U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 26,801 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am a stay at home mom to 3 kids, ages 7, 4, and 7 months. My husband is an avionics technician. We are looking to jump out of this southern California rat race and move to a place where we can have a home with space to roam, still have a big city nearby for arts, culture, recreation, but have a better focus on family values and surround ourselves with down to earth people. I've lived in SoCal most of my life and realize that there is such an emphasis on keeping up with the Joneses, it's sickening. My husband grew up in North Carolina and had a totally different experience from SoCal. We are trying to find OUR right place. We want to raise our family with good values and a friendly atmosphere. Tired of worrying about the house we'll never afford, the yard we'll never have, and the years that are slipping by as our children grow older and we keep waiting for something.

We've been thinking Dallas/ Fort Worth area, but do not know much about the area. Any info on best schools in the area, family friendly neighborhoods, any insight really would be appreciated. Any places that might fit what we're looking for? We did live in Waco for a short time before kids, but found we still craved the big city once in awhile. Our memories of people being super friendly in Texas has remained with us, therefore the consideration of relocating.

Thanks,
shaffergray

Last edited by shaffergray; 12-06-2007 at 02:00 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 02:04 PM

4,192 posts, read 14,075,594 times
pm sent to you...

Naima

Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,775 times
Default Hi!

I am a Texan all my life and would gladly welcome you to our state. Where do you want to relocate? I've lived all over Texas, but hubby and I now live in the DFW area. Do you know what city you want to live in?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-07-2007 at 11:53 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 08:48 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,713,812 times
Have you posted on the Dallas forum? You can get a lot of info on there.

Can you be more specific about what your husband does. American Airlines is based in DFW, so they area big employer. There are a couple places that handle government contract and do a lot of aviation stuff.

In the Dallas area Plano and Frisco are the big family oriented suburbs. Unfortunately there tends to be a lot keeping up with the Jonses in those communities.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,705,505 times
Dallas is also home to Southwest Airlines in addition to American Airlines, with two airports, DFW and Love Field. Houston is home to Continental Airlines with two airports also, Bush and Hobby.

So, while there are many family-friendly areas in both, you really just need to narrow down where your hubbie will be working and then look into areas nearby to live to avoid huge commute times.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Status: "Are you as ready for spring as I am?" (set 5 days ago)

50,436 posts, read 40,572,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffergray View Post
Hi all. I am a stay at home mom to 3 kids, ages 7, 4, and 7 months. My husband is an avionics technician. We are looking to jump out of this southern California rat race and move to a place where we can have a home with space to roam, still have a big city nearby for arts, culture, recreation, but have a better focus on family values and surround ourselves with down to earth people. I've lived in SoCal most of my life and realize that there is such an emphasis on keeping up with the Joneses, it's sickening. My husband grew up in North Carolina and had a totally different experience from SoCal. We are trying to find OUR right place. We want to raise our family with good values and a friendly atmosphere. Tired of worrying about the house we'll never afford, the yard we'll never have, and the years that are slipping by as our children grow older and we keep waiting for something.

We've been thinking Dallas/ Fort Worth area, but do not know much about the area. Any info on best schools in the area, family friendly neighborhoods, any insight really would be appreciated. Any places that might fit what we're looking for? We did live in Waco for a short time before kids, but found we still craved the big city once in awhile. Our memories of people being super friendly in Texas has remained with us, therefore the consideration of relocating.

Thanks,
shaffergray

In case you haven't made a decision yet, I would recommend Frisco. It's a booming area and very well-planned. Their school district keeps the high schools under 1,800 students so more kids can get involved in school life and extracurriculars. You may want to consider trying it. Keep in touch with your search results.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:33 AM

3,494 posts, read 13,400,357 times
avionics technician jobs-gosh there are alot of options-Lockheed Martin in Ft Worth, American Airlines in Ft Worth at ALLIANCE Airport. American Airlines at DFW. SWA at Love Field Dallas. Continental in Houston. SWA in Austin. Defense contractor jobs at FT HOOD (Killeen), DYESS AFB (Abilene), NASJRB (Ft Worth), NASK (Kingsville), NAS Corpus Christi/Flour Bluff...the list goes on and on. I would recommend all the areas mentioned except for Corpus and Kingsville.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:58 AM

2,326 posts, read 4,637,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
avionics technician jobs-gosh there are alot of options-Lockheed Martin in Ft Worth, American Airlines in Ft Worth at ALLIANCE Airport. American Airlines at DFW. SWA at Love Field Dallas. Continental in Houston. SWA in Austin. Defense contractor jobs at FT HOOD (Killeen), DYESS AFB (Abilene), NASJRB (Ft Worth), NASK (Kingsville), NAS Corpus Christi/Flour Bluff...the list goes on and on. I would recommend all the areas mentioned except for Corpus and Kingsville.

Dang Belle ... you do have your ducks in a row!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:11 PM

238 posts, read 715,772 times
Come to the 'burbs. They've got great housing and whatever else you might be looking for. We've got good lakes, too, if you like boating. Just stay away from the urban areas. I guaran-dang-tee ya, you'll like Texans' friendliness, or you'll get your money back.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,400,357 times
he he bobtex...i have just been exposed to alot of military/aviation stuff, having been military myself, and a flight attendant, and first and foremost, a Texan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Dang Belle ... you do have your ducks in a row!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas