Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I'm not sure how Houstonians fail to notice this-- The Woodlands is the only suburb that isn't decaying. Every single other one is either brand new or a few decades old and becoming run down. Go drive around Katy. Strip malls, junky yards, shady businesses...

In Tomball they have gangangers shooting people at the movie theatre.
Moderator cut: ..

im not even sure the Woodlands is the fastest growing suburb in Houston.. i think Cinco Ranch is building more homes as of late. im sure people are moving in droves to these "decaying" areas because they are so crappy.. do we have zoning? no, so yes.. there will be an odd assortment of retailers/businesses unless those areas take it upon themselves to sanction developments a certain way or something. so if not having zoning means things are decaying, then i guess youre right.. but if thats the case, things have been "decaying" since the mid 1800s, and id say Houston is doing just fine.

btw what "shady businesses" are you talking about in Katy? lol..

so one person supposably got shot at a movie theater (in TOMBALL).. (btw, i tried googling it and couldnt find a thing other than some guy getting run over by a truck at a Tomball movie theater) shootings happen across the country every day. dont act like its something unique to Houston, or any other area for that matter (except maybe Detroit or Chicago, lol).

Last edited by Debsi; 03-24-2014 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
No, The Woodlands looks better than Kingwood. TW has some rolling terrain, especially the southern area off of Flintridge.
I like Atascocita myself. Better looking than Humble or Kingwood & its right on Lake Houston to boot.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how Houstonians fail to notice this-- The Woodlands is the only suburb that isn't decaying. Every single other one is either brand new or a few decades old and becoming run down. Go drive around Katy. Strip malls, junky yards, shady businesses....
Not only are new suburbs being built in the Houston Metro but older neighborhoods are gentrifying as well. You try to paint the Metro as somehow decaying when the truth is the opposite. Houston is prospering in-spite of your wishes.

Quote:
In Tomball they have gangangers shooting people at the movie theatre.
It's hard to believe that you get away with making hyperbolic statements like this. It is strange that you are keeping up with events in Houston from your location in Hawaii but I guess your bitterness is everlasting. Life is short Winko its time for you to move on

Last edited by Jack Lance; 03-24-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 06:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
LOLOL.. thanks for the laughs.

Jack already responded to the first ridiculous statement..

flight from Houston? you do realize Houston is one of the fastest growing major cities in the country, right? so much for "flight from Houston"..

Rockport? HA, i had to google it...
Rockport is a "suburb" of Corpus Christi isn't it ?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I like Atascocita myself. Better looking than Humble or Kingwood & its right on Lake Houston to boot.
First time I've ever heard someone say Atascocita looks better than Kingwood. The latter definitely has more trees.

Personally, I think Kingwood is beautiful, and parts of it even look better than TW, in my opinion.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Not only are new suburbs being built in the Houston Metro but older neighborhoods are gentrifying as well. You try to paint the Metro as somehow decaying when the truth is the opposite. Houston is prospering in spite of your wishes.

It's hard to believe that you get away with making hyperbolic statements like this. It is strange that you are keeping up with events in Houston from your location in Hawaii but I guess your bitterness is everlasting. Life is short Winko it's time for you to move on.
^This.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Texas' coastline is mostly a mess. I would love to see it rise. Why it isn't as lined with quality developments ala Florida or San Diego is beyond me.

Unfortunately, the last time I was in Corpus, it looked like it had gone downhill even more from when I vacationed there as a kid. Galveston is ok IMO, but seems like the only place on the coast that is even trying.
So true.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:18 PM

420 posts, read 706,075 times
This love fest with The Woodlands is getting a little extreme. Yes, it's one of the current "it" new suburbs in Texas. It's not nearly as unique as the usual Houston posters want to make it out to be. It's really no different than what Katy, Sugar Land, Plano, Irving, Richardson, and others have all been in the past. In 10 years from now people will be talking about a completely different list of towns all located just a little bit further outside of Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Austin.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
It's not nearly as unique as the usual Houston posters want to make it out to be. It's really no different than what Katy, Sugar Land, Plano, Irving, Richardson, and others have all been in the past.
I disagree... it is different and unique in that it was built within a dense forest. It also has a huge performance center that attracts larger musical shows than even Houston.

And I say this as someone who lives in a suburb which competes with it, so I am hardly any kind of Woodlands booster. But I can give credit where it's due.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM

420 posts, read 706,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I disagree... it is different and unique in that it was built within a dense forest. It also has a huge performance center that attracts larger musical shows than even Houston.

And I say this as someone who lives in a suburb which competes with it, so I am hardly any kind of Woodlands booster. But I can give credit where it's due.

The Woodlands natural surroundings is the only thing that makes it unique in my eyes. Once you get past that, it's the same chain restaurants, stores, hotels, businesses, architecture as anywhere else. And it will eventually age like everywhere else. And then suburbanites will be building even newer Bed Bath and Beyonds and Chili's and Indoor Shopping Malls and new urban town centers in the next town over and that town will be on the next "cities on the rise" list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas