Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,911 times

Advertisements

I am a 57 year old male. I have a small pension, until my SS kicks in. Around 66 yrs old, I will file.
In the meantime, I have health insurance, a car, and would like to work part time , in insurance field.
Fully licensed in insurance and an income tax professional as well. I like to work out, ride a bike, and own a small boat. That's my wish list.

Any suggestions.?

Don NJ, wanna get out ! They tax my pension. Cost of living stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:01 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
A lot of retirees get mad when they decide on Texas because, though we don't have a state income tax, they get mad about the property taxes. I don't see the property taxes as high because you'll claim the Homestead Exemption, and when you're 65 you'll claim the over 65 exemption, but I've had many clients get frustrated when they saw the numbers. Have you run your numbers?

Beyond that, you don't really have a question. You're asking for suggestions, but suggestions for what? Which city to pick? We need to know a heck of a lot more to be able to pick a city out of thin air that you would enjoy.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM

334 posts, read 584,993 times
Well, I can suggest San Angelo, because you can have your boat there, the weather is pretty, and the jobs are picking up because it is on the periphery of the Permian Basin oil boom and the frack boom. Biking is great there and in Midland (not in the city, outside the city) because it is so flat.

I thought Beaumont was pretty, over in East Texas, and College Station is very nice as well.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:26 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Heh, he is one of the few that won't mind the property tax - he is coming from NJ!

Old 03-19-2014, 02:47 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
Well, I can suggest San Angelo, because you can have your boat there, the weather is pretty, and the jobs are picking up because it is on the periphery of the Permian Basin oil boom and the frack boom. Biking is great there and in Midland (not in the city, outside the city) because it is so flat.

I thought Beaumont was pretty, over in East Texas, and College Station is very nice as well.
Nasworthy's drying up and housing is getting scarce and expensive in Angelo and it will be even worse if the Cline develops into its full potential.Cost of living is going up too

Old 03-22-2014, 08:14 AM

73 posts, read 99,830 times
If I were you I'd move to the Harlingen, Texas area. You'd be close to South Padre Island, the cost of living is MUCH cheaper and they have a lot of senior mobile home parks. You buy a mobile home (like you would a house) on land you own and many look like regular neighborhoods, 'Sunshine Country Club Estates' is even gated with a golf course, a gym, clubhouse and much more. Most have amenities. If you go to realtor.com and type in Harlingen Texas, then type in mobile homes you'll see a list of some. Add a 20 mile radius and start with lower to higher. They will tell under description if they are for 55+. Harlingen is a nice area.

Crime is NOT as bad as some say even though it's close to the border. ALL towns and cities have drugs and crime. If you look for trouble, you'll find it.
This is a safe place, laid back, friendly place.

Last edited by TwoTexan's; 03-22-2014 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-23-2014, 09:44 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
San Angelo is a nice way to be completely isolated from civilization.

There are nice coastal towns such as Rockport ( only 25 miles from Corpus) that cater to retirees. Rockport has lots of ocean front -bay fron and intracoastal waterfront. Lots of boats.

I've also lived outside of Harlingen . They have perhaps the best winters in the state but the summers are near the worst in the US -expect most days at 100 and humid.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:30 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Look at Tyler, Nacogdoches, Lufkin. Plenty of insurance sales possibilities, and plenty of East Texas lakes. Moderate climate, seldom freezes (this year the exception).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas