Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:25 AM

137 posts, read 278,840 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What I most want is a community that offers a ton of classes, dances, lunches, walks, outings for the 50 + crowd. But also each "class" affordable. Having a community center that specializes in this, and maybe has it's own separate health club, with equipment and computers for the 50+. I'm not against younger people, but it is gonna be easier for me to make friends with an older crowd, whose children are grown, and maybe don't work anymore. Somewhere that isn't spread way out, concentrated area to live, a smaller city or just the right neck of the city woods perhaps or a smaller town.

I was looking for this plus climate plus natural beauty so I think I was asking for too much. Now priority is my ability to create community and decent weather.

I am 50 years old. I have been mostly isolated with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Now I am ready to fill my life with people and easy activities.

My ideal place for this is Dunedin FL. Yet it is a little expensive for rent and electricity and a bit of a stretch financially. The community center there offers so much for so little money, but it is costly to live there. And 7 months of 90 and humidity is rough (I did live in SW Florida for 10 years)

Texas is so affordable and so big it is it's own country. There must be somewhere that fits! Can you guide me?

What I know I don't want is a college town. And I have to rent not purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:39 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
any of the Del Webb retirement communities, such as Sun City in Georgetown or Frisco Lakes in Frisco. Also, Robson Ranch near Denton. You will have to look around to find a rental there. Most people use golf carts to get around the community.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 AM

Thank you for that Christie. I guess I should have specified no retirement communities, but regular cities/towns. Sorry.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Richardson has a very fast aging community and a senior center that offers lots of classes, many free.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:00 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Round Rock,tx or Kerrville,tx

Old 11-12-2013, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Check out Tyler, Texas - lots of nice, walkable neighborhoods, several colleges (without that college town feeling), a wide variety of community centers, great medical facilities, natural beauty, convenient to DFW and I-20, decent cost of living, and a diverse and very active community. Also, good shopping and dining as well, including a "Whole Foods" type of upscale grocery store (called "Fresh" by Brookshires).

http://www.tylertexas.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler,_Texas

Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
The problem is that the things you are looking for are not likely to be found in the more affordable parts of Texas. Also, you might find Texas is not quite as cheap as you might think. Rent is surprisingly high here since the high property taxes are built into rental rates.

My initial thought after having read your criteria was also Kerrville. I did a quick check, and Dunedin is only about 1% more expensive than Kerrville. Food and transportation are a little more expensive in Dunedin, whereas housing and healthcare are slightly more expensive in Kerrville.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-15-2013 at 05:25 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 09:56 AM

Wow! Such speedy replies.

I like Kerrville and Tyler Texas the most.

But doing the cost comparison also on Tyler --good golly War Beagle, you are right, it is NOT as cheap as I thought.

I have but one major city I am attracted to, but I want to feel I am in a village, like Dunedin or Kerrville. Is there anywhere in San Antonio that could give me what I want in a very tiny area? So I'd only venture out for special times, like Sea World, or the Zoo or RiverWalk etc?

Or really am I best off to stop looking and just settle in Dunedin, and if worse comes to worser, I could always rent a room likely with someone my own age?

A cheaper sort of "village" just may not exist.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2013, 05:41 AM

Wait a second....can I not get a 2 bedroom apartment for under 700 in an area that isn't dangerous, in both Kerrville and Tyler?

Dunedin has no dangerous areas, but ya gotta have 800+

Please inform me on apartments. If they can be had at 700 and less, I will come to visit from Tulsa.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Tyler is a better choice, $700 is close on the rent but you should check it out. A 2 bedroom 1 bath should work for $700, yes the most new, newer, apts or more costly, check the Hudson, Kinsey, the Barclay, and more, just can't remember their names this second. Look at a directory of apts. Just stay away from North of 5th Street, West of Vine, and all the Apts, East of Puluxy on Shiloh Road, There are good ones scattered around the South and far East parts of town and a few in the Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas