Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Denton, Texas, February 18- The Denton Drilling Awareness Group (Denton DAG) today announced they are collecting signatures for a ballot initiative to ban hydraulic fracturing within city limits. If approved by voters, Denton would become the first major Texas city to ban fracking, and the first city in the country to ban fracking after permits had been previously granted.
“I’ve been working with Denton residents since 2009 trying to get the city to pass regulations that would allow drilling and still protect community health,” said Earthworks’ Texas Organizer Sharon Wilson. She continued, “Enough is enough. When this ban passes, the fracking industry will have its own bad behavior, and city’s stonewalling, to blame.”
Citizens of Denton, Texas Call For Fracking Ban | Frack Free Denton
Instead of creating jobs and improving US national security, some would seem to prefer more reliance on imported petro from the MidEast while sending more dollars abroad.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Perhaps because Denton doesnt want to become like Azle with weekly earthquakes?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,894 times
Quote:
Not everyone in Texas kowtows to the natural gas industry. Texas may have the reputation of being a state where the industry always gets what it wants, especially at the legislative and regulatory levels. But at the grassroots, where activist Sharon Wilson is fighting to raise awareness about the dangers of natural gas drilling, more and more Texans are getting to know the ugly truth about the industry.

Wilson, organizer for Earthworks’ Texas Oil & Gas Accountability Project, believes the best opportunities for making a difference are found at the local level. She gives talks to community groups, big and small, in gas producing regions up and down the state.

- See more at: EARTHWORKS | Shale Gas Watchdog: Sharon Wilson Fills Void Left by Industry Lapdogs
Maybe because they aren't independently wealthy like Sharon Wilson who is more interested in trees than
employment opportunities for people to support themselves and their families ?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Maybe because they aren't independently wealthy like Sharon Wilson who is more interested in trees than
employment opportunities for people to support themselves and their families ?
Maybe but at what price.. will are children really thank us if they inherit a waste lands.. If the damage is real is it worth it.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Left-Wing Radical Group trying to ban Fracking in Denton

Instead of creating jobs and improving US national security, some would seem to prefer more reliance on imported petro from the MidEast while sending more dollars abroad.
You have pretty much destroyed your credibility from the get go when you frame this discussion as a left versus right and national security & jobs versus health and safety. That pretty much says your world view is very myopic and one sided.

It seems clear to me that there are legitimate issues on both sides of this and I personally do not believe that any fracking or oil drilling should be allowed inside the city limits of any community. There are plenty of places in Texas where fracking can take place outside of townships and cities. We are not hurting that badly for oil or gas that we need to be taking unnecessary risks to get to it.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You have pretty much destroyed your credibility from the get go when you frame this discussion as a left versus right and national security & jobs versus health and safety. That pretty much says your world view is very myopic and one sided.

It seems clear to me that there are legitimate issues on both sides of this and I personally do not believe that any fracking or oil drilling should be allowed inside the city limits of any community. There are plenty of places in Texas where fracking can take place outside of townships and cities. We are not hurting that badly for oil or gas that we need to be taking unnecessary risks to get to it.
If this were the case cities like Beaumont & Kilgore would never have existed. Without those cities Texas wouldn't be the prosperous state it is today.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:31 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

hear hear!

and what about the jobs that can be created in clean energy industries?

Old 02-19-2014, 11:44 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
If this were the case cities like Beaumont & Kilgore would never have existed.
Oh wow that would be a real shame wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Without those cities Texas wouldn't be the prosperous state it is today.
I think Texas would have survived just fine with the residential and industrial areas separated.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
I would prefer solving the mystery of the Azle quakes before expanding fracking. I would absolutely be for the ban if I lived in Denton.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Interesting approach. Again, frac'ing inside a city limit seems like a bad idea, but it depends on more specific information (nearest house, etc). And you can't stop them from going horizontal. And I think most courts would, at a minimum, prevent existing operations from being removed.

Also, I am pretty sure that the city would be liable for the loss of economic potential to the affect mineral rights holders. That right there might make it prohibitively expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas