Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 8,189 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to move to Midland/Odessa area from VA.

I have been reading all the posts in this forum since and am trying to get an idea of where to relocate.

My summary from this forum is stay east of loop 338 between business loop 20 and 191 if planning to stay in Odessa. Stay mile north and south of loop 250 in between big Springfield and business loop 20 if planning to stay in Midland. So North east for Odessa and North west for Midland

Still, I would like to narrow the inputs from the fellow forum members to my particular case, so it can help me.

So here it is. I am single young professional. Like to spend some time outside in the weekend visiting places or movies or shopping as well as enjoy my stay at home. Not so much into drink/bar scene. Definitely don't want to stay in noisy neighborhood. I want to rent an apartment, Single Bedroom, within acceptable commutable distance to Odessa and nearby area.

If anyone has other suggestions than what I wrote above please pitch in and I will be grateful.

By biggest dilemma is should I stay in Odessa or should I go to Midland? The more I read about it the more I am leaning towards going to midland.

Also, any bad areas around those places that I should be aware of so I accidentally don't wander into?

What specific apartments would any one recommend? I read that getting place to live was really bad. Is the situation calmed down or is it still aggravated?

How is the everyday commute from midland to Odessa every morning and evening? Is the traffic really bad?

Also about water quality from tap water, is it drinkable or does everyone use bottled water? Is reverse osmosis system compulsory?

Any kind of help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
Are you going to be working in Odessa?
If yes, then I would live in Odessa...I don't think the traffic would be too bad but since I go the other way...East ... I really don't know. I suppose specific time of morning might make a difference as well.

The area in Midland where you mentioned is pretty decent.

Check out Weidner's website they manage most of the better apartments in the area it seems.

Unlike what everyone says, there's plenty to do here for towns of this size.

You should have no trouble finding a one bedroom...as long as 1k/mo is acceptable to you.

I did find places in Odessa for around 8-900, but they didn't have her/dryer hookups in them. I'm not big on laundry rooms.

There seems to be constant traffic everywhere but if you come from any big city the traffic here will seem like nothing.

What industry are you in?

Old 11-18-2013, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,189 times
I am going to work in the oil industry.

I will be working not necessarily in Odessa but in the oil fields around it....

For rent we do not have a choice, we gotta pay what is currently in demand.....

I would like washer/dryer included in the apartment. saves time...

What about the drinking water situation?

Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM

IMHO the water taste funny....then again so did the water in Las Vegas at first....as for quality....I'm not sure as I intend to distill my own soon.

Trinity Place has full size w/d hookups and for $50/ mo. They'll provide the machines....I'm putting my own in.

Who are you working for? Find out where they are and plan from there.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
191 is krazy.the water is horrible.If I were you, I would deal with the traffic and live in Midland.I don't like Odessa that much

Old 11-18-2013, 05:02 PM

^^^^ Unless they are going to work in Odessa....

Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^^ Unless they are going to work in Odessa....
My dad works in Odessa but we live in Midland so not neccesarily

Old 11-18-2013, 05:28 PM

^^^^ I'm talking about the OP....

Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
My dad works in Odessa but we live in Midland so not neccesarily
Boy, I'd hate to make that commute every day, especially the way things are now!

I know it's only 20 miles, but it sure did get OLD for me.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^^ I'm talking about the OP....
my bad lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas