Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:21 AM

9 posts, read 85,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
Hmm...maybe there's some southern influence in the NW? Or lots of folk listening to country music? We don't use yonder, but I know what it means.

Tacky usually means tasteless or lacking in class/style here though. Thanks for the definition! Hmmm....I guess that's actually kinda similar when you think about it...

I am from Texas here too, Tacky as I have always known it means lack of class...in whatever situation..clothes, hair, attitude....anything that is not up to par!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This is a new one to me. Quoting myself! LOL

Anyway, I feel like it is our Texas obligation, when sharing hard to translate words/slang/terms that we should at LEAST (for our yankee friends and/or new neighbors) provide the translation.

Acting up: Throwing a fit

Hmmm. Or does "throwing a fit" need a translation too?
I have recently been to South Carolina and the African American people there hollar all day long..."dem kid been showin ou" LMAO...(This I found out means that they are brats) and I thought Texas was bad with slang....we have nothing compared to that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 11:03 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Well, I forgot to add one of the more common sayings I grew up in, but in the process of doing so, I will also comment on the word well or as more often pronounced here in Texas as 'wail'. Ever notice how so many sentences begin with well, or rather wail, and then followed by, "I'll tell ya", or "let me tell ya". This is sprinkled all through the conversation. It goes like this, "Wail, how y'all been? Say, y'all seen ole Billy Joe lately? I swear, that boy was sposed to come by and fix my barn roof that's been leakin' for a spell now. Wail, I'll tell ya, these kids now days don't wanna do a lick of work! Huh, play on them darn computers all day long. Wail, it's been purt near three weeks now since he said he'd be right over, and I ain't seen him yet! I'll swear, that boy's worthless as **** on a boar hog! Wail, you see him, tell him I'm lookin' for him.
HAHAHA Great one, Lonestar!

On the topic of prefacing a statement though, here is another one to consider. Since we down here love to pass on old stories to others, ever notice that a good tale often starts with "I 'ner will fergit 'tat time that me and ol'...."

Old 12-09-2007, 10:57 AM

How about "plumb", y'all?

As in: "I plumb fergot it was our anniversary..."

Ok, ok, ladies, THAT example was intentional! *ducks the slaps here*

Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
TexasReb, yer ornry!! How about "whenever"? Used instead of the word "when", as in "Whenever I'm ready to go, I'll let y'all know", "Whenever we had that party awhile back, the cops came and busted it up."

One of my favorites: "We're living in high cotton now!" or just "high cotton". Or as my hubby says, "sh*****' in high cotton" lol!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
TexasReb, yer ornry!! How about "whenever"? Used instead of the word "when", as in "Whenever I'm ready to go, I'll let y'all know", "Whenever we had that party awhile back, the cops came and busted it up."

One of my favorites: "We're living in high cotton now!" or just "high cotton". Or as my hubby says, "sh*****' in high cotton" lol!
LOL Forgive me, BlueSkies, I couldn't resist that example!

Yeah, "high cotton" as a term for prosperity, or just all around good fortune is another good one.

It reminded me also of another term though that I used to hear quite a bit growing up, which was the adjective "cotton-pickin." It was usually used in an exasperated way. Such as "keep yore cotton-pickin' hands off of that cake until after supper!"

Old 12-10-2007, 01:00 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
How about "plumb", y'all?

As in: "I plumb fergot it was our anniversary..."

Ok, ok, ladies, THAT example was intentional! *ducks the slaps here*

plumb near

"I plumb near fergot it was our anniversary..."

You would have been better off, too!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:52 PM

690 posts, read 2,629,391 times
I'm rather fond of "I tell you what!"

For example:

"I tell you what, if my boss doesn't give me a raise this year, I'm gone!"

Old 12-14-2007, 08:52 PM

Has anybody mentioned "and them" yet? As in "Tell yer momma and them hi next time you see her." Or, "How's Bob and them doin' these days?"

Translation to our northern friends?

Personally, I'd say "and them" in the context and Southern vernacular, is a subjective term which, by extension, usually refers to:

1. The close family of the person to whom the request is made
2. The common friends/associates shared by the parties involved.

Ok, whatchall think?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I almost forgot about that one. People in Brazoria used that one alot when I was growing up.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:18 PM

240 posts, read 470,584 times
Quote:
I was just thinking, y'all.

Are there any Texas terms/words that you have found very hard to translate to an outsider? Generally speaking, when I say "outsider" I mean someone not from the South...since Texas talk is just the western extention of Southern American English.

But anyway, here are the two that come to mind for me:

"Yonder" and "Tacky."

By way of example, when I say "out yonder" to a yankee, I might as well be talking Greek. So far as "tacky" goes, men don't generally use that word. But our mommas and grandmaws and female kin do, so we have known since childhood what it means.

OK...my own definition:

Yonder: The indefinable distance between yourself and the object or location in question. It can range from ten yards to ten miles.

Tacky: Behaving or acting or speaking in a way that goes against your raising.

Y'all?
Hey texasreb,
I have heard both phrases (yonder and tacky) as a kid, also the phrase acting up. I was born and raised in the Boston area and it was said around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: