Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 9,278 times

Advertisements

I just received a ticket for running a stop sign. I was aware that I ran it, but I drive down this road often, and it's a new stop sign. I have seen the stop sign before, but it's easy to forget that it's there. There is a lot of construction around the intersection (it's a T-intersection, kind of) and the stop sign is smaller than average and tall. When driving, difficult to stop, even with good brakes, because the road is going downhill and the stop sign is at the end of the hill, not only that, but there is a yield sign right in front of it (less than 10 feet) away from it.
I went back to see how many cars actually stop there, and out of the 5 cars I watched (along with the cars I see everyday), no one stops there- perhaps they have a hard time seeing it or have a hard time stopping there as well. I don't know if I should contest it, or just pay it and do defensive driving. It's between $203-$250 for the ticket. The thing is, I know there's a sign there, I don't deny that, but it's always been hard for me to stop there without going halfway into the intersection, and then I just keep rolling to stop at the yield sign since it's right there anyways.

Any advice would help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 11:17 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You could always pay the ticket and stop driving with your head up... oh excuse me, not allowed by TOS.

You are driving a car. You are supposed to be paying attention to everything around you and not driving like nothing is going to change from the way it was the last time you went through.

Maybe if it is always difficult for you to stop at the corner without rolling into the intersection, you could start to slow down sooner before you get there. If you run that stop sign and kill someone, it isn't going to get you off if you claim that you are incapable of stopping behind the line at that intersection.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 9,278 times
I was only going 30mph, maybe less
And that is the speed limit
Like I said, it's a difficult stop, and a little confusing with a yield sign within feet from it
And difficult to see
I'm not saying I should be let off because others run it, I'm just wondering if the sign is even up to code, or if there's a way to get out of it

Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Unless you are unemployed/retired with nothing better to do with your time, then take defensive driving and get on with your life. It just isn't worth the time, and you will likely lose anyway.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Is that your defense???

Yeah, just pay it and move on with your life. Lesson learned.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:35 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
you want to contest a ticket for running a stop sign when you admittedly ran it ? lolol this has got to be a joke. plus you want to see if that stop sign they put up is up to code? lolo, what a dumb post. you knew what you did. doesnt make sense to contest it... "oh, but its new, but, but, other people run it too" lol theyre giving tickets for a reason... bc people keep running it. doubt youre the only one that got singled out.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Oh, please. Please, please, PLEASE turn in your driver's license and stop driving!

You ran the stop sign, and your defense is that you KNOW you ran it, you KNOW it's there, but you just FORGET sometimes? And it's HARD to stop because of gravity? You don't need to be piloting a multi thousand pound vehicle on public roadways, ever, if that's really the case.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:39 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
Maybe it was the dark tinted windows..

Old 12-19-2013, 08:42 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Maybe it was the dark tinted windows..
Lol! Dulce and the OP should chat.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:45 PM

204 posts, read 940,378 times
You figure a person with the name "stopsigngirl" would be aware of stop signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: