Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:43 PM

450 posts, read 2,055,680 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if the recent rains have done anything to raise the lake levels in the Upper Sabine basin and especially Toledo Bend Lake. I have property on the north end of the lake. I believe more rain is due later this week. I understand Many, Louisiana, had alot. But it needs to rain up by Logansport and over to Tyler/Longview to do much good to the lake. Any news would be greatly appreciated. If you want to know what is going on, this forum is top-of-the-line!

Last edited by Kurt; 10-17-2006 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 09:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I don't know about Toledo Bend but it has not helped Tawakoni, Lake Ray Hubbard or Lavon. I've seen all three w/in the last few days and it is REALLY BAD! You should be able to find the lake levels online, have you tried the Texas Parks & Wildlife site? I believe they have a link that gives all of the current lake data.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I don't know about Toledo Bend but it has not helped Tawakoni, Lake Ray Hubbard or Lavon. I've seen all three w/in the last few days and it is REALLY BAD! You should be able to find the lake levels online, have you tried the Texas Parks & Wildlife site? I believe they have a link that gives all of the current lake data.
Hey momof! Go to Toledo-Bend.com and check the profishing reports. Toledo Bend is up over 2 feet and rising. I am sorry if Tawakoni, Hubbard, and Lavon did not get so much. They got about 10" around Toledo. But I was hoping to get a better report for the Upper Sabine basin. Keep me informed of anything that happens up your way. Where do you live? Do you regularly keep track of those lakes?

Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Kurt.......lake is up about 2 feet I think (Rayburn is up 2').
Here you go:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv...te_no=08025350

US Geological Survey site. And it looks to be about 2' rise. 172' above sea level is full pool so you still got a ways to go but we've gotten another 5" at least today and tonight. Pretty ruff getting around out here in the sticks without a TRUCK.....preferably 4x4. 12"+ in last 3 days and it didn't even rain on Tuesday. All streams are way above flood stage.

Here's the Rayburn site FYI : http://waterdata.usgs.gov/TX/nwis/uv/?site_no=08039300.

Good reference sites. Have a good one buddy!

Bob

Old 10-19-2006, 01:39 PM

Here are some pics from this week of Lake Tawakoni.

http://http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/momof2dfw/houses/10-2-2006-047.jpg (broken link)
Yes, all of that area to the left should be covered in water.

http://i139.photobuchttp://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/momof2dfw/houses/10-2-2006-042.jpgket.com/albums/q294/momof2dfw/houses/10-2-2006-043.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-19-2006, 07:36 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Default Strange Tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Here are some pics from this week of Lake Tawakoni.
Hey, in the second picture, are those alien spaceship tracks? Maybe they sucked up a lot of water to keep their engines cool?

Old 10-19-2006, 08:49 PM

BobTex: Thanks for the info. Good to hear from you again. Pics of Tawakoni look pretty good to me compared to poor old Toledo with all its stumps! Spaceships for sure. Move over crop circles. Let's look at the shoreline for evidence.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:53 PM

Momof: Great pictures! I have never been to Tawakoni. You ain't got no stumps there! It is downright attractive next to my North Toledo property--except I do have a very nice white sand beach but studded with stumps. If I was more sophisticated I would send you some photos. Maybe I could if I had your private e-mail.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:25 AM

Oh we have stumps. LOTS of stumps. They are clustered together in the lake and you do have to watch for them even when the water is up. Got sandbars too. There is one area that you have to cut sharp to the right to avoid the sandbar then quickly cut to the left to avoid the LARGE grove of stumps. Guess I need to take pics of the stumps instead of the tracks that the aliens left. You know East Texas..... aliens NEVER land in places that too many people are edumicated. Wish we had a nice sandy beach. Instead all we have growing is that nasty stuff that get taller than the pier. Cut it down, mow it down, spray it (no threat of it getting in the water ) and if all else fails you can try to burn it. If they don't get all that stuff cleared out no one will be getting a boat or watercraft into the lake.

Whew, glad to know I'm not the only one that is challenged when it comes to doing the whole picture thing on the net. Yesterday was my first time. I actually pm'd another poster that had posted pics and asked them how they did it. Photobucket.com Took me awhile but you also have to get flock (not flocked but flock) to be able to share the pics you download. It is so much easier to just take my little chip to the drug store and just have them put all the pics on a disk. Costs all of 3 bucks. If I can figure out how to post pics anyone can. Guess I should have asked one of my kids. LOL!!!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:57 PM

Well, it is good to hear that you have stumps, too. Of course, the bass like the stumps, except the water has been so low mine are high and dry. You know I am still living in Florida cause I have to work. Can't afford to retire for another 2.5 years. Then I will have to choose between Grand Lake in Oklahoma or Toledo Bend. I am renting my place out on Grand Lake. But I am afraid it is just too cold there. And I have lots more room to roam at Toledo Bend. I am a college teacher and am sorta edumicated. I will spend my Christmas break at Toledo. Plan to look into selling some of my timber. Have some great stands of 60 year old pine in the interior acreage. Could use that money to build a seawall--if I ever need one--when and if the lake comes up again. I take it you live on Lake Tawakoni? Tell me some more about the lake. Is it a SBA or a Corps lake. Take it you can have a pier/dock and have a leaseback provision like Toledo. I am fascinated by the entire Sabine River Basin watershed and the future of lake levels and water useage. I know Oklahoma Lake Country and am getting to know the Texas Lake country now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas