Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,281,478 times

Advertisements

We're checking out these areas. Anything positive and negative will be appreciated. More interested in what neighborhoods or areas to live and especially the areas to stay out of. Seems most of the real estate is affordable or I should say, in our price range.
We live in NM and want to come back to Texas but other than Marble Falls that I've done the tourist thing in, I don't know any more than that. The threads on these places explain some but I haven't been able to find out the good and bad.
Is there extra insurance required like flood or whatever since all these areas are around water?

Cell service in the areas? Recommendations please.

Internet services in the areas? Recommendations please.

Any comments welcome on anything about the areas.

As soon as we sell here, we're on our way back. Been gone for 6 years and even though I like it here, Texas has a lot that NM does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,673,661 times
What's your budget?
What kind of home are you looking for?
Do schools matter?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 PM

We are retired and on fixed incomes. Somewhere in the 125K and below range. Schools don't matter.

Something simple....like the idea of being in a small area close to a city.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 PM

These are a couple places we're looking at online.....

http://www.homes.com/property/133-sk...-500021048277/

http://www.homes.com/property/712-ra.../id-203271392/

Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,212,927 times
Moved to Marble Falls from Northern Nevada. We spent a year in the area and then moved to Leander/Cedar Park. Our issue was the schools with few options. That said, the area is heavily retired and I am sure there are lots of things to do. Most of the areas you mentioned have the good part of town and the not so good part of town. The property taxes in that general area are lower than what we are paying closer to Austin. Marble Falls has a new Scott and White clinic that has gone in and there is a new hospital set to open soon. Buccanan Dam seems pretty rural to me with more of a vacation area type feel but that could just be me.

As for the services, we were shocked at the limited availability and the high expense however we also learned that it really depended on the address. Do your research on every address. Don't take a realtors word for it, we did and we learned the hard way he didn't have a clue what was available at the actual property he showed us that we later leased. Thank goodness we had not yet purchased or we would have been stuck with dismal expensive internet, iffy cell and no land line phone service. Cable was not an option either.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 AM

That's interesting about the separate addresses and internet/phone service. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,787,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Is there extra insurance required like flood or whatever since all these areas are around water?.....

As soon as we sell here, we're on our way back. Been gone for 6 years and even though I like it here, Texas has a lot that NM does not.
If you buy in a designated floodplain--and you have a mortgage--your lender will most likely require some sort of flood insurance.

Yes, Texas does have a lot that NM doesn't--including steep property taxes, high homeowner's insurance and sky-high utilities. Even though I KNEW this coming back, the reality still stings after 6 years in NM.

I got my homeowner's insurance down (for Texas) because of 100% tile floors and a metal roof. It does make a difference. My premiums are only $20 more a month than they were in NM, and that's saying a lot.

Good luck! I'm glad to be home, but it has been really rough in spots.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,226,658 times
Wow, Song. I remember when you guys sold your place in Fredericksburg and didn't think you guys would ever leave NM. After you moved from Timberon to Capitan, I started researching that town. I'm so darn confused as to where to retire and am beginning to think I should just stay in Texas. By the time I retire, I think I'll be too old to even care anymore.

The houses on the links you posted look nice. I have considered the Hill Country as well and if I stay in Texas but move, it will probably be to the HC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas