Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 10:09 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,491 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My brother and I were both born in Texas and lived there for a number of years. Our family moved to Cali in the 80s. Now, my brother and I want to move back with our wives. My wife and my brother want to go back to college and we do not want to pay out of state tuition. But, I got to thinking. We were both born in Texas and have Texas birth certificates. So, are were still considered a citizen even though we have been gone for a long time? Or will we need to live in Texas for a year to then be considered a citizen again? If we are still considered a citizen, will our wives automatically be considered citizens since they are married to us? Or will they have to live in state for a year?

If anyone has information or can point me to where I can get more answers? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 10:15 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,561 times
Yes....A natural born Texan is always a Texan!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Hello All,

My brother and I were both born in Texas and lived there for a number of years. Our family moved to Cali in the 80s. Now, my brother and I want to move back with our wives. My wife and my brother want to go back to college and we do not want to pay out of state tuition. But, I got to thinking. We were both born in Texas and have Texas birth certificates. So, are were still considered a citizen even though we have been gone for a long time? Or will we need to live in Texas for a year to then be considered a citizen again? If we are still considered a citizen, will our wives automatically be considered citizens since they are married to us? Or will they have to live in state for a year?

If anyone has information or can point me to where I can get more answers? Thanks!
Of course, you are a U.S. citizen and even better yet, a native Texan! This has nothing to do with qualifying for in-state rates, though. It's the current length of residency, not where you were born, that qualifies you.

You, just like anyone else that moves here, would have to establish a year's residency again in TX BEFORE qualifying for in-state tuition rates. Look at the general guidelines under Guide to Dallas Colleges and Universities and specific admissions requirements for each college at the following link:

See Find Schools, Universities & Colleges in Dallas, Texas ( TX ) - DallasEducation.com

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-24-2007 at 11:11 PM..

Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,491 times
Yeah I know I am a US citizen I meant Texas citizen, but the right wording is resident I guess. So, we have to wait unfortunately.

I know you guys HATE Californians coming into Texas, but since we are native Texans, I hope you will accepts us with arms wide open again. We came back when we could

Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,561 times
Quote:
Yeah I know I am a US citizen I meant Texas citizen, but the right wording is resident I guess. So, we have to wait unfortunately.

I know you guys HATE Californians coming into Texas, but since we are native Texans, I hope you will accepts us with arms wide open again. We came back when we could
Kind of like that bumper sticker "I wasnt born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could"

Welcome to TEXAS my friend!!!

And BTW FYI, its YA'LL not You Guys

Old 11-25-2007, 12:21 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
I know you guys HATE Californians coming into Texas
It's not WHERE you come from,
it's all in the ATTITUDE you have when you get here!

Welcome back home, Ya'll!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:12 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
Quote:
Hello All,

Texas doesn't have "citizenship". I think the law requires you to live here for a year to be a resident for tuition purposes. For other purposes I think you have to live here 90 days, except for divorce...that's six months.

HTH

Old 11-25-2007, 09:13 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
It's not WHERE you come from,
it's all in the ATTITUDE you have when you get here!

Welcome back home, Ya'll!
Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. We like people coming here who WANT to be here and who embrace the culture!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. We like people coming here who WANT to be here and who embrace the culture!
Damn right! Perfectly said (and new2sa said it as well). Native Texans are the most hospitable and welcoming people on earth. But DON'T start telling us how you did it Up North or Out West in a way that implies OUR ways are wrong! LOL

In fact, something I just got to thinkin' of on the spot.

Scenario: A new neighbor from either of the above mentioned locales interacts with the native Texan. Depending on the attitude of the former, the latter will greet them with either the "cornbread and blackeyed peas"...or Southwest Airlines...are ready when they are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: