Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 10:15 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times

Advertisements

The boom is back: Commercial building hits new high in D-FW | Dallas Morning News
Moderator cut: copyrighted material

Quote:
Vacancy rates are declining, and rents are rising.
“This is a surefire recipe to call out the state bird of Texas, the construction crane.”
Quote:
More than 20 buildings with almost 6 million square feet of office space are being built in North Texas. About a quarter of the space in the more than a dozen speculative buildings is already leased to tenants.
Quote:
Apartment builders have been the most aggressive in the current cycle, with about 27,000 rental units being built — significantly more than at the top of the previous market in 2008.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 04-25-2014 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Remember when quoting Coprighted Material to keep it to a snippet (2-3 sentences)

Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
thats cool and all... but where are all the TOWERS? you could say Spring, TX is booming with construction cranes (there were 16 tower cranes at the Exxon site alone, at one time), but that doesnt mean Exxon is building any towers.. they use those for certain low-mid rise buildings too you know?
there has got to be more than the few previously mentioned towers U/C in Dallas right now..

and whats with that "official bird" being the "construction crane" comment? thats always been Houstons joke...

Old 04-25-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
thats cool and all... but where are all the TOWERS? you could say Spring, TX is booming with construction cranes (there were 16 tower cranes at the Exxon site alone, at one time), but that doesnt mean Exxon is building any towers.. they use those for certain low-mid rise buildings too you know?
there has got to be more than the few previously mentioned towers U/C in Dallas right now..

and whats with that "official bird" being the "construction crane" comment? thats always been Houstons joke...
You dont have to respond to everything i post...just read the article and quit trying to discredit it.

I only posted that to let people know that theres alot more going on up here than you and ctk07 try and make it seem.
Quote:
Now I know why Dallas posters are so vague by posting how much "stuff" is being built in the core of Dallas, because it doesn't come anywhere near the level of activity in Houston or even Austin. All of Texas is booming, but obviously there are forces at play that are steering companies away from building towers in Dallas. I mean it's great seeing the projects that are going up, and maybe one of these years some substantial projects will get moving in the big-D.
Quote:
its just strange Dallas has been relatively stagnant in this boom while Austin and Houston are getting loads of high rise projects.

Last edited by dallasboi; 04-25-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 03:36 PM

577 posts, read 512,098 times
Quote:
You dont have to respond to everything i post...just read the article and quit trying to discredit it.

I only posted that to let people know that theres alot more going on up here than you and ctk07 try and make it seem.
There may be a lot of construction going on in Dallas, that is obvious. I only made the observation that there isn't much in the way of high rise construction going on. Just a slow time for that type of project in Dallas I suppose, don't get all bent out of shape about it, I don't control what's being built.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
There may be a lot of construction going on in Dallas, that is obvious. I only made the observation that there isn't much in the way of high rise construction going on. Just a slow time for that type of project in Dallas I suppose, don't get all bent out of shape about it, I don't control what's being built.
Not bent out of shape..... just want you guys to know that Hi-rises are not the only marker for a boom. Dallas is not in "need" for Hi-rises.... so just because we dont have 100 highrises under construction at the same time as Houston and Austin does not mean that dallas is stagnant in the boom....Every city is on its own time schedule.....Hoooray for Austin and all the highrises.
Would it be fair if I said its aboout time Austin started building a real skyline???....No it wouldnt be....Austin will build stuff at its own pace when needed....Just like Dallas.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Not bent out of shape..... just want you guys to know that Hi-rises are not the only marker for a boom. Dallas is not in "need" for Hi-rises.... so just because we dont have 100 highrises under construction at the same time as Houston and Austin does not mean that dallas is stagnant in the boom....Every city is on its own time schedule.....Hoooray for Austin and all the highrises.
Would it be fair if I said its aboout time Austin started building a real skyline???....No it wouldnt be....Austin will build stuff at its own pace when needed....Just like Dallas.
This is a discussion about "new towers of Texas" and I really love the posts and comments about everything going on in the state, it's very exciting. For someone "not bent out of shape" you sure followed that up with some defensive statements. There's no need for being defensive about pure observations that people make about REALITY. Nobody is being ugly or demeaning about there not being many high rises going up in Dallas..just sayin don't

Old 04-25-2014, 04:09 PM

568 posts, read 901,083 times
This thread is about towers so if you want to talk about other developments then find an appropriate thread.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:17 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
This is a discussion about "new towers of Texas" and I really love the posts and comments about everything going on in the state, it's very exciting. For someone "not bent out of shape" you sure followed that up with some defensive statements. There's no need for being defensive about pure observations that people make about REALITY. Nobody is being ugly or demeaning about there not being many high rises going up in Dallas..just sayin don't
Ten years ago, Austin's skyline was basically nonexistent. Austin is building its skyline from scratch...Dallas is densifying.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Ten years ago, Austin's skyline was basically nonexistent. Austin is building its skyline from scratch...Dallas is densifying.

There are several more residential towers going up in Austin around the old power plant, but my only complaint with that is the cost of buying/renting. It would be nice to have highrise apartments that are actually affordable to the average person.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:34 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Quote:

i dont reply to everything you post. i was just pointing out that while Dallas may be seeing its fair share of construction, that almost none of it is high-rise construction (which is what this thread is about last time i checked.. )

Quote:
we were talking about "high-rise booms" (again, this is a TOWER thread, now matter how many times you try to derail it/turn the argument around).
so youre saying Dallas doesnt need any more high-rises (yall have 279), but apparently Houston is in "need" of high-rises (we have 478, or for those who arent good at math, one tower shy of 200 more high-rises than Dallas). please explain to me why there is a "need" in Houston, but not a "need" in Dallas.

Quote:
exactly. its reality. no need for boi to start getting defensive. do i get defensive when they say Houston has less miles of light rail than Dallas? no, its a fact.. there is no arguing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas