Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:37 PM

68 posts, read 273,930 times

Advertisements

I have a 2007 corolla and when I went in for an inspection recently, I was told to change the drive belt or else car wont pass inspection. I went ahead and got it fixed from the same facility.

Now that I am looking on state website for items of inspection, I don't see any mention of drive belts on there. Does anyone have any experience with belts/inspection?

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Nope! You got duped!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Nope! You got duped!
Most likely so. While the inspection facility can "suggest" needed repairs, it can't deny an inspection sticker for those things that are not on the state checklist for safety/pollution compliance. When I've had this happen to me in the past, I've simply left that inspection station and gone to another and then had the repair done by a neutral mechanic at a facility I trust.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
When does your owners manual recommend for replacing the drive belt? Sounds a little early for a 2007 vehicle unless you have put a lot of miles on it. It can be a really-really expensive repair to make if it breaks, damaging many other parts. If it was due for replacement, it was probably prudent to do so, even though it has nothing to do with a safety inspection.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
By drive belt, one has to assume a fan belt or a timing belt?

If it's a single serpentine belt driving the fan, alternator, water pump, AC, power steering pump, etc., breaking it could mean you are broken down within a short distance after the belt breaks. A worn serpentine belt is not a State safety inspection item but certainly one you would want to know about. Maybe that is what the inspector was implying?

If by drive belt you mean, a timing belt, the same applies except that, if it breaks, you'll do well just to coast to a safe stop. However, this is also not a State safety inspection issue.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
By drive belt, one has to assume a fan belt or a timing belt?
A timing belt would not usually be visible without dismantling a cover plate - not a simple job. Drive belt usually implies the belt that "drives" the various auxiliaries such as fan, air conditioner and power steering pump.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 AM

325 posts, read 576,530 times
Had a similar problem with an inspection station in Indiana a few decades ago. The State authorizes filling stations and others to do the mechanical inspections. One of the items on their check list is the serpentine belt. If it looks worn - they tell you to change it out for a $$$ price. I took it to my dealer - they inspected it and gave it the thumbs up and gave me my inspection tag for a couple of bucks. Always get a second opinion.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:16 PM

348 posts, read 830,297 times
The drive belt is not a safety inspection item. The belt is not safety equipment. The only reason on the list to look under the hood is to see that the exhaust system is intact. The safety inspection is not meant to be a complete inspection and recommend or require maintenance or repairs for the purpose of vehicle efficiency or reliability.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 AM

It was the drive belt (not timing).

Initially, he told me I failed the inspection because belt is cracked.
I am placing a call to him to get his response before following up with the state.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 AM

Placed a call to the mechanic. He said its a safety issue and been the law for several years. He said He will email me something related to it.
He definitely seemed agitated. Saying I have customers here and saying if I need his home address when I asked for his name.

Btw, The mechanic is Car Care Central 7013 Alma Dr, Plano, TX 75025

I am following up with the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: