Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
If you are used to living in a city of about 200,000, then you won't find it boring. Many folks that find it boring are comparing it to larger cities....

Traffic is not bad at all. I have not regularly driven rush hour there in a few years, but traffic there is not as bad as traffic in Amarillo where I currently live. I will say that folks tend to drive a bit faster in Lubbock than here though.....
Just my $0.02 worth, but hope you find a place to call home!
As a Tech-ex, I wanted to stay in Lubbock after graduation, but that rarely happens.

At that time (1974), Lubbock was so well laid-out, with square streets/blocks, that driving was really a snap for a place of that size. I'm sure that's probably still true today. Even with the increase in population from that time, traffic/driving is still not much of an issue because of how the city is laid out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 PM

47 posts, read 70,679 times
Ok, well, it's looking like I have narrowed my search to just a few cities now

Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
As a Tech-ex, I wanted to stay in Lubbock after graduation, but that rarely happens.

At that time (1974), Lubbock was so well laid-out, with square streets/blocks, that driving was really a snap for a place of that size. I'm sure that's probably still true today. Even with the increase in population from that time, traffic/driving is still not much of an issue because of how the city is laid out.
It certainly is not much of an issue at all. The new freeway runs from the east side of town to the southwest side, and makes a quick trip across town. Makes an already easy drive around town even better.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:58 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
San Antonio has a lower crime rate than Houston and Dallas. Higher than Austin but of course it's larger. I've lived in SA most of my life but outside Houston and Austin as well. My preference is SA out of those. Have not lived in the Dallas area but was always interested in doing so. Dallas metro is a lot of different towns so you'd need specifics to get the real picture. Traffic in SA is much easier to deal with than all 3 of the other cities despite Austin being smaller.

I like SA but it is very family oriented. We are really focusing on growing our medical centers. There is already one big area but where I live on the far north central side is turning into another medical center and on the far northwest/west side yet another medical area is growing. In my area we have also just added another assisted living center to the several we already had and a high dollar transitional center. I don't know how exciting SA is but there are a lot of interesting things to do. Fiesta, the missions, the Riverwalk, Seaworld, Fiesta Tx, plus lakes and rivers within an hour. It is dry right now and not everyone likes the culture but I'm surprised to hear you've heard bad things about it.

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 02-20-2014 at 08:44 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
Huntsville Texas-- 50,000 eligible bachelors in long term housing. They don't get to date often so they really appreciate anyone who looks better than their cell-mate. They certainly won't go out on the town with any other woman and you know exactly where they are at all times.

LOL OK Rockport is one of few places that has slightly more non incarcerated males than females. They come here for boating -fishing and construction -mostly guy things.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 PM

47 posts, read 70,679 times
Well, I grew up in Idaho for the most part, and love to do 'guy' things. Yeah, call me a tomboy or what have you, but I love working on cars, fishing, camping, etc. Growing up here in Idaho, I've gotten to do alot of things most women would never even consider doing lol.
Texas has always been my heart's desire to live in. I don't know why, maybe it could be that TX will be the last stand if the current government administration tries to do what so many of us believe they're gonna do. Take our guns....Yes, I have guns.

I am honestly looking into SA, Lubbock, or Ft. Worth. Gotta narrow it down further by work availability. Out here in Boise, there isn't much for LPN's anymore.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 PM

370 posts, read 612,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikbait View Post
Well, I grew up in Idaho for the most part, and love to do 'guy' things. Yeah, call me a tomboy or what have you, but I love working on cars, fishing, camping, etc. Growing up here in Idaho, I've gotten to do alot of things most women would never even consider doing lol.
Texas has always been my heart's desire to live in. I don't know why, maybe it could be that TX will be the last stand if the current government administration tries to do what so many of us believe they're gonna do. Take our guns....Yes, I have guns.

I am honestly looking into SA, Lubbock, or Ft. Worth. Gotta narrow it down further by work availability. Out here in Boise, there isn't much for LPN's anymore.
Have you checked Fredricksburg, TX? a little on the smaller side town wise, but great quality of outdoors.

I'm not sure about the demands for LPN's in Houston, But If you're coming to Texas, consider Houston as well. You would do well in the Atascocita/Lake Houston area. An apartment in the area would run you $700 - 800 (newer build) check it out. You should look in the Humble/Kingwood area for work.

Also check Katy, Texas. A lot of outdoorsy type people live in the actual city. It's a nice little place. Good Luck

Old 02-21-2014, 03:31 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
Have you checked Fredricksburg, TX? a little on the smaller side town wise, but great quality of outdoors.

I'm not sure about the demands for LPN's in Houston, But If you're coming to Texas, consider Houston as well. You would do well in the Atascocita/Lake Houston area. An apartment in the area would run you $700 - 800 (newer build) check it out. You should look in the Humble/Kingwood area for work.

Also check Katy, Texas. A lot of outdoorsy type people live in the actual city. It's a nice little place. Good Luck
The good thing about Houston is that's its close to coastal fishing.However, idk if the OP would be into that kind of fishing

Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikbait View Post
I'm considering a move to TX. Currently, I live in ID. I am 36 years old. divorced with no kids. I have 2 dogs that will be coming with me. I am a LPN, have almost 6 years experience working in nursing homes, doctor's office, and home health.
I have several questions.
I have heard Austin is not so great. that its a college town and very expensive.

What are the best cities/towns for COL, safety, livability, employment as a LPN, and access to outdoors stuff such as fishing, hiking, bike-riding, and are NOT liberal in terms of politics?

I have several friends who say that the DFW area with its outerlying cities, and possibly Austin?

Considerations for me: I have only ever lived in a town bigger than Boise (200,000) when I was in Albuquerque, NM last year. I need to know the area I am moving to is considered safe, needs to have decent employment, access to outdoors. I am not really a very 'nightlife' type person, so that kind of stuff doesn't really appeal to me. Being able to go outside and walk my dogs without fear, go for a hike, or fishing is my love. I am currently not attached and have been divorced for 2 years. I would like to have a good area for church.

I have heard Austin is a party town and is very liberal and very expensive??

What about DFW and outerlying cities?
Being from the Midwest you would fit in best in D/FW as there are literally hundreds of thousands of Midwest transplants there. As a whole, its a very conservative, church oriented metro compared to others its size. Austin is too liberal & expensive IMO.

Look at Cedar Hill if you're into the outdoors. Its near several lakes, hills, & parks.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:58 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Being from the Midwest you would fit in best in D/FW as there are literally hundreds of thousands of Midwest transplants there. As a whole, its a very conservative, church oriented metro compared to others its size. Austin is too liberal & expensive IMO.

Look at Cedar Hill if you're into the outdoors. Its near several lakes, hills, & parks.
She is from Idaho (Id), since when is that the "Midwest" but even if she was from "Iowa" or "Indiana", why wouldn't Houston be a good fit for her? Why wouldn't you think that Houston is the better city for anybody Matt? I thought you were a Houston all the way kind of guy There are a lot of mid-westerner's here too.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 02-21-2014 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas