Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Fillin' station! Now there's an oldie but a goodie!

I am wondering how many still say "breakfast, dinner, and supper"? Lunch has almost replaced "dinner" as the term for the noonday meal!
Oh, the arguments I've had over b-d-s....LOL!!

USUALLY.......we say breakfast, lunch and supper.

IF the main heavy meal is the midday one, it's breakfast, dinner and supper.

IF the main heavy meal is in the evening, it's breakfast, lunch and dinner.

How's that for complicating things....? LOL!!!!

That has evolved, too.......when I was a kid growing up in the 50s, it was always breakfast, dinner and supper, regardless of which meal was the biggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 12:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That has evolved, too.......when I was a kid growing up in the 50s, it was always breakfast, dinner and supper, regardless of which meal was the biggest.

It sure has. It was the same way when I was a kid growing up in the 60's (b-d-s regardless).

Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 PM

690 posts, read 2,629,944 times
Quote:
Do what is southern slang according to the Urban Dictionary.
I hear this one a lot - it's my mother's favorite response when you tell her something that REALLY gets her. You have to say it with the proper emphasis:

"Do WHAT??"

Old 12-06-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
I hear this one a lot - it's my mother's favorite response when you tell her something that REALLY gets her. You have to say it with the proper emphasis:

"Do WHAT??"

OMG yes......my parents used that ALL the time when they were mad at us kids....LOL!!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Fillin' station! Now there's an oldie but a goodie!

I am wondering how many still say "breakfast, dinner, and supper"? Lunch has almost replaced "dinner" as the term for the noonday meal!
I say breakfast, lunch, supper. That's how we said it growing up but my grown daughter and my stepkids all say b-l-dinner. I've started not saying supper sometimes because I'm the only one saying it, no one hardly uses it anymore! I know plenty of older generation Texans who call lunch "dinner" even if it's just a sandwich. But the youngsters don't say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
OMG yes......my parents used that ALL the time when they were mad at us kids....LOL!!!!
"Do what?" I still hear it among the younger generation.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
"Do what?" I still hear it among the younger generation.
Yes, in place of "what" and "huh" I catch myself saying that at times, too.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:28 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Tump or Tumped is one of the "great classics" of Texas/Southern speech, fer shore!

But, here is one I got to thinkin' of: "Contrary"

As in "he's a good ol' boy, but at times he can be a contrary ol' cuss." (in fact, maybe "ol' cuss" is another one that is somewhat unique to "down here" LOL).

Since we are giving our own definitions, I'd say "contrary" translates as describing a person who is mildly -- yet persistently -- decidedly and intentionally disagreeable.

This is to be distinguished somewhat from "ornry"...which more describes someone who is mildly disagreeable by nature.

Oh hell...like most of this good ol' Southern idiom, it it defies precise definition. But we Texans know it when we see/hear/experience it!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:42 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Stubborn as a mule!
Meaner than a sidewinder!
I'm so hungry, I could eat a bear, hide and all!
It's rainin straight up and down!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:16 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times
Tacky isn't texasn is it?
Tacky= Cheesey
Yonder= over there, I think its more of a noun.

Go over yonder, and they'll shoot ya.
Over there, yonder, is where the yankees reside....

Those are some Tacky shoes...
Texas is like ulimate slang, because we have slang many influence, we have Midwestern Slang, Western Slang, City Slang, Red Neck and/or Country Slang, Black people slang, Southern Slang, Mexican and/or Spanish Slang, and Texas slang... and maybe even some Asian Slang...

I say supper and Dinner, Lunch as dinner, and breakfast as breakfast.

I use:
Ya'll
Say what?
My bad
huh?
I use alot i can't name all of it, but I was born here in Texas although when people see me, they think Either: *******, FOB, or California/ Hawaii.
I speak with a mix of a widwestern flat accent and a southern accent. My dad is from Michigan and made sure I didn't grow up speaking like goody except using 'Yonder' and other words, it inevitably happened but I can pass as a Midwesterner and a Texan.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:42 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Well, I forgot to add one of the more common sayings I grew up in, but in the process of doing so, I will also comment on the word well or as more often pronounced here in Texas as 'wail'. Ever notice how so many sentences begin with well, or rather wail, and then followed by, "I'll tell ya", or "let me tell ya". This is sprinkled all through the conversation. It goes like this, "Wail, how y'all been? Say, y'all seen ole Billy Joe lately? I swear, that boy was sposed to come by and fix my barn roof that's been leakin' for a spell now. Wail, I'll tell ya, these kids now days don't wanna do a lick of work! Huh, play on them darn computers all day long. Wail, it's been purt near three weeks now since he said he'd be right over, and I ain't seen him yet! I'll swear, that boy's worthless as **** on a boar hog! Wail, you see him, tell him I'm lookin' for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: