Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 AM

794 posts, read 1,671,481 times

Advertisements

LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,110,313 times
Great post bro.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Link doesn't work.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,750,328 times
I'd like to see the OPS engineering creds.

The Russians and OPEC have been paying green groups and others to whip up opposition in the west to create a disinformation campaign about fracking. This is just more of the same. Its a hoot to find so-called green groups being turned into tools by the most polluted nations on the earth.

An Investigation Of The Global Anti-Fracking Movement - Forbes

Most recently the EPA was caught with its pants down falsifying tests by the USGS.

Keith Mauck: The EPA's Tainted Fracking Tests - WSJ.com

Fracking has been used since the 1940s and has been done on hundreds of thousands of wells with no problems. Texas has over 50,000 wells fracked since the 40s. Wells are extensively monitored for issues. This is not joe blow out with a jackhammer.

Barnett Shale Geological Area

The anti-fracking movement is run by the same kooks who push the anti-vaccination movement. These people need fear in their lives to operate. They find something most people do not understand, come up with a falsehood that about it, then push it. Salem Witch Trial time.

Anti-Vaccine Body Count

Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM

A lot of disinormation in the article.

Quote:
Among the leading concerns of opponents is the absence of any federal law requiring companies to fully identify the chemicals in their fracking fluids. Such formulas are considered by the industry to be a trade secret. Community-based anti-fracking campaigns — citing public health issues — call for complete disclosure of injection fluids.
Most states already require this.

Colo. compels disclosure of fracking chemicals

Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Hah. Another one. This one is full of Irony.

Quote:
The California community closest to adopting an anti-fracking ordinance is Culver City, which includes a portion of the 1,000-acre Inglewood Oil Field. More than 1 million people live within five miles of the field, where some 1,600 wells have been drilled since 1925.
All older wells in the US were fracked when production dropped. They brought in the pressure multipliers and injected into the well to lengthen the production. I will bet just about every well in Culver city was fracked in the 50s and 60s and 70s.

A good reporter would point out the irony of banning something that was already done thousands of times in the area with no ill effects.

These people are cargo cultists. In 20 years they will put bones in their noses and beat on drums.

Cargo cult - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 AM

276 posts, read 528,929 times
Conspiracy theorists on both sides of this argument really amuse me.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 AM

263 posts, read 411,245 times
I have been concerned about this since when I discovered there are fracking sites actually inside the Metroplex limits - in Flower Mound, Coppell etc. Most posters here do not seem concerned, which I initially found surprising.

I was in western PA the year before I moved here, and I remember there being a lot of buzz regarding fracking in the Marcellus Shale affecting water supply there, and if I remeber right, there was also a 5 page weekend special in the NY Times about it.

In issues affecting long term health - I believe in the 'first do no harm' principle. It is near impossible to prove, or disprove, the long term effects of pollutants / carcinogens on human health - and as they say in science - lack of evidence (of causation) is not evidence of lack. It will be many decades before anything definitive can be said either way about the long term effects of fracking.

From my point of view, something as critical as potentially contaminating a city's drinking water supply should have a very high bar before being approved and I think the NM county referenced here is doing right by its citizens in completely banning fracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post

Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,110,313 times
So when did you true believers turn in your cars keys and disconnect your home's HVAC systems?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:51 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,807,211 times
Discussed at length within the last year in these two previous threads:

- //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-dfw-area.html
- //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-fracking.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas