Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:03 PM

42 posts, read 75,020 times

Advertisements

As a Reynosa inhabitant, all I can say is that I've hardly been on Pharr. There is a bridge which conects my city with Pharr (somewhat), but is mainly used for heavy traffic. I mostly go to McAllen and at times to Mission, Edinburg and lately San Juan.

Weird thing is once I had a dream I was shopping at Pharr's downtown when I've only seen it as I go to San Juan...

You have quite close the following stores which border with the McAllen area: Costco, Best Buy, Academy, Target and Walmart. These are the ones usually visited by fellow mexican nationals for shopping so expect to hear lots of actual mexican Spanish there, it is less used on the stores located in the west and north areas.

Not sure, what else to say... I am not of those who do the night life; but I've heard of a place called The Ice House but not sure if it is your thing as they usually go big name celebrities from Mexico and Latin America there. Anyway, I wish you good luck on your job! And please don't go to Mexico given its current situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 PM

40 posts, read 88,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynosenseConsternado View Post
As a Reynosa inhabitant, all I can say is that I've hardly been on Pharr. There is a bridge which conects my city with Pharr (somewhat), but is mainly used for heavy traffic. I mostly go to McAllen and at times to Mission, Edinburg and lately San Juan.

Weird thing is once I had a dream I was shopping at Pharr's downtown when I've only seen it as I go to San Juan...

You have quite close the following stores which border with the McAllen area: Costco, Best Buy, Academy, Target and Walmart. These are the ones usually visited by fellow mexican nationals for shopping so expect to hear lots of actual mexican Spanish there, it is less used on the stores located in the west and north areas.

Not sure, what else to say... I am not of those who do the night life; but I've heard of a place called The Ice House but not sure if it is your thing as they usually go big name celebrities from Mexico and Latin America there. Anyway, I wish you good luck on your job! And please don't go to Mexico given its current situation.

I'm guess I have to get used to the area, I appreciate all the good information that you all provide. I very new to the area, so it's kind of hard when you don't know anyone in a new town. I do enjoy the people are very friendly. I do hear alot about not going to certain location, just being cautious is hard when all the towns run together; or are only separated by one street. Otherwise, I like it very much.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 AM

Turth is, I don't know much of the night life style in McAllen, not even from my town as I don't drink alcohol. Not even sure which kind of activities you enjoy. I'd rather go to the new public library, the IMAS and to the new conventions like Omnicon they have been surfacing lately.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynosenseConsternado View Post
Turth is, I don't know much of the night life style in McAllen, not even from my town as I don't drink alcohol. Not even sure which kind of activities you enjoy. I'd rather go to the new public library, the IMAS and to the new conventions like Omnicon they have been surfacing lately.
Hi Everyone!

So where is the best place to go to catch a good movie? What types of live concerts do you have around here, what is the best venue for bands to come ? Do you have a certain place where some of the best bands all around the country come to?

Weather has been kind of changing on a daily basis, is this normal for this area?

What the best place for spring break? Nothing crazy, just nice.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Is it always this nice during Spring Break? They tell me that South Padre Island is the place to be for Spring Break. It is a beautiful place.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Another question, I have to service my vehicle, you know the routine oil change, tire rotation and overall checking of the vehicles health. Any recommendations?

Yes, I know. All the boring stuff that; however, these things needs to be done. Just not sure where is the best location, there are so many to choose from; I was reminded this morning when I saw a vehicle broken on the side of the road on the main drag. I guess I just want to find myself in that situation.

Again, I always appreciate guidance; your feedback on the subject.

Thank you.

Last edited by CarpeDiemNurse8; 03-16-2014 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Sorry Typo "I don't want to find myself in broken down lane"

Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
I don't know where you live but I go to National Lube Express. McAllen Oil Change | Brownsville Transmission Service | National Lube Express

The best price overall is Wal Mart with an oil change running about $30, but they get lazy and don't actually do all they are supposed to.

The dealerships believe it or not will advertise on TV pretty good prices as well.

An oil change is pretty routine but the other stuff also matters, filters, fluids, tires, etc.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I don't know where you live but I go to National Lube Express. McAllen Oil Change | Brownsville Transmission Service | National Lube Express

The best price overall is Wal Mart with an oil change running about $30, but they get lazy and don't actually do all they are supposed to.

The dealerships believe it or not will advertise on TV pretty good prices as well.

An oil change is pretty routine but the other stuff also matters, filters, fluids, tires, etc.

I appreciate you suggestions, it's hard to make a choice, when there are so many places and I have no way of knowing if they will do the job right. And frankly, I hate to take a chance because my car is my lifeline for work and just daily life.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiemNurse8 View Post
I appreciate you suggestions, it's hard to make a choice, when there are so many places and I have no way of knowing if they will do the job right. And frankly, I hate to take a chance because my car is my lifeline for work and just daily life.
Tires and Auto Service | THE TIRE CORRAL McAllen, TX (956) 631-8473
I used them for years--very dependable & won't charge for or do unnecessary work.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Tires and Auto Service | THE TIRE CORRAL McAllen, TX (956) 631-8473
I used them for years--very dependable & won't charge for or do unnecessary work.
Thanks for telling me. My dad prefers WalMart but no idea they were lazy. We have plenty of them here in Reynosa, can't know who to trust There is a place called Mecatec which they seem like pros but use cheap parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiemNurse8 View Post
Hi Everyone!

What types of live concerts do you have around here, what is the best venue for bands to come ?

Weather has been kind of changing on a daily basis, is this normal for this area?

What the best place for spring break? Nothing crazy, just nice.
For concerts, well I notice instrumental and such go over to the new Convention Center. Rock and others go to State Farm Arena. Some areas in Mercedes, Alamo and Mission get various musical events even folk groups from Mexico who prefer to perform in the US side that at Reynosa lol as even RGV small venues are seen as better for them. And yeah, early spring weather here is nice... till summer comes and it is hot as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas