Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 AM

25 posts, read 52,575 times

Advertisements

My family and I (2 kids and 2 adults) will be hopefully visiting Amarillo come March. I am looking for suggestions of places to stay that are clean, comfortable, and safe. We will be there for 5 days. The idea is to poke around and get a feel for the area.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 AM

163 posts, read 474,499 times
There are quite a few hotels north of I40 between Coulter and Soncy.

Just a few in the area include:
Courtyard Marriot
Drury
Holiday Inn Express
Holiday Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites
Homewood Suites (Hilton)

this area is also near a movie theater, the mall (Soncy, but south of the interstate), other shopping and lots of restaurants.

Soncy is the westernmost exit of Amarillo, the next exit is Bushland.

Palo Duro Canyon is lovely to visit and March would be a GREAT time to walk around.

Anything else that I (and others) can help with?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:48 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,151 times
Palo Duro is real nice.....

Old 01-18-2014, 06:20 PM

Thank you for the info Karenew. This will probably be the first of several trips out there. We are thinking of relocating to Amarillo and are trying to get a lay of the land before we make a decision. March will be Spring Break for the kids and will give the whole family a chance to visit. After that, it will probably be just me traveling out.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:38 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,066 times
Medic51, Here's a few things that are worth checking out in Amarillo. Wonderland Theme Park, Cadillac Ranch, Palo Duro Canyon, & Amarillo Museum Of Art.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 AM

We do have a zoo, botantical garden and Discovery Center. (I haven't been to any of them, but I have only heard good things about them all.) Although we don't have kids, it isn't uncommon to see kids playing outside. Don't know what age your children are, but there is a gym/facility called Kids Inc that organizes children's sports teams. (Located at 34th and Ross/Osage)

There is a lot of homes being built off Soncy .. between 45th and the loop 335/Hollywood. The neighborhood names are Hillside Terrace, Greenways, Colonies and the last neighborhood name escapes me. Greenways and Colonies are the priciest of the neighborhoods in Amarillo and both have HOAs. (Hoas are uncommon here for the most part.)

Old 01-19-2014, 12:36 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times
We travel from Florida once every few years to Texas. We are now skipping Dallas altogether and opting for a week in and around Amarillo and the Palo Duro Canyon. My kids and I enjoy the quiet and clean air (although when the wind blows, the smell of cattle ranches pervades the olfactory senses like axe spray in my sons bathroom)

BEST HOTEL Comfort Suites on Bell and I27 in South Amarillo. Free Full breakfast each Morning, hot breakfast , not just muffins and cold coffee. The staff is knowledgeable about anything or anyplace you would want to go. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Pointed us to some of the best eateries in town off the beaten path. And Amarillo has some Excellent places to eat. Yes, the Big Texan is very touristy, but the steak is still good.
That being said, Amarillo has many good hotels

Now someone please answer this. We were told that the Stockyard Cafe at the Cattle Auction house is closed? Is that true ? Please say it ain't so !!!! Home - Amarillo Livestock Auction
The man and his wife that ran this place were not only some of the nicest people we ever met but they seem to be about the best down to earth cooks as well. I could not imagine a trip to Amarillo without lunch there.
A few hours away is an untouched preserve near Quitaque Quitaque Chamber of Commerce that has a bison herd. Inside the town is a small diner, food ok but go ONLY for the atmosphere, not if you are in a hurry.

The small towns around Amarillo reflect a slower, more relaxed pace in life. Something that can be helpful and healthy at times. Some people would find it boring, but as a place to just enjoy a sunset, a simple way of life, and be surrounded by history, then plenty can be found.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:45 PM

Thank you again to everyone for the information. I really appreciate y'all taking the time to post a response. I will let everybody know what I find.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
On our last trip to Denver from Austin we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Amarillo, it was a decent place, walking distance to several 4-5 restaurants. Continental breakfast was included with the room.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Now someone please answer this. We were told that the Stockyard Cafe at the Cattle Auction house is closed? Is that true ? Please say it ain't so !!!!

I don't know if it is or not, but DH and I went there about 2 years ago and the food was AWFUL!! I had CFS and the grease hadn't been changed, the batter was burnt- I didn't eat more than a bite. That was our first (and last) time to ever eat there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas