Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Really? WGAFF about this crap?
the LGBT community......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 01:45 PM

433 posts, read 660,564 times
What issues? NOBODY HAS ISSUES WITH GAY PEOPLE. I'm starting to think the pc freaks WANT there to be drama so they can point their finger snd say how mean people are and that we need more laws now.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:32 PM

229 posts, read 304,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Not directed to me, but i'll answer.

In my city (which has a 100% approval rating) evidently my tax dollars are paying for a Mayor's liason, a Police Department liason & a Human Rights Commision. Dollars that could be used to build more parks or roads (or reduce my taxes so I could afford a better college for my kid) are evidently being spent on these (imo) affirmative action, unneccessary, politically motivated departments & people.

Every month when i make my mortgage payment, I'm paying for this. I thank the OP for bringing this topic up, because I wasn't aware that my city was even more wasteful than I thought it was. My definition of "throwing it in my face" (or rubbing my nose in it) is when my tax dollars are used to pay for something that is un-neccessary.

All bullying is bad. All humans should have "rights". All citizens deserve equal treatment by the police & the mayor. None of these people or departments are needed or should be funded (or should get extra attention or money).
Maybe it's because of the fact that your city has a Mayor's liason, a Police Department liason & a Human Rights Commision that they received a 100% rating. And I would be willing to bet that the amount of money spent on these things, that potentially make the lives of hundreds of thousands of folks in your city much better, is much, much less than the money that is spent on other programs that have less of an impact on people's lives. Yet you don't see folks complaining as much about those other things.
It is true that all citizens deserve equal treatment, and it is exactly for that reason why these people and departments are needed.
And lastly, if a city wants to stay relevant and compete for business with other cities, it needs to at least make an attempt to value diversity and ALL of it's citizens. Folks, such as myself, do not want to live in or relocate to cities where we are not valued. Businesses go where they can recruit talent. Maybe if you look at it in economic terms it will make more sense for you.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:36 PM

229 posts, read 304,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
What issues? NOBODY HAS ISSUES WITH GAY PEOPLE. I'm starting to think the pc freaks WANT there to be drama so they can point their finger snd say how mean people are and that we need more laws now.

And in what universe would you be living that you believe that statement? I am gay, and believe me, MANY, MANY folks have issues with gay people. And it is because of this that things like the equality ranking referenced in the original post are important to some folks such as myself.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:46 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
Maybe it's because of the fact that your city has a Mayor's liason, a Police Department liason & a Human Rights Commision that they received a 100% rating.

That's what I said. The difference is.....you're saying it's a good thing, & I'm saying it's a bad thing.

And I would be willing to bet that the amount of money spent on these things, that potentially make the lives of hundreds of thousands of folks in your city much better,

"hundreds of thousands" is pretty much a whopper. Anyway...I'm suggesting that it's not making a single person's life any "better". (& it's a waste of money)

is much, much less than the money that is spent on other programs that have less of an impact on people's lives. Yet you don't see folks complaining as much about those other things.

Name two. Actually don't bother. ALL programs that have little "impact" on "peoples lives" should be eliminated.

It is true that all citizens deserve equal treatment, and it is exactly for that reason why these people and departments are needed.

Laws exist that demand equal treatment. I suggest that we attempt to enforce those. (I suspect most communities already are.) Creating special liason positions or whole departments for a chosen few, actually creates an environment that fosters "unequal" treatment.

And lastly, if a city wants to stay relevant and compete for business with other cities, it needs to at least make an attempt to value diversity

Define "diversity", i've seen it used to promote 3 different agendas on this board. (i wonder whose definition of diversity we should use?) Once defined....who gets to decide how one "values" it?

and ALL of it's citizens. Folks, such as myself, do not want to live in or relocate to cities where we are not valued. Businesses go where they can recruit talent. Maybe if you look at it in economic terms it will make more sense for you.
Now I get it. It's a marketing tool. I swear I've gone thru the looking glass.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:35 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
In my city (which has a 100% approval rating) evidently my tax dollars are paying for a Mayor's liason, a Police Department liason & a Human Rights Commision. Dollars that could be used to build more parks or roads (or reduce my taxes so I could afford a better college for my kid) are evidently being spent on these (imo) affirmative action, unneccessary, politically motivated departments & people.
In most cities, these liaison roles and commissions are staffed by volunteers who work to improve the quality of life for all people. If a few pennies of your tax dollars go to support something you don't approve of, join the crowd. I'm personally not thrilled that considerably more of my tax dollars go to build unwanted bombers or line the pockets of well-connected cronies. But that's life in a democracy. Our recourse is at the ballot box. Go for it!

I think the survey is a fantastic tool for recognizing those cities that elect to enact policies to reduce discrimination and increase equality and to nudge other cities in that direction. The point of this thread is to discuss why some Texas cities do more than others. It is not to debate whether it is a good thing or not. You've made it clear you do not think so. So be it.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Obviously you have not been reading the thread.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:17 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
Quote:
duh, ya think ???

Old 01-08-2014, 10:09 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
... I want to believe that you're just joking.

So I will.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
This thread sure got derailed fast! The OP started a thread asking why Houston specifically came in so low in the rankings, while other cities like Fort Worth were significantly higher.

I believe the OP, who now lives in Philly, formerly lived in Houston for many years. Thus, he has experience of Houston and found the rating surprising. I lived in Austin for many years and do not - happily - find the perfect score for that city to be surprising.

I don't think this thread calls for grandstanding about political or social ideology. It's just asking a question about the low rating Houston got for LGBT equality, versus other major Texas cities. I couldn't begin to give an informed opinion, never having lived in Houston and generally having avoided that overgrown monstrosity like the plague. I know a gay couple who live there (one used to live in Austin back in the day), and I would think they would be surprised as well that Houston ranked so low. The place has a big gay community, but of course that doesn't mean that it is better socially situated that the gay and lebian communities in Austin or any other particular city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas