Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston or Atlanta?
Houston 14 70.00%
Atlanta 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 AM

13 posts, read 52,847 times

Advertisements

First post here - been trying to do research on different cities across the US, and my searches constantly lead me to this forum. The threads I've read so far have been very informative, but deciding to make one more personalized towards me.

I'm thinking about relocating sometime in Q2 2014. Coming from NJ, but looking to live in a city w/ a great single nightlife/social scene and job opportunities. A young demographic is be ideal - would love to be around lots of other recent college grads.
(Low cost of living is also important since I'm just starting my career and paying for my own relocation, but it's not highest priority.)

I'm a 24 year-old male in IT. I feel as if both Houston and Atlanta have decent tech job markets from my research, but not too sure how they compare to each other.

I prefer Hip-hop in terms of music, but diversity is very important to me - both culturally and racially.

Other places I've been contemplating are Dallas and Seattle (though more as after-thoughts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,256,178 times
You'll want to be more specific regarding exactly what you're looking for (weather, commute, terrain, transportation). As it stands, both cities would work for you, but Houston will have the better job opportunities.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM

13 posts, read 52,847 times
To be honest, I haven't thought too much about the specifics. I've been in NJ all my life - it's kind of hard to be more specific when I don't have much else to compare to.

I just want to get out of this state, move to a diverse city where I can advance Career-wise and go out 3-4 nights a week without the social scene getting stale. A short commute w/o an over abundance of traffic would be ideal - but that's relative to where I'd be employed and which neighborhood I settle in, wouldn't it?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,256,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenns View Post
To be honest, I haven't thought too much about the specifics. I've been in NJ all my life - it's kind of hard to be more specific when I don't have much else to compare to.

I just want to get out of this state, move to a diverse city where I can advance Career-wise and go out 3-4 nights a week without the social scene getting stale. A short commute w/o an over abundance of traffic would be ideal - but that's relative to where I'd be employed and which neighborhood I settle in, wouldn't it?
Absolutely. Your commute could be anywhere from 10 minutes to more than an hour, so your best bet is to get the job first, find out where it's located, and base your living situation off of that. In my experience, the ideal situation is to live and work within "The Loop". It never takes me more than 30 minutes to get to the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: