Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 04:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,080 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both from California. We are both in the medical field, a nurse and medical assistant. We would like to relocate to Texas, either Houston or Dallas. We were wondering which is the better and safer places to live in?

We plan on buying a house prior to moving. We would like to live in safe/nice neighborhood with a low crime rate, if possible. We don't care if it's gated and etc. Also we would prefer an area that are close to stores, malls and etc.

Also to fellow Californians who have moved to Texas, how was your experience in settling in?

We plan on moving sometime in either 2014 or 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:09 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Either will do. Suburbs like Woodlands, Sugar Land, Clear Lake, Plano, Frisco, etc. fit your criteria.
Houston does have the Texas Medical Center, largest medical district in the world and a great place to gain experience and boost your career.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
We were wondering which is the better and safer places to live in?
Neither is better or safer. Each has better and safer places within them. Houston will be much more humid (if not actually hotter) than Dallas, whereas Dallas will get much colder in the winter. Houston will have the occasional hurricane and more rain in general; Dallas will have the random tornado. Both are relatively flat (no mountains, anyway) and both have strong economies.

When I do think of medical, though, Houston comes to mind first. But there are a 1,000 other criteria that you should be looking at that are more specific to you, since your first pass does not really narrow it down .

Old 12-17-2013, 07:14 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Yes. Also if one isn't prepared for the occasional ice storm in winter, may think twice about the Dallas area.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedxoxo View Post
My husband and I are both from California. We are both in the medical field, a nurse and medical assistant. We would like to relocate to Texas, either Houston or Dallas. We were wondering which is the better and safer places to live in?

We plan on buying a house prior to moving. We would like to live in safe/nice neighborhood with a low crime rate, if possible. We don't care if it's gated and etc. Also we would prefer an area that are close to stores, malls and etc.

Also to fellow Californians who have moved to Texas, how was your experience in settling in?

We plan on moving sometime in either 2014 or 2015.
Nurses along with other medical professions generally make more money in Houston. The medical community down there is BOOMING & has always been much larger & better over all than Dallas'. Dallas is a little safer according to latest crime statistics, but Houston is also twice the size so it cancels out IMO. That's city proper, not the suburbs. Houston's burbs are just as new, nice, & safe as any of Dallas'.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-17-2013 at 07:44 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
You really cant go wrong with either. The market for nurses is excellent in both.

Houston has a more renouned medical market but Dallas has a lot more Californians (talking metro areas here). The cities of Houston and Dallas have similar crime rates, but when you look at metro areas, Dallas Metro (not counting Fort Worth) is quite a bit safer than Greater Houston. While there are many nice suburbs of both, Houston has a lot more bad suburbs than Dallas does. Either way, you can find a burb or a neighborhood in either city that will fit your needs nicely.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You really cant go wrong with either. The market for nurses is excellent in both.

Houston has a more renouned medical market but Dallas has a lot more Californians (talking metro areas here). The cities of Houston and Dallas have similar crime rates, but when you look at metro areas, Dallas Metro (not counting Fort Worth) is quite a bit safer than Greater Houston. While there are many nice suburbs of both, Houston has a lot more bad suburbs than Dallas does. Either way, you can find a burb or a neighborhood in either city that will fit your needs nicely.
Dallas does have better, "nicer" if you will, suburbs, yes, but that's only because that's what makes up most of D/FW's population is large suburbs. Each one has their own government control & ordinances.

Houston is the larger city with smaller suburbs & less of them equates to a lot less regulations. No zoning can often times give people the wrong impression of Houston unless you fully understand its benefits.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-17-2013 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 09:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas does have better, "nicer" if you will, suburbs, yes, but that's only because that's what makes up most of D/FW's population is large suburbs. Each one has their own government control & ordinances.

Houston is the larger city with smaller suburbs & less of them equates to a lot less regulations. No zoning can often times give people the wrong impression of Houston unless you fully understand its benefits.
No zoning is the only thing I dont like about Houston. I dont see any benefits whatsoever to it. Other than that, I love Houston.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
No zoning is the only thing I dont like about Houston. I dont see any benefits whatsoever to it. Other than that, I love Houston.
Benefits are you have all of your amenities closer to you...gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, liquor stores, etc.

Dallas isn't set up that way. You have to drive a little further to get what you need.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
Find the job, then pick an area to live. Keep your commute short..

Dallas has more seasons and a greater geographical variety than Houston. But Houston has the Gulf if you like water activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas