Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:01 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
Flat ground and hard caliche cause the flooding. We could build a better drainage system, but the floods occur with low frequency and are easy to deal with so it doesn't justify the cost.
I saw on the news today that Midland is considering upgrading infrastructure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 06:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
As others have said, dry areas tend not to invest in drainage as much since it is needed less.

That said, part of it just has to do with dry ground. Though it is counter intuitive, really dry earth doesn't absorb liquid as well as wet earth. I lived in an extremely arid part of CA and every time there was even a marginal rain it flooded because it was so hard for the ground to absorb the water.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
I didn't venture out yesterday because the news had warned that the area around HEB was closed due to flooding.
Flooding isn't really an issue but Midland has installed a drainage system that runs through Wadley in front of HEB to help reduce flooding. The drains dump the water there around I st. and Wadley, you can see a draw there that runs along the small regional airport. This system has been redone several times through the years and still doesn't do much. The center section fills up like a river (several feet deep) and can be a serious hazard. But luckily, it's not something that happens regularly and when it does, it's usually drained a few hours later.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
......Why is flooding so bad? I didn't venture out yesterday because the news had warned that the area around HEB was closed due to flooding. It seems to be such a serious problem and we do have a mayoral election coming up and yet I never hear anyone come up with a plan to deal with flooding. I know it doesn't rain often but when it does, we are paralyzed basically. What is the solution? Please again, no haters, just people with real information or facts about this problem. Thank you!
Pam
Pam, I had asked myself that question many times over the 30 years I lived there. Wadley becomes a river after any substantial rain, and other parts of town do the same, though not quite so badly.

They are always working on Wadley, and they did put in/renovate new drainage along Wadley a few years ago. Looks like it didn't do much good, though. The subject comes up almost every election cycle, too.

I don't know what the answer is, but it would be nice if they really would address the problem seriously.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
It rarely rains in Midland.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:30 AM

384 posts, read 1,668,955 times
Default flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
Flat ground and hard caliche cause the flooding. We could build a better drainage system, but the floods occur with low frequency and are easy to deal with so it doesn't justify the cost.
Easy to deal with? I think it is horrible and in fact, school has been cancelled a time or two because of flooding. I know it doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's terrible.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:59 PM

587 posts, read 960,808 times
Quote:
Easy to deal with? I think it is horrible and in fact, school has been cancelled a time or two because of flooding. I know it doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's terrible.
Sorry. I just meant basically what SVTRay was saying that the flooding doesn't last long so its so much of a problem.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:15 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
We saw more school cancelation dates due to heavy snow than rain during our last year in Midland. Talking about rare, Midland saw more snow that week than any other place in the US including Colorado and Alaska at the time.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 PM

348 posts, read 830,297 times
Because Midland is so dry, the drainage features are under-developed. An area that gets more rain has creeks that flow all the time. The constant water flow cuts deep channels that can contain large amounts of flow. Also, the frequent rains erode the ground, producing slopes, which cause water to move more quickly to the stream channels.

Midland, and much of western Texas, has hard soil that isn't quick to absorb water and flat ground, and generally lacks large streams. The water tends to run in sheets in open areas and along streets in the city. It's difficult to build storm drains because you need a lower place to dump the water into. Without an adequate slope, any underground drains would just fill with water and overflow.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:42 PM

384 posts, read 1,668,955 times
Default solution

I understand better, thanks everyone even though I don't like it! I wonder if any other community with similar terrain has found a way to deal with it!
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas