Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

We'd have to have rain to get tornados...not a whole lot of that around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:26 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Prolonged cold this winter has caused a cooling of water in the Gulf of Mexico and last time the storm season got off to a slow start was in 2002.
Last year got off to a slow start with tornadoes too, although there was a big one in Georgia in January. February, March and April were very quiet, but May was a disaster with some especially violent tornadoes. There was also an outbreak in November, the first one in several years that I can remember. I feel bad for the people in Illinois who were affected by them, because they were homeless for the holidays, ad also during one of the most severe winters in recent memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Seems like it to me. I have been here northeast of Lubbock for five years. I've about forgotten what a tornado looks like (knocks on wooden desk.)
Of course, Lubbock got hit by a monster many decades ago.

It does seem to me like tornado activity has moved east over the last couple of decades, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Tornado activity has been down the last couple of years all over the country - so have the hurricanes.
We didn't have a single hurricane make land fall last year in the USA .... I don't ever recall that, and I went through my first big hurricane in Texas in the '60's.
I guess Mother Nature used up most of her hurricane inventory in 2005, and most of her tornado inventory in 2011.

As for land-falling hurricanes, I think 2001 was another year during which no hurricanes made landfall in the United States. A tropical storm did early that hurricane season, but other than that, nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We'd have to have rain to get tornados...not a whole lot of that around.
That's true too. Rainfall has been pretty close to normal in Georgia, but that's because most of last summer was a washout.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:39 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Tornado activity has been down the last couple of years all over the country - so have the hurricanes.
We didn't have a single hurricane make land fall last year in the USA .... I don't ever recall that, and I went through my first big hurricane in Texas in the '60's.
Yes. I recall my family at Lufkin having a house full of relatives up from Freeport during Carla in 1961.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Of course, Lubbock got hit by a monster many decades ago.
That was May 1970. It was supposedly the worst tornado in Texas history. There were 26 deaths ranging in age from an infant to the very elderly.

That was two years after I came to the South Plains.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 AM

437 posts, read 924,923 times
Quote:
That was May 1970. It was supposedly the worst tornado in Texas history. There were 26 deaths ranging in age from an infant to the very elderly.

My father was an insurance adjuster in Lubbock at that time and took a lot of really amazing pictures of the destruction. With that being said, I've lived in West Texas and the South Plains for 35 years and have never so much as seen a tornado. Maybe tornado alley really is drifting east?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:

It was a bad one, but I've never heard it be called the worst. The 1953 Waco tornado killed over 100 and is tied with the Goliad tornado as the most deadly in state history. Incidentally, it was May 11, the same day as the Lubbock tornado and the same day that several other violent tornadoes have hit different parts of TX.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
My father was an insurance adjuster in Lubbock at that time and took a lot of really amazing pictures of the destruction. With that being said, I've lived in West Texas and the South Plains for 35 years and have never so much as seen a tornado. Maybe tornado alley really is drifting east?
West TX has always been a bit too far west to really be considered in the middle of tornado alley. You need moisture for tornadoes and it's always been dry. But, then again, it's drier now.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:43 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
West TX has always been a bit too far west to really be considered in the middle of tornado alley. You need moisture for tornadoes and it's always been dry. But, then again, it's drier now.
Tell that to Dimmit, TX. The 1995 tornado was a doosie.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Tell that to Dimmit, TX. The 1995 tornado was a doosie.
There certainly have been tornadoes in West TX. I'm not denying that. I'm just saying the frequency is lower in the western part of the state.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
You've been around nearly as long as I have. I came out in June of 1968.

The last real tornado funnel I saw was actually just outside of Lubbock in about 1986. My daughter and I had just come out of a cafe after hearing the radio announcer say there was a tornado on the ground. As we drove north on the west Loop, we saw a large white funnel tracking along the northwestern edge of the City. I think Reese AFB received some significant damage from that one.

Before that, I had seen funnels west of Clovis and at Bovina. That would have been in the very late 1960s and into the 1970s.

Right now, I'd take a small funnel if it would bring some rain. Today I am watering at least the front yard to keep my sparse Bermuda and trees from dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas