Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 05:27 PM

251 posts, read 341,124 times

Advertisements

Link:Texas Ocelots Need Elbow Room

Would be such a shame if they disappeared

Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 05:57 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
Link:Texas Ocelots Need Elbow Room

Would be such a shame if they disappeared
I had no idea that our state of Texas even had ocelots.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:58 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
They have been endangered for years (decades), but they are notoriously hard to spot/count.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:09 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
They have been endangered for years (decades), but they are notoriously hard to spot/count.
This. They are so incredibly beautiful, aren't they?

Old 11-09-2016, 03:02 AM

108 posts, read 98,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I had no idea that our state of Texas even had ocelots.
Ocelots used to range all across Southern/Eastern Texas, with their range extending to Arkansas and Louisiana; their habitat has since been reduced.
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/lower_rio...y/ocelots.html

Old 11-09-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
This. They are so incredibly beautiful, aren't they?
Random story:
When I was just a wee kid living south of Houston, there was an older lady that lived with her adult son in our neighborhood. She had a bit of a zoo in the back yard and would let us go visit it occasionally. There was a fish pond and several large cages for various small birds (love birds, parakeets, a few others), but the big attraction was the two ocelots, a male and female. They had large pens (panel wire, maybe 4"?) with a tire swing to play on and a 'cat house' - two story, a window, and air conditioned! One of the cats was relatively tame and the son would go wrestle with it. They would throw a raw chicken on top of the pen and the cats would leap up, hang on the wire while pulling the chicken through, then drop down. Very graceful to watch.

They also had a bobcat ('Bobby') that just hung out in the back yard - no pen at all. She had a brick half-wall around her patio and he was usually on that and would growl at you if you got too close.

We called her 'Mrs D' and I think her last name was Demontbrond or something like that (phonetic spelling, I never saw it in writing).

Old 11-12-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Random story:
When I was just a wee kid living south of Houston, there was an older lady that lived with her adult son in our neighborhood. She had a bit of a zoo in the back yard and would let us go visit it occasionally. There was a fish pond and several large cages for various small birds (love birds, parakeets, a few others), but the big attraction was the two ocelots, a male and female. They had large pens (panel wire, maybe 4"?) with a tire swing to play on and a 'cat house' - two story, a window, and air conditioned! One of the cats was relatively tame and the son would go wrestle with it. They would throw a raw chicken on top of the pen and the cats would leap up, hang on the wire while pulling the chicken through, then drop down. Very graceful to watch.

They also had a bobcat ('Bobby') that just hung out in the back yard - no pen at all. She had a brick half-wall around her patio and he was usually on that and would growl at you if you got too close.

We called her 'Mrs D' and I think her last name was Demontbrond or something like that (phonetic spelling, I never saw it in writing).
Oh wow! Where did she get the ocelots from? Our neighbors had two raccoons that they kept in a very large pen on their property bordering our's. Not as exotic, but this was in Dallas proper, we lived beside a creek. There were bobcats, foxes, and coyotes in the area. Ocelots are really gorgeous, rare in Texas but still found in the Rio Grande Valley in small numbers.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Oh wow! Where did she get the ocelots from? Our neighbors had two raccoons that they kept in a very large pen on their property bordering our's. Not as exotic, but this was in Dallas proper, we lived beside a creek. There were bobcats, foxes, and coyotes in the area. Ocelots are really gorgeous, rare in Texas but still found in the Rio Grande Valley in small numbers.
No idea where they came from...I was 7 or 8 years old at the time, so it never really crossed my mind to wonder . I am sure it would be illegal today (especially the uncontained bobcat!), but likely was not at the time she had them....late 60s into early 70s. Not sure when she (or her son) got them or how long they had them. I moved in 1974 and she still had them then.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
No idea where they came from...I was 7 or 8 years old at the time, so it never really crossed my mind to wonder . I am sure it would be illegal today (especially the uncontained bobcat!), but likely was not at the time she had them....late 60s into early 70s. Not sure when she (or her son) got them or how long they had them. I moved in 1974 and she still had them then.
I can't believe Bobby just hung around the patio. Crazy! Yes, things were very different back then. Really didn't think a thing about the raccoons next door. They were kind of scary to the neighbor kids though, you didn't dare stick a hand through the fencing. Can you imagine any of this happening now? LOL!

Old 12-26-2016, 06:14 PM

251 posts, read 341,124 times
Surprise!

New Ocelot den found!

https://medium.com/usfws/ocelot-numb...ace#.ajhimev93
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: