Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:37 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Well firstly the federal highway fund is in the hole by 9 billion if i heard correctly so there's no federal interstates planned for now at least.
Turning them all into toll roads owned by private companies hasn't proved too popular, has it?

Quote:

Secondly it's not so much as what towns it will pass thru but from what point to the farthest point. When i travel I-54 from Carrizozo to Alamogordo alot that highway is inundated with Semi's like you wouldn't believe. Why??? because they are going from El Paso/Juarez to the the midwest of the United States to places like Oklahoma City, Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville and Chicago as examples so that highway is the connector to and from those regions.

Anyway NM DOT has stated that they will widen 54 from Tularosa to Santa Rosa to 4 lane divided Highway so that would help the feds. Rememeber U.S. 54 between El Paso and Alamogordo for 50 years was only 2 lane and now it's 4 lane divided (Thankyou NM Gov Gary Johnson) and looks like an Interstate.

6/3
(nods) Any new Interstate highway at this time would probably follow an existing route whenever possible, and entail as little (expensive) new construction as possible.

I was just thinking, maybe building this proposed Interstate 14 through Carlsbad, White City and Salt Flat would raise environmental concerns on account of passing by Guadalupe Mountains National Park, which, I've been told, is underdeveloped on purpose so its fragile ecosystem won't be threatened by too many visitors.

Last edited by atrabilius; 05-10-2008 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 PM

49 posts, read 135,522 times
Dallas needs to add and extend the interstate system in the metroplex.Here are my ideas of what should happen.I-16(west)dallas to fort stockton via san angelo.This corridor would be the current U.S.67.I-16 would start and end at I-35e in Dallas.2. I-716 would replace spur 408 and loop 12 in west dallas. The northern end would be at I-35e near Texas stadium.The southern end would be at the new I-16 or present U.S.67 south of Duncanville.3.I-816 should replace s.h.360 from current U.S.67 (future I-16 to s.h.114 (future I-32).4.I-616 would run from currentU.S.67 (future I-16)to I-45 at Ennis,tx.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:13 PM

The I-32 is a great idea but it should start in dallas where the current s.h.183 begins and ends at I-35e. The new I-32 would then follow s.h.114 from 183 all the way out to U.S.81/287 northwest of Ft.Worth and continue through Amarillo.The new I-32 would go up through dumas and turn west into New Mexico and end at I-25.(2)I-832 would replace 183 from texas stadium and would terminate at I-820 in North Richland Hills.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM

The I-45 corridor would be another one of my extensions north through Dallas and terminate in Omaha, Nebraska.(2) I-845 would replace the 190 george bush toll system up in Plano.(3)I-945 would replace s.h.121 from D/FW airport to current U.S.75 (future I-45) south of Mc Kinney.(4)I-745 would replace U.S.175 from downtown Dallas to Athens,Tx or Jacksonville, Tx.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Whoa, Quicksand. Time out. We're attempting to hatch too many chickens here. D/FW does not need to go interstate-crazy with every single freeway. I'll be honest: Much of that isn't going to happen, and there are many reasons. Secondly, this topic that I've intended in this thread is about one particular road connecting with I-44, and I would prefer to stick with that one road. As for your ideas, there's another thread.

Here's the link you need: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...southwest.html

Now, regarding your inquiries, Quicksand, D/FW should add two or three more to the current system. I'll explain more on that other thread. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:18 PM

195 posts, read 657,960 times
This is good thread, i'm going to bust out a map and start drawing in interstates now lol! The only thing that may suck about bringing in new interstates is that a lot of those little towns on the highways will die. Just a thought to consider.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Is there sufficient traffic to require four lanes even from El Paso to Alamogordo? I love Alamo, but it only has about 40K people.

I'd like to see the crumbling interstates we already have attended to before we build new ones. The I35W and I35E corrdiors through Ft Worth and Dallas (respectively) are definitely showing their age. But they do make nice parking lots.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:03 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Is there sufficient traffic to require four lanes even from El Paso to Alamogordo? I love Alamo, but it only has about 40K people.

I'd like to see the crumbling interstates we already have attended to before we build new ones. The I35W and I35E corrdiors through Ft Worth and Dallas (respectively) are definitely showing their age. But they do make nice parking lots.
As far as El Paso to Alamogordo, you'll need something for truck traffic. And while there is only one significant municipality between the state line and Alamogordo, EP's growth alone should be a catalyst.

And I do agree about fixing the existing roads. I-10 between El Paso and Sierra Blanca had been resurfaced years ago.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 PM

A new interstate corridor could from el.paso to points north and east. My first proposal would an I-23 that would go from El.Paso to Denver by way of the current u.s.54 and current u.s.285 by way of Monte Vista and Salida colorado.The other option is a new I-54 corridor that would from El.Paso to Peoria,Ill.I-54 could replace current u.s.54 all the to Illinois and cut a new path up to Peoria ending at the I-74/474 but very unlikely.The other option in peoria is continue it north of peoria to the I-80 replacing I-180 near hennepin.For years there has been rumors of an interstate corridor from Montgomery,Al to Texarkana,Tx,but i have an idea of what could be a major upgrade.The I-18 corridor would run from Brunswick,Ga to Mesa,Az.I-18 would start at the current u.s.60/I-10 interchange and would end at I-95 near or around Brunswick,Ga.U.S.60 would be replaced from I-10 to whre u.s.60 runs into I-25 in N.M.I-25 and I-18 would run together to the current u.s.380 san antonio exit and that is where I-18 would split off to the east.The new route would skirt the northern part of Roswell,N.M and then would go to lubbock from there.I-18 would follow the u.s.82 corridor from Lubbock to Brunswick,passing thru texarkana,tuscaloosa,montgomery,tifton,waycross and finally ending in brunswick.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,793 times
Orogrande is still a speed trap. NM continues to rake in fines with artificially low speed limits on 54!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas