Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,419 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My name is Rosie and I need some good advice. To tell you a bit about myself and husband we work in the Bakken. My husband is a driver in the oil field and I work in sales for a national lumberyard company selling building material. We have a 13 yr. old son and would like to move to Texas in the next 8 months. I need some good suggestions of towns were we may fine...

A.) work, doing close to the same for my husband (granted the pay will not be the same) and I will do anything.

B.) good schools.

I have been looking a lot in the surrounding area of Dallas / Fort Worth. I would like to be no more then 45 mins away. Is this a good choice or should I be looking elsewhere?

These are my likes and wants God willing...
Older historical home with at least 1/4 acre of land, a nice town feel and good God fearing people.
My budget is 150k or less, I would love not to have a mortgage payment. If this is long winded or if I'm asking for to much I apologies. Thank you for any input, Happy New Year and God bless!

Rosie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 12:02 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
I think you may be asking for too much.....just sayin'

Old 01-05-2014, 07:41 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Granbury is a small town with old historic homes as well as Grandview and Cleburne. These towns are in the Barnett Shale activity, so your husband should be able to find work.

You should be ok in finding work as well, although you will more than likely be looking at a commute to Cleburne or Fort Worth.

I think several of the small towns around the area have older homes you might find interesting and they're in the Barnett Shale activity all around in this area.

Weatherford and Decatur are also towns you might want to look at. I'm just mentioning a few towns that are located in the Barnett Shale which should supply work for your husband. Hopefully, others will chime in with their suggestions.

Texas is known for being religious friendly in both the small and large cities.

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Lonestar's post pretty much nails it, so I won't repeat it!

I do think that, within 45 minutes of DFW, your budget for an older, historical home on a decent sized lot may be low - unless you are willing to do a LOT of fixing up of a very shabby property.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Lonestar's post pretty much nails it, so I won't repeat it!

I do think that, within 45 minutes of DFW, your budget for an older, historical home on a decent sized lot may be low - unless you are willing to do a LOT of fixing up of a very shabby property.
This. You're going to have to look at least 60 miles from DFW or raise your budget. You could probably do a place like Hillsboro or Gainesville on that budget, but not much closer. Even then, you won't get much land with it.

You may have to re-evaluate your priorities.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Unless you want to buy a historical home that is also a fixer-upper, your budget is too low. This becomes even more so when you want a home with a large lot.

Terrell and Waxahachie are both known for having a lot of historical homes, but they arer further away from Dallas than you want. Terrell schools are also not the best.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Rosie, your husband should consider going to work over around Midland-Odessa, that is where the fracking boom is going on in Texas and salaries are really high. However, it is also hard to find a decent place to live because of all the people moving there for jobs. Read some of these other threads about it.

I'm not sure how you settled on Dallas for this move, but at least on post in this first thread indicates some of that area may also experience some of the oil boom.

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...g-midland.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...vmessage118011

Old 01-05-2014, 02:50 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Rosie, your husband should consider going to work over around Midland-Odessa, that is where the fracking boom is going on in Texas and salaries are really high. However, it is also hard to find a decent place to live because of all the people moving there for jobs. Read some of these other threads about it.

I'm not sure how you settled on Dallas for this move, but at least on post in this first thread indicates some of that area may also experience some of the oil boom.

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...g-midland.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...vmessage118011
....I was just about to suggest Midessa but there's the housing issue.....like someone might of said there's the Barnett Shale around North Texas but really the top 2 destinations for oil in Texas are the Permian and Eagle ford with the Basin being number one.....in fact the Permian is the second largest oil field on the entire planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas