Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,695,785 times

Advertisements

The zoning issues are one thing. Or the lack of. Houston is a VERY LARGE city and crowded. For decades there were traffic issues 24/7 and it has only gotten worse. Traffic is one thing but just the overall appeal is another. While places like Kingwood, The Woodlands, etc look great and have a lot of trees that is not all there is to Houston. I guess if you stay in your little comfort zone area and never have to venture or feel the need to explore it would be okay. Me? I like to see EVERYTHING and go (I'm not on a leash and neither is my car ). I want to be able to go to a lunch event or shop or something on the other side of Dallas or in downtown and be able to do it in the time my kids are in school w/o being in a rush.

As far as culture, yes, Dallas does offer more. Just depends on what you are looking for in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 02:50 PM

201 posts, read 858,831 times
So does this mean that DFW has stricter/better zoning?

Houston has a very large theater and museum district which is quite nice. I've seen on a web site some of the performing arts theaters that DFW has but can you tell me how expansive/extensive are the arts or support for the arts in DFW?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The zoning issues are one thing. Or the lack of. Houston is a VERY LARGE city and crowded. For decades there were traffic issues 24/7 and it has only gotten worse. Traffic is one thing but just the overall appeal is another. While places like Kingwood, The Woodlands, etc look great and have a lot of trees that is not all there is to Houston. I guess if you stay in your little comfort zone area and never have to venture or feel the need to explore it would be okay. Me? I like to see EVERYTHING and go (I'm not on a leash and neither is my car ). I want to be able to go to a lunch event or shop or something on the other side of Dallas or in downtown and be able to do it in the time my kids are in school w/o being in a rush.

As far as culture, yes, Dallas does offer more. Just depends on what you are looking for in that area.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,783,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!! Spook, so true. Ice storms, now that is funny. Maybe one or two a year is more appropriate. And for a day not the days on end that you see happening in other parts of the country.

I'd have to go w/ D/FW over Houston for quality of life also.

As far as the job situation, there was a very good article recently in the Dallas Morning News about the jobs here and the growth. I should say the future looks very bright around here .
Two ice storms a year, where I can't even get out on the roads to do anything, is too much for me.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:07 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,783,996 times
The quality of life is going to be a subjective thing. I've met people who love Houston but hate Dallas, or love Dallas but hate Houston... and will have totally different reasons and viewpoints.

However, in a recent college rating, Rice University (which is in Houston) was rated as top quality-of-life for universities. And one Houston-area suburb was also rated toward the top of the best places to live in the country. So...

I don't agree with Dallas having more culture. They're pretty equivalent. Houston has some of the largest and most visited museums in the country, as well as smaller and more unique ones, award-winning performing arts, and the largest theatre district in the country after NYC as far as amount of live theatre seating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: