Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
But they are 2 seperate, distinct metros because the core cities of each, Dallas & Fort Worth, are 2 seperate and distinct cities. See the thing is, metros generally speaking are anchored by a single, much larger municipality than any surrounding cities which of course become the suburbs of the anchor city. But to a man, most everybody agrees Fort Worth is nobodys 'burb, afterall it's currently approximated 2/3rds the size of Dallas and growing more rapidly than Dallas with much higher expectations for long-term growth than Dallas.
No one is saying Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas. But they still are not two seperate metro areas. Even the Census doesnt measure the "metropolitan divisions" anymore as of 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Rather than the two being separate metros. I think most view them as two large cities that share the same suburban communities. It's hard to say that places like Grapevine, Arlington, Southlake, H-E-B, etc are strictly Ft Worth burbs because that's not the case.
Its gotten two the point where the line where one ends and one begins is blurred to the point where it cant be seen. Arlington is not strictly a suburb of Fort Worth any more than Grand Prarie is strictly a suburb of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 03:43 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
No one is saying Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas. But they still are not two seperate metro areas.
But that's precisely why Fort Worth is part of a seperate metropolitan area, because it must be a suburb of Dallas to be part of the Dallas-Plano-Irving metro and it's NOT a suburb of that metro. They are in fact mutually exclusive.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
Going off memory something like 140-150k people commute from Tarrant county into Dallas county for work. I believe 40-50k do the reverse.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
But that's precisely why Fort Worth is part of a seperate metropolitan area, because it must be a suburb of Dallas to be part of the Dallas-Plano-Irving metro and it's NOT a suburb of that metro. They are in fact mutually exclusive.
No they aren't. That's why it's called the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metro area. Remember the census doesn't even have metropolitan divisions for them anymore.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
No they aren't. That's why it's called the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metro area. Remember the census doesn't even have metropolitan divisions for them anymore.
This is what I was thinking.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,600 times
Quote:
For crying out loud, just look at the post at the top of this thread that the OP has entered - what appears there is a seperate individual projection of stats for the Fort-Worth & Dallas metro divisions out to 2018 !

Old 12-31-2013, 12:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Going off memory something like 140-150k people commute from Tarrant county into Dallas county for work. I believe 40-50k do the reverse.
I believe that's about right. I think it's about 19% of Tarrant County workers commute to Dallas County while 6% of Dallas County workers commute to Tarrant County.

When you look at it city by city though, IIRC less than 5% of actual Fort Worth workers that commute to Dallas County.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:40 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
For crying out loud, just look at the post at the top of this thread that the OP has entered - what appears there is a seperate individual projection of stats for the Fort-Worth & Dallas metro divisions out to 2018 !
Yes, I believe they are still using metropolitan divisions.

While there is some interdependence, FW and Dallas do function to some extent as separate metros. However, eastern Tarrant is more a part of Dallas. This is certainly not to say that FW is a suburb of Dallas. It pretty clearly isn't.

Downtown FW is actually west of the center of Tarrant County and I believe DT Dallas is a bit west of the center of Dallas County as well, so it's fairly remarkable that the eastern Tarrant County cities don't commute even more heavily to the east.

FW could rightfully be called the anchor of an area with about 1.25-1.5 million people.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:02 PM

43 posts, read 63,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes, I believe they are still using metropolitan divisions.

While there is some interdependence, FW and Dallas do function to some extent as separate metros. However, eastern Tarrant is more a part of Dallas. This is certainly not to say that FW is a suburb of Dallas. It pretty clearly isn't.

Downtown FW is actually west of the center of Tarrant County and I believe DT Dallas is a bit west of the center of Dallas County as well, so it's fairly remarkable that the eastern Tarrant County cities don't commute even more heavily to the east.

FW could rightfully be called the anchor of an area with about 1.25-1.5 million people.
Look at what happened to the city of Toronto during its "amalgamation" into one major city. It had huge suburbs around it. There are numerous downtowns around Toronto today as a result. On a much lessor scale, something similar has happened in Dallas - Fort Worth with skylines in Dallas, Fort Worth, Irving, Addison / Farmers Branch, Richardson, University Park (Preston Center) and Plano / Frisco with the last two just beginning to develop.

I would argue that Dallas - Fort Worth is four distinct cities instead of two with the North Dallas area growing to the extent that people north of Plano can't possibly commute to Dallas proper to work. Similarly, the area around DFW airport / Irving is a huge employment center apart from Dallas.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Re-read my post Jim. I said that the census doesn't measure it and they don't. Those projections aren't from the census.

Go to the ACS and try to pull the demographic data from the separate divisions. You can't. You used to be able to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas