Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 AM

384 posts, read 1,413,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2005 View Post
Speaking from a minority point of view (Hispanic....although some in Texas might not consider that a minority anymore) I am kind of offended at what a couple of the posters on here said. Likely, jabbit has not lived in B/CS.
one month. i jetted out of that town. no room for creatives or individuals. all the room for clones. ive been to a lot of areas/places in texas.

san marcos, san antonio, austin and denton are tops.

but different strokes for different folks u know. i dont like certain things that other people love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:45 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
College Station is a great place to live. It has some of the lowest unemployment in the state, it has a great University, the people are very friendly. It is a little conservative, but not overly so.

Also, there is a big movement of retirement people moving back to the city, housing is going up all over the place there, its quickly growing.

My brother and sister in law live and work there and they LOVE it. It keeps you young to live there.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:20 AM

22 posts, read 109,904 times
Spent 3 years in College Station as a student and professional.

Yes, it's conservative, but not as much as some individuals who have obviously had extremely bad experiences would make it out.

There is plenty of room for free thinking, open mindsets, and diverse experiences. It takes cowardice to surround yourself with only like minds for fear of encountering opposition, and personal initiative to get involved in those things you believe in, regardless of "perceived" prejudices and norms. I am liberal minded, spent four years at UNT in Denton (a "perceived" open minded "Mecca"), and have absolutely zero WASP affiliations. While I prefer Denton given my current life circumstances, College Station is a more family friendly town, IMO, and like just about any place with 150,000 residents, you can find plenty of people and activities you can relate with, irrespective of political, philosophical, or religious leanings.

As always, it's best to create impressions on your own. Visit, multiple times if you can. Talk extensively with the residents; ask questions; get feedback. In fact College Station is an incredibly friendly place as long as you don't enter into it with preconceived notions.

I spent the summer of '06 in Boulder, CO working at the university. The town itself is very liberal and "open-minded", extremely beautiful, has FANTASTIC transportation and infrastructure, awesome shopping, and just about unparalleled recreation activities ... I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. The "open-minded" culture also included an overriding lack of common courtesy (all in comparison to CS of course) ... people didn't smile at one another; I can't tell you how many times I would hold the door open for people and never get a simple "thank you"; and the overall feel was that people were truly individuals living with the inconvenience of others instead of individuals living in a community. I love a free thinking, open minded vibe, but that alone in no way makes a place pleasant to live in, regardless of your belief system.

Different things float different people's boat, but one thing you find in CS is a community ... as long as you bring a friendly vibe with you, you'll find most people are courteous and outright welcoming.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
My brother and sister in law live and work there and they LOVE it. It keeps you young to live there.

When I was there, the average age in zip code 77840 was 19.5. Once you reach drinking age you will find the attitudes are mostly inane like any 19 year olds' would be. It keeps you feeling OLD to live and stagnate there. Once you're 25, you're over the hill. I knew quite a few 25-35 year old non-students there who were very unhappy socially.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrstx View Post
San Marcos is a good town if you want a smaller-sized college town and still be close to a big city (two actually) and the hills if you need to get away. Can't complain about a lack of shopping there.

As for College Station, I did time there for 3 years and, coming from Austin, I originally did not like it that much. The whole A&M culture was slightly intimidating at first, like being in an extended version of Triumph of the Will (was Leni an Aggie by chance?) It eventually grew on me and I got to the point where I liked A&M and CS, though I confess I still spent most weekends out of town - Houston and Austin were just funner in your 20s. Most of the posters have it right, that whole rabidly crazed A&M tradition thing is pretty much just a dog and pony show; most people there are pretty normal and many are well educated contrary to the stereotype.

I am still laughing 10 minutes later!

Of course I went to SMU - the school whose cheerleaders were chased off the 'sacred' Kyle football field by an Aggie Corps member with a drawn saber.

All we could do was yell, "Niedermeyer!"

Old 11-28-2007, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
one month. i jetted out of that town. no room for creatives or individuals. all the room for clones. ive been to a lot of areas/places in texas.

san marcos, san antonio, austin and denton are tops.

but different strokes for different folks u know. i dont like certain things that other people love.
You think you have a feel for the place after a month? I'm a guy that lived in CS for 8.5 years. During the bulk of that time my hair was nearly down to my waist and I had 15+ piercings. Hardly a clone, and I loved it there.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuddsGuy View Post
You think you have a feel for the place after a month? I'm a guy that lived in CS for 8.5 years. During the bulk of that time my hair was nearly down to my waist and I had 15+ piercings. Hardly a clone, and I loved it there.

Did you by chance happen to work at Smokin Joes?

Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuddsGuy View Post
you bet i have a feel of the place after a month. i got the very solid feeling that thats not my kinda a place. i appreciate the arts and music and CS wasnt about that in a progressive sense for texas. its fine not all places can be cool like that.

everyones a clone of something. i just dont like the clones from CS. too predictable and boring.

since when has CS been about the arts and music. NEVER. does A&M even have a dept of art? im talking about CS A&M.

i also find it funny that u think that just because u have waist long hair and more piercings than holes in/on your body that that begets individualism.

precisly why i guess u fit in CS with that line of thinking. lol
but u know what? im sure you're a cool cat. just with different preferences than me.

its all about preferences.

i dont prefer CS in ANY respect.

Last edited by jabbit; 11-28-2007 at 03:39 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 04:47 PM

8 posts, read 41,305 times
Default From State College to B-CS

As someone who is familiar with both places, I'd say if you're comfortable in State College, you'll do fine in Bryan-College Station. The two places are remarkably similar, except B-CS is a heck of a lot HOTTER in the summer.

Both places live and die with their universities, and life revolves around them 24-7.
Though B-CS is politically conservative, as is the A&M student body on the whole, the faculty is decidedly liberal and university culture is similar to other large public universities around the country. Don't let the presence of 2,000 uniformed ROTC guys dissuade you from that. Although they do have a disproportionate amount of influence on campus policies, there are 43,000 other students there.

And please, every town in Texas is conservative to varying degrees unless you're Austin, San Marcos, Denton or Houston, to a lesser extent. B-CS is no different, and if you are politically liberal, you will find a large like-minded community at the university, it's just not as large as the conservative contingent.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 9,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
you bet i have a feel of the place after a month. i got the very solid feeling that thats not my kinda a place. i appreciate the arts and music and CS wasnt about that in a progressive sense for texas. its fine not all places can be cool like that.
If you want a thriving arts and music scene, you're not going to get it in a small town anywhere.

Quote:
i also find it funny that u think that just because u have waist long hair and more piercings than holes in/on your body that that begets individualism.
YOU said everyone there was a clone of each other. That's not the case.

It's just stupid to think you can tell that everyone in a city of 150k is a clone of each other when you were there all of 4 weeks.

tstone - nope not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas