Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
You post pics of something just to say "This is pretty. Do you agree?".

Some don't agree. Some might find your post kind of pointless and their reaction is smart-a** comments. No surprise there.
You're right. I shouldn't be surprised by the poor attitudes of people on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,092,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Your point? Maybe you didn't notice, but the topic of this thread is concerning NATURAL beauty. Man-made beauty is a different subject.
A neighborhood is a man-made thing. These pics are of neighborhoods. What are you after here?

Last edited by AguaDulce; 02-26-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Hey you started the argument by posting this jerk comment. Don't rain on us when you post scenes of wreckage rather than anything anyone besides yourself would call natural beauty. Besides, if you want to live in a place that looks like Georgia, there's a whole state called 'Georgia' you can live in that's not much different from Texas.
So, what you're saying is that the Hill Country is this sacred ground that every Texan must praise, otherwise they're being a jerk. East Texas is part of this state, too, but perhaps I was insane for even suggesting the idea that trees could actually be beautiful.

I had no problem with people initially disagreeing with me. I had an issue with statements like this.
Quote:
I think what you meant to say was that the hill country puts those photos to shame.
Disagreeing with my opinion is one thing, but telling me I'm mistaken is something else.

I'm done entertaining this foolishness, though. Keep all that negativity on your side.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
A neighborhood is a man-made thing. These pics are of neighborhoods. What are you after here?
Neither the hills nor the trees were man-made. Thanks for playing.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,266 times
It's not natural beauty. When those neighborhoods were built, they clearcut, and now after many decades the trees have grown back.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
It's not natural beauty. When those neighborhoods were built, they clearcut, and now after many decades the trees have grown back.
You must not be familiar with this part of the country. The pine backdrop that you see on most of those streets was clearly untouched, and a lot of it looks like it may be old-growth forest. Planted pines don't look like that. I'm also seeing underbrush that was left intact.

That's part of the reason I feel it's one of the more naturally pleasing neighborhoods in the state. In this state, it's somewhat rare to see that much untouched forestation in such a developed neighborhood.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:50 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,400,208 times
Quote:
So, what you're saying is that the Hill Country is this sacred ground that every Texan must praise, otherwise they're being a jerk
No, I'm saying that you could have easily just said 'here's some neighborhoods I like' without denigrating any other areas. Since you couldn't do that, don't get all pissy when we do the same to your area. And those are neighborhoods, not natural areas. IMO, if you like the natural look of an area, you leave it natural, not dump some cheap real estate into the middle of it.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
No, I'm saying that you could have easily just said 'here's some neighborhoods I like' without denigrating any other areas. Since you couldn't do that, don't get all pissy when we do the same to your area. And those are neighborhoods, not natural areas. IMO, if you like the natural look of an area, you leave it natural, not dump some cheap real estate into the middle of it.
The Hill Country remark was a playful jab. Not my problem you didn't see that.

I'll stand by it, though. "My" area clearly has the hilliness of the HC, but it also has the greenery it doesn't. Not even close.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,013,418 times
OMG! I can't believe the backlash the OP has received. This is crazy...what's wrong with you people? She/he did NOT say this is the standard that everyone must agree with. Holy cripes, people.

First of all, when I talk to people outside of the state, not familiar AT ALL with Texas, they tend to have ONE (or maybe TWO) ideas of what Texas is like. It's either just like "Dallas" (the TV show, Southfork and all that) OR it's a desert wasteland where everyone rides horses. Very rarely do folks think Texas gets cold and very rarely do they think it has lush green trees and rolling hills. They think canyons, desert, hot, dusty and dry. This has been MY experience.

So to show some shots from Nacogdoches is a welcome treat. Not everyone knows how lush it is. You can argue all you want about those silly houses and/or buildings in the shot, but she was talking about this being one of her favorite neighborhoods...where presumably you'll have houses. I totally understood that she wasn't putting down the Hill Country or other gorgeous areas of Texas, but simply stating this is what she liked.

The point? There was but one: to share with you her idea of beauty. I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed those pics. I also enjoyed Ronnie's pics of the Dallas area. If you all have other pics to share, now would be the time. Why in the world would you start an argument over this? It's crazy talk.

Personally, as I have been enjoying many back road drives, I like learning about new places. I've been to Nac but not for some years. If there were other lush areas, I'd like to see them. It invigorates my love my Texas...as so many people just stereotype us and our landscape and have no real idea of how pretty it can be.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:00 PM

213 posts, read 388,234 times
Tyler, TX - Azalea District

Dallas, Lakewood, White Rock Lake, Bluffview, Highland Park, Turtle Creek

Houston, River Oaks, Museum District, Rivercrest, Memorial Villages

Austin - Rollingwood, Pemberton Heights

San Antonio - Alamo Heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas