would be much more like your hometown, since you described it as laid back and little crime or traffic. Galveston is constantly hoppin'. Hope this all helps, good luck.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
If the children are your main concern, League City (like you said in the PM) will be a great place. Good schools, parks, and clean city.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,062 times
Default update

I guess I should also define our "idea"/current nighlife situation to give everyone more of an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm not by any means looking for a party town, up all night, etc. Currently we just go out to the bowling alley, club/bar for a few drinks & some occasionally dancing. We live in a VERY small and under developed town. Example: We just got a Super WalMart, Petco, Staples; we have two major streets; takes 10 minutes to drive from one end of town to the other....

Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
No easy answer here! For the nightlife, definitely Galveston, definitely....... For the kids, Temple, hands down. GISD is pretty rough.

My best guess is that Temple would be much more like your hometown, since you described it as laid back and little crime or traffic. Galveston is constantly hoppin'. Hope this all helps, good luck.
Define Rough please. I have 3 kids one who will enter High School next year and a middle and a elementary school. I plan on moving to Galveston next year.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:52 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Clear Lake, League City, Webster, Dickinson, Santa Fe...may be areas you could check out, and all close to Galveston. Clear Lake and League City have good school districts plus nightlife. I read on another thread somewhere that Galveston schools have made some improvement. Not all of them, but you could check out greatschools.com or something to see. When you first drive onto the Island, there is a large housing project there and gang activity, so I'd imagine that part would be one to avoid. Private schools are good there I've heard.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:04 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Since you have kids, I would vote for Temple. Galveston schools are not the best. There are areas (mentioned above) that you could commute to Galveston from. It would be a 20 - 30 mile commute one way. These areas are still very much "big city" suburbs, not small towns as you describe. There is also the additional problem with Hurricanes and potential evacuation to consider as well as the cost of wind insurance etc. I personally think you would find Temple more comfortable based on what you have written. I encourage you to visit both areas and decide for yourself.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
The whole Clear Lake area is good. Throw in the Kehma Boardwalk complex, and you have real good entertainment and a safe, family oriented area to live in. Best of both worlds.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:30 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Humm I may have to check out that area around Kehma.. I have been hearing lots of good things about it.

Oh and Southern thanks for the PM.. it helped me better understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas