Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 07:01 AM

218 posts, read 840,290 times

Advertisements

Hello -

Some friends and I were thinking of driving to Laredo around the 29th this month and taking a Greyhound down to Monterrey for New Years. The trip is only 60 dollars roundtrip, as opposed to flights which are now in the $500 range. I have a couple questions, however.

1. I know Monterrey and Nuevo Leon have had many issues in the past few years. However, I know that the violence has abated to some degree in the past year, and that it's not as dangerous as it once was. I'm assuming that since Greyhound runs buses approximately ten times a day from Laredo to Monterrey, the trip must be relatively safe at this point. Can anyone offer their thoughts on this?

2. I've never been to Laredo, and I don't know where the Greyhound station is in town. For those familiar with the area, is there a place nearby that it would be safe to leave a car for five days?

Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be welcomed graciously. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,382 times
Find something else to do. mexico is not a place you want to go.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:41 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
SMH. why would you go to Laredo or Mexico if you didn't have to?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:14 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
The actual trip down to Monterrey is relatively safe. Once you are in Monterrey be careful and stay strictly in the tourist areas. Monterrey has it's fair share of random violence. Nuevo Laredo is particularly bad even today. Not as bad as say 2005 but still bad. Greyhound will not make the actual trip into Mexico. You will be traveling on a Mexican bus line which is contracted by Greyhound. The Mexican buses are actually nicer than the American and offer more comfortable seats and movies. It is not far, probably around 3 hours.

The Greyhound station in Laredo is in downtown right off I-35 (1 block west). There are a number of parking lots available but for long term I am not sure how safe they are. You might try calling the bus station, there's bound to be at least a couple that are safe?

It is still risky anywhere you travel in Mexico with the exception of the Caribbean (Cancun or the Mayan Riviera)

Old 12-18-2013, 02:41 PM

836 posts, read 2,948,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
Hello -

Some friends and I were thinking of driving to Laredo around the 29th this month and taking a Greyhound down to Monterrey for New Years. The trip is only 60 dollars roundtrip, as opposed to flights which are now in the $500 range. I have a couple questions, however.
Glad you come to Monterrey.

In Laredo Texas you have other options than Greyhound to travel to Mexico.

Turimex
8919 San Dario, Bus Station Laredo
Laredo
+1 800-733-7330

Greyhound Lines
610 Salinas Ave
Laredo, TX 78040
Estados Unidos

But I recommend you walk across the bridge, take a taxi in Mexico to the bus station (Senda or Omnibus) to avoid the waiting time in the customs review. In Christmas season many people visit Mexico so revisions to buses at the bridge can take hours.

Quote:
1. I know Monterrey and Nuevo Leon have had many issues in the past few years. However, I know that the violence has abated to some degree in the past year, and that it's not as dangerous as it once was. I'm assuming that since Greyhound runs buses approximately ten times a day from Laredo to Monterrey, the trip must be relatively safe at this point. Can anyone offer their thoughts on this?
When you consider the amount of people traveling from Texas to Monterrey without incidents, you can see the travel is very safe.

Quote:
2. I've never been to Laredo, and I don't know where the Greyhound station is in town. For those familiar with the area, is there a place nearby that it would be safe to leave a car for five days?

Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be welcomed graciously. Thanks!
Grayhound is just below the municipal parking, so you must don't have any problem to leave your car there.

About Monterrey:

I recommend visiting the downtown, the Macroplaza is sorrounded by gardens, theaters and museums. There you can go by the river to Fundidora Park, and later to Barrio Antiguo. Also near the downtown you can visit the Obispado Hill to see the city from the top, if the weather is good for hiking you can go to Chipinque Park. More info in: http://www.nl.gob.mx/?P=turismo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas