Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:41 AM

115 posts, read 145,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Biggest waste of money ever. Pouring it down a rat hole has a better ROI.
Don't be a hater.. Just because it's not opportunity for your state or another doesn't mean it's a waste. And if this works every other state in the union will want one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 03:03 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Really Interesting Article
High-speed rail gaining steam in Texas
Quote:
DALLAS — The number of Texas cities that could be served by high-speed rail is growing quickly, and now includes Bryan/College Station, an area best-known as the home of Texas A&M University that was bypassed by the interstate highway system.
High-speed rail advocates on Wednesday stepped up their efforts to bring bullet trains to Texas as early as 2021. A high-speed rail commission set up to oversee a proposed connection between Dallas and Fort Worth unanimously agreed Wednesday to seek federal funding to also study a Fort Worth-Austin connection.
Quote:
The Metroplex connection from Fort Worth to Dallas is expected to cost $2.5 billion to $4 billion, and likely would require federal funding, several officials said. But the commission is also getting serious about studying high-speed rail lines that would run the I-35 corridor, possibly connecting Oklahoma City to Austin, San Antonio and even Monterrey, Mexico.
Quote:
Houghton’s disclosure that College Station would be a lone stop on the route was the most detailed information provided by either company or government officials to-date. The line would terminate at Dallas’ Union Station near Reunion Tower, and also near Houston’s Galleria area, Houghton said.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:24 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Sounds like a nice idea, but Texas is basically a car-driven state. I just don't see it being as successful as like the Northern states. They've been talking about this for at least 5 years.

That's a great target for terrorists.
Yes, Texas is a very car-dependent state, but that's not something every Texan is exactly proud of or enjoys. A lot of Texans would like to see that change. It would be a huge benefit to the state's economy to connect all of the triangle cities by HSR. Hell, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a line that went clear out to El Paso. It may cost a lot of start-up money, but it would most likely pay for itself very quickly with the economic boost it would provide.

And terrorists? Really?

Old 08-27-2014, 03:42 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
It would terminate near the Galleria in Houston? Downtown or midtown seems to be a better choice.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I don't know that this makes much sense. You would have to commute to either downtown train location, commute to the other city and either do your business near the station of find other transportation. I'd love to see 10 billion spent on a train from cypress, tomball, sugarland, pearland/friendswood and the woodlands all to downtown houston with maybe transfer bus service or other rail to the galleria, greenway etc

Old 08-27-2014, 05:09 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't know that this makes much sense. You would have to commute to either downtown train location, commute to the other city and either do your business near the station of find other transportation. I'd love to see 10 billion spent on a train from cypress, tomball, sugarland, pearland/friendswood and the woodlands all to downtown houston with maybe transfer bus service or other rail to the galleria, greenway etc
Well one way they could design it would be to use the Northwest Transit Center as the central hub for high speed rail and commuter rail, and allow it to hook into the future Uptown line (if that ever gets built) to connect the light rail system and allow access east and south. There already seems to be momentum behind running future commuter lines along 290 and I-10 with Northwest TC as the terminus.

With that said, I don't see that as the ideal design either. I tend to agree that downtown would be better.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:01 PM

587 posts, read 961,278 times
The real purpose of this train is just marketing right? No one really expects it to make money or satisfy any real transportation demand. With that in mind, I would propose a different route that would maximize it's marketing value.

Start way down in South Texas, right on the beach in front of the high rise hotels. Make sure to plant plenty of coconut palms around the station, if (when) they freeze, replant as needed. Run the line right up South Padre Island right along the coast to Corpus Christi and going right over the bay to a station right next to the Lexington. From Corpus head on up to San Antonio to a station right by the Alamo. Then go from the Alamo to the state Capital in Austin. Make sure the station is well marked as Austin - HSR so that hipsters can take their selfies in front of it.

Now split the route into east and west.

The eastern route will turn to Houston making sure to pass by the Johnson Space Center on its way to downtown. After Houston make sure the train runs through some farm land, pine forest and swamp and then just end it somewhere, doesn't matter where.

The western roue will turn and go through the hill country by some highland lakes and into West Texas. Make sure to go by some ranches (maybe pay some "cowboys" to ride horses near the tracks) and windfarms to Midland. After Midland go through some oil fields making sure to pass by Guadalupe Peak on the way to El Paso. In El Paso run the train right along the border to downtown.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:12 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
If that line doesn't go all the way into Downtown Houston I would not support it. Also I would like to know why if this is a purely private for profit venture, then why do they need to drum up this support from the public to build it. I suspect they are hoping that the public will want this so much there will be calls for public money to make sure it happens, which of course they will accept without hesitation.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Sounds like a nice idea, but Texas is basically a car-driven state. I just don't see it being as successful as like the Northern states. They've been talking about this for at least 5 years.

That's a great target for terrorists.
I think terrorists have a better record with commercial jets than with trains.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
If that line doesn't go all the way into Downtown Houston I would not support it. Also I would like to know why if this is a purely private for profit venture, then why do they need to drum up this support from the public to build it. I suspect they are hoping that the public will want this so much there will be calls for public money to make sure it happens, which of course they will accept without hesitation.
Well, being the first high-speed rail in Texas I am sure there are many regulations that must pass in Austin for this to happen. If the public has your back then sure enough their representatives in Austin do as well. I mean think about it, they would probably need to use eminent domain to take over the land they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas