Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times

Advertisements

Has anybody on here ever visited or lived in Port Lavaca on the gulf coast between Corpus and Galveston. I have an opportunity to relocate there instead of Florida so just wondering about the good and bad and please don't hold back. I know i'ts small but money is not a problem for me and wondering how's the beaches out there and etc..etc..

Thanks for any info.....
6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
I think Port Lavaca is a real gem on the Texas coast. My family has taken 3 vacation trips there.

This is the working part of the coast, with significant presence outside of town by the oil and fishing industries. There aren't many public beaches in or around town, other than the city owned beach. If you're after a beachfront lifestyle, there is a lot of coastal residential development happening in Calhoun County outside of Port Lavaca, which I assume will include some private beaches. The fact that this development is happening seems to indicate that Port Lavaca won't stay hidden for long.

PL's not as touristy as other coastal cities. It has enough shopping that you won't miss the big city.

If I was looking for a retirement destination or had a job that was not location-dependent, PL would be on my short list.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Quote:
which I assume will include some private beaches
Not in Texas

Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 AM

Thanks Bowie as that was lots of great info. Another question....do you remember what cities you can get the radio stations out of. Would it be Corpus or Galveston/Houston etc... Like to take my portable radio on the beaches there if i choose to go there.

Thanks again.....6/3

Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 AM

Trainwreck....are you saying that all the beaches are free along the coast?? That would be nice if true as i never thought about some beaches being private...

Thanks again for your info.....6/3

Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thanks Bowie as that was lots of great info. Another question....do you remember what cities you can get the radio stations out of. Would it be Corpus or Galveston/Houston etc... Like to take my portable radio on the beaches there if i choose to go there.
You get both Corpus and Houston stations on the radio in PL. I think the local stations on cable TV are either all or mostly from Houston, although there is a Victoria station, too.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Trainwreck....are you saying that all the beaches are free along the coast??
Well, state law makes all beaches public property. It doesn't make them all free, though . I think that you can WALK or ENTER all the beaches for free, but some (Surfside, TX, for example) charge to PARK or DRIVE your car on 'their' beach. Anyway, an individual may not own or prevent people from using beachfront.

As an interesting aside, if you build behind the dunes somewhere (like western Galveston) and a hurricane 'moves' the beach so that your house is now on it, your house will be condemned and torn down. I think insurance covers it, but I would certainly make sure first....

Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 AM

O.k. thanks again for all the info Bowie and Trainwreck!!

Bowie ...question about the beaches. When i look on the map i see Port Lavaca is right on the water on Matagorda Bay but i noticed that the Matagorda Islands parallel the coast line so are the beaches on the outer island(s) so i'll to drive out to them or are there beaches right next to Port Lavaca on Matagorda Bay.

Thanks again !
6/3

Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 AM

There are very few Texas beaches that are on the 'mainland', almost all are out on the barrier islands. The Texas coastline is very marshy and runs right down to the waters edge (of the water runs right up into the land).

So, yep, you will probably have to drive to the beach, although there are some seawalls and piers, sometimes, on the bayside.

Below are two pictures taken from the same altitude. The first one is Port Lavaca downtown and the second is the beach just south of town. You can see the beaches and surf out on the gulf shores, and you can see the lack of beaches on the interior (near Pt. L).

Of course, here is Pt. L downtown relative to an alumina plant that extracts alumina from bauxite (the rust color). I think it is still a superfund site for mercury contamination somewhere around the plant? Not sure if that has been resolved or not.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 04-01-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 02:11 PM

That was excellent Trainwreck as i see i'd have to travel out to the barrier islands. I'm starting to rethink more about Freeport now as it is right on the beaches as i really want to be right up on them as that's why i'm looking at a small town or city so i don't have to travel 45 minutes or so just to get to the water.

Thanks again for all your help Trainwreck.....

Bowie ......or anyone else ever been to Freeport???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas