Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,897 times

Advertisements

Me, 36yrs and my two kids (5 & 16) are trying to find a place to live. We currently live in Wyoming and have to move. We want a place that is warmer, has more rain, is between 40,000-70000 population and has housing for low income. We had considered Spring Texas and that area but have discovered that they do not really fit our low income. I am going to school and will continue it where ever we move but until I finish my income will be limited. I found Harlingen on a website as lower income, is texas warm and has a population I am looking for? I have read numerous posts from others on here, but alot are fairly old and concern older folks. Since we are from a rural area and am used to harsh winters and have lower income living, will Harlingen (or any other places in Texas near the ocean) fit us? We have to move before summer, I have been searching for places to move for months. Thanks to anyone who answers honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Be careful moving down to the RGV without a job. The unemployment rate there is over 10%, and it is always the highest in Texas. Yes, it is a popular place with "snowbirds" and retirees, which is why you see so many posts about them. If you need public housing, you will likely need to be on a waiting list that could take years.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
It is not only warmer, but to the other extreme. Most places in Texas will be very hot during the summer. Harlingen does have the advantage of being close to the coast being only about 40 miles away. Be prepared for harsh summers instead of winters. As for the job situation, yes it would be best to find employment before you move. You may want to consider McAllen instead of Harlingen. It is larger but with more amenities.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You may want to consider McAllen instead of Harlingen. It is larger but with more amenities.
If you're planning to attend a 4-year university for your continuing education, McAllen and adjacent Edinburgh would be a first choice, IMO. Pan American U. is a branch of Univ. of Texas located in Edinburgh. There is another branch in Brownsville, but the campus in Edinburgh is the main campus for the region. The entire region is considered "low income" and anywhere you live in the Rio Grande valley you'll be competing for jobs with those who live and work there already.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:35 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Be careful moving down to the RGV without a job. The unemployment rate there is over 10%, and it is always the highest in Texas. Yes, it is a popular place with "snowbirds" and retirees, which is why you see so many posts about them. If you need public housing, you will likely need to be on a waiting list that could take years.
This^^. Even for a "day labor" type job, you would be competing with many, many people. You didn't indicate whether or not you speak Spanish. Unless you are employed in one of the professions, it would be very difficult to compete with workers who are bilingual or even Spanish-speaking only.

Unfortunately, one of the reasons drug & human smuggling are rampant in the RGV is because people desperate for jobs sometimes turn to desperate measures.

I'll go a step further than ChristieP and flat out say do not come here without a good job lined up.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
If you're planning to attend a 4-year university for your continuing education, McAllen and adjacent Edinburgh would be a first choice, IMO. Pan American U. is a branch of Univ. of Texas located in Edinburgh. There is another branch in Brownsville, but the campus in Edinburgh is the main campus for the region.
FYI--the schools in Edinburg & Brownsville are being combined into UT-RGV.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Why do you want more rain? Are you a farmer?

Wyoming is a beautiful place. I can barely believe someone would want to move from there to the Valley. Looking for adventure with the gangs, illegal immigrant smugglers, etc? Why would you take your kids to a human trafficking center? Your income is low so you want to move to a poor terrible place because it might be possibly cheaper than Wyoming? Are you wanting your kids to grow up to be gangbangers, drug users, or worse? How is that going to get you out of poverty?

Please stay where you are!!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
FYI--the schools in Edinburg & Brownsville are being combined into UT-RGV.
I'm aware of that but they're going to have a hard time moving those campuses so that they are conjoined, don't you think?

I would hate having to attend classes at both campuses - wonder how many have to do that now anyway?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Are you wanting your kids to grow up to be gangbangers, drug users, or worse? How is that going to get you out of poverty?
That's a bit stereotypical don't you think? Not everyone here is a drug smuggler or a gangbanger. Don't listen to this rubbish. Sure we have crime related to drugs but what populated area doesn't? Yes,there is more crime here than in Wyoming for sure, but guess why... There's way more people, Duh! I would venture to say however that the cost of living here is lower than in Wyoming. In short, there are pros and cons to anywhere you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I'm aware of that but they're going to have a hard time moving those campuses so that they are conjoined, don't you think?

I would hate having to attend classes at both campuses - wonder how many have to do that now anyway?
They are not moving anything. They are simply becoming one entity instead of two separate ones as they are now.. In addition, they are adding a Medical School which will be located in Edinburg.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Watch out for high electric bills. The summers are extremely hot, weeks on end in the 100's, and the cost of electric/KWH is quite high. If you're looking for cheap housing, its probably not well insulated. Your electric bills could be $400--$600/month or more, just to stay liveable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas