Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Besides what it left out, and some of the BS they covered, like the "Disaster city" crap, as if that is a big part of the history of Texas or of any special interest what so ever. I can not believe that the Smithsonian Institute, a part of the U.S. Government, would not take the Warren Commission Report, as the "fact" of what happened "that day". Instead they play into conspiracy theorist by saying "we may never know what happened that day". I smell CBS, and Showtime, not wanting to close any doors on future productions pandering to those conspiracy theory's. Oh we want to keep those documentaries coming, and that's fine coming from CBS and Showtime , but not the Smithsonian, and it is their name that adds credibility to this "treatment" of Texas.
I was also a little surprised that they mentioned a possible conspiracy. Like you said, you might expect that from one of the networks but not the Smithsonian.

Overall, I thought the video was pretty good. I think they emphasized the "Texas pride" thing a little too much but it's no big deal...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 02:00 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Smithsonian did a pretty good job covering Austin, San Antonio and the Trans-Pecos areas.

The rest... How do you have a segment on Houston without mentioning the TMC or Astrodome? Too much focus on JFK for the Dallas portion. No Fort Worth!?!?!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 PM

156 posts, read 244,858 times
I watched the whole thing, and thought it was decent minus a few useless segments. Unfortunately, I didn't see a segment on what I was looking forward to the most: Fort Worth. How on earth do you make a documentary on Texas, feature over a dozen cities, and ignore Texas' 5th largest city?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
I watched the whole thing, and thought it was decent minus a few useless segments. Unfortunately, I didn't see a segment on what I was looking forward to the most: Fort Worth. How on earth do you make a documentary on Texas, feature over a dozen cities, and ignore Texas' 5th largest city?
I guess, they didn't find it as important as you find it to be....

Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Considering the treatment they gave to Galveston it may have been better to have been ignored

Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Smithsonian did a pretty good job covering Austin, San Antonio and the Trans-Pecos areas.

The rest... How do you have a segment on Houston without mentioning the TMC or Astrodome? Too much focus on JFK for the Dallas portion. No Fort Worth!?!?!
Overall, I thought it was great. I agree that it was strange the FW was not even mentioned.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Overall, I thought it was great. I agree that it was strange the FW was not even mentioned.
Anybody who thinks this is a balanced view of Texas doesn't know Texas, or is biased and doesn't care. I don't know why the Smithsonian decided to grid this ax but I suspect the networks they are partnered with had a lot to do with it.

The omission of Fort Worth alone destroys the credibility of this production, and the hatchet job they did on Galveston, along with their encouragement of conspiracy theories, and subtle negative associations, puts this into the category of propaganda.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:41 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
I enjoy Aerial America but mainly because they showcase other states and parts of the state I had known nothing or little about. I was finally excited to see Texas on here and while I did enjoy the coverage on Texas I was also disappointed in the amount they catered to West/South Texas. I'm aware that part of the state has the most scenic views from above. But damn could we get any kind of mention of East Texas? A little bit more of Houston and Dallas outside of JFK? It's like they wanted to stick to the stereotypical images of Texas more then the accurate portrayal of the state.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
I totally agree - just watched it and though it was interesting, it had gaping holes in it. What was crazy is that it had a big section on Kilgore...but no mention whatsoever of Fort Worth! And other than Kilgore, there was no mention at all that I recall of beautiful East Texas - which is about a third of the state, and very highly populated per mile - much more so than western or southern Texas.

I also think that it repeated the "Texas pride" thing ad nauseum.

Yep - well done but clearly meant to perpetrate stereotypes rather than shed new light.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I totally agree - just watched it and though it was interesting, it had gaping holes in it. What was crazy is that it had a big section on Kilgore...but no mention whatsoever of Fort Worth! And other than Kilgore, there was no mention at all that I recall of beautiful East Texas - which is about a third of the state, and very highly populated per mile - much more so than western or southern Texas.

I also think that it repeated the "Texas pride" thing ad nauseum.

Yep - well done but clearly meant to perpetrate stereotypes rather than shed new light.
I tend to agree with this....

What I found especially stupid was that they wasted time on that idiotic "Prada" building on the side of US 90 between Marfa and Alpine--everytime I see that dumb waste of space POS, I wish someone would just demolish it!

And to have only an hour documentary--with crap like that in it.

I don't get the Smithsonian channel--someone sent me the YouTube link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas